Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old ammo and firearms.

User Info Menu

Old ammo and firearms.

The "How OLD is your carry ammo?" got me to thinking...

I have an old S&W model 2 38 pistol that belonged to my Great grandfather. I have one full box and a partial box of .38 S&W smokeless cartridges made by Remington Arms. My father was born in 1923 and he inherited these from my grandfather who was born in 1898. These are at least 100 years old and I have yet to have a misfire.

old 38 ammo.jpg
    I just don't feel safe in gun free zones...

User Info Menu

I bought an old 8mm Mauser from a lady for fifty bucks. Bunch of 1943 ammo. Shot it all up just fine.
    I wonít be wronged, I wonít be insulted, and I wonít be laid a hand on.

User Info Menu

Twin cities 1955, 30-06....no issues so far

Expert

User Info Menu

I have a couple 50 cal cans full of 7mm mauser from the 1920's that i have had no issues with, shoots great in bolt guns and semi autos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper 79 View Post
    I bought an old 8mm Mauser from a lady for fifty bucks. Bunch of 1943 ammo. Shot it all up just fine.
    Similar situation here. Bought a Steyr M95 for cheap with a bunch of nazi marked 1938/39 8x56r. It all shot great. Kicked like a goat on steroids. Shoulda kept that gun.
    Pitter patter.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I got a deal on quite a bit of 5.56, Nam era. It was in belts so I shucked it loose and it shoots just fine.
    Have a great day.
    Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joniki View Post
    The "How OLD is your carry ammo?" got me to thinking...

I have an old S&W model 2 38 pistol that belonged to my Great grandfather. I have one full box and a partial box of .38 S&W smokeless cartridges made by Remington Arms. My father was born in 1923 and he inherited these from my grandfather who was born in 1898. These are at least 100 years old and I have yet to have a misfire.

old 38 ammo.jpg
    The oldest ammo I've shot is WWII surplus. Mostly Russian bore eating ammo. I found a few 44 magnum rds in a tin coffee can that my dad had in a block shed no lid on can. They were from our elk hunt in Colorado 34 years ago. I put them in the tumbler got them shined up again going to see if they will still fire sitting in that damp shed all these years. They are Winchester 240gr Jacketed soft points. If I make it home today with some daylight left I'm going to try them out.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Donít know why but this thread reminded me of this video, digging up 75 year old mortar rounds and the powder is still good. Crazy Russians
    Tetelestai.

Plinker

User Info Menu

My dad has some whats got to be like 40-50s 7.7 jap that we have shot without issue, as for carry ammo I know alot of guys like to replace after a year or so, I was just actually reading an article about carry ammo with function issues because it had been cycled in and out of magazines too often by a LEO. Really got me thinking

User Info Menu

I've only recently shot up the last of the WWII issue .45 ammo that I had. I didn't have any reliability issues with it, but it left a lot of residue. And it kicked like modern +P ammo (or slightly more).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast