• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I'm the type of guy that is drawn towards some guns. Sometimes in the past, I have made a, what some would call, "stupid" trade, but for some reason, I couldn't override the head, and went with the heart. Example.... years ago I had an FN-49 (late 80's) it was not firing at the time, needed a firing pin (pre interwebs), I saw an old Fox Model B double barrel, and just had to have it, so I made the trade. I traded the gun awhile later for another one, for what, I don't remember. How many of you all would trade a high tech Gee Gaw machine for an old type gun that tugs at your heartstrings? I'm at the point in my life that I have few guns that will go to my son when the Lord calls me, in the mean time I have some that have no sentimental attachment assigned, and are up for trade, would y'all make that kind of trade? Value would usually be about the same, but......

Last edited:

jwleeper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    It still comes down to " different strokes for different folks ". I'm an old guy so I'm still into real wood and blue, that's just me. I do have some laminates and black rifles but I still like the oldies.
    Have a great day,
    Jim

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Why keep a gun you don't like when there's something out there you do want? :dunno:
    It's not a matter of not liking a certain gun, it's just one that may, or may not have been bought on a whim, and would be practical in a SHTF scenario, but other wise sits unused. What with all the stuff going on right now, I am not actively looking, but you never know...Just looking to the wisdom of the braintrust known as INGO, or just putting the question out there...

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I've already decided through past conversations that I'm unique on INGO because I'm a gun roach motel. They check in, but they don't check out. I've never sold a gun and have no immediate plans to do so. I have pretty much always been in a position where I was buying the thing they were the most likely to attempt to ban next, so, most of my stuff is reasonably suited to SHTF just by happenstance.

BUT... I also have what is probably a micro collection vs. many here, so space and such has never been a huge concern. I will say that I would sell a lot of other stuff before anything to do with firearms.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I trade to get what I want, which inherently has more value than what I currently have that I don't want. Years ago I traded an almost new Model 629 Classic for a used "Dirty Harry" edition Model 29. At the time, on paper, he was getting the better "deal". But I wanted the 29 and he wanted the 629 so we were both happy.

I don't have the 29 anymore, but that is a different story.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I would definitely make a trade. Did that very thing not long ago. Had a gun that I traded for that I didn't really need or even want particularly, but the value was right for me. A while later, traded it for a different gun that was much more desirable to me. Everyone ended up happy.

4x4strongman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 16, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Like a few above had commented on already. I think if you have something that your willing to part with, for something that is really giving you the heebee jeebees you might as well trade, because your going to enjoy it more than something you aren't using much

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Why keep a gun you don't like when there's something out there you do want? :dunno:

This.

Life is too short to shoot guns you don't like or don't shoot well. I held on to the Glock platform for years because I kept telling myself I had too much invested in the gun, mags, night sites, holsters, training, etc. The problem is I never did learn to shoot the darn thing well.

I finally broke down and sold all my Glock stuff and switched to a H&K VP9. I am so glad I did. It's much more fun to shoot when you can consistently hit what you're aiming at.

I have actually sold off several guns in the last 6 months. Some I never thought I would sell. But I've turned the corner to where I am much more interested in quality than quantity.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This.

Life is too short to shoot guns you don't like or don't shoot well.

I finally broke down and sold all my Glock stuff and switched to a H&K VP9. I am so glad I did. It's much more fun to shoot when you can consistently hit what you're aiming at.

This is how I am with the switch to red dot. I spent (wasted) almost 5 years trying to figure out how to deal with cross dominance and reading glasses and front sights. On top of that, my attitude that I want to focus on where I want the shot to go and not some piece of steel 2' from my face.

Now I enjoy shooting so much more and I can actually work on things like grip, trigger pull, etc.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I seldom trade. I do occasionally sell one, but not even that very often. As I'm getting older, I enjoy giving utility firearms to the kids, and occasionally buy a nice piece for myself. Consequently, some of the cheaper stuff gets traded or sold off. I swear, I'm TRYING to cut the collection down!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've never been much of a trader. I've sold a few, but I'm a collector. I just renewed my C&R license, and there are two questions you have to fill out on the renewal form. One is how many (C&R) guns you've bought with your license in the last 3 years, and the other is how many (C&R) guns you've disposed of (sold) in the past 3 years. Buying won out over selling 29 to 2. And one of the ones I "sold" was actually a gift to my grandson, but I had to record it as being "disposed of" to his father. So really, only one was a sale, and it was really a trade (to indiucky) for another gun in his shop.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I'm the type of guy that is drawn towards some guns. Sometimes in the past, I have made a, what some would call, "stupid" trade, but for some reason, I couldn't override the head, and went with the heart. Example.... years ago I had an FN-49 (late 80's) it was not firing at the time, needed a firing pin (pre interwebs), I saw an old Fox Model B double barrel, and just had to have it, so I made the trade. I traded the gun awhile later for another one, for what, I don't remember. How many of you all would trade a high tech Gee Gaw machine for an old type gun that tugs at your heartstrings? I'm at the point in my life that I have few guns that will go to my son when the Lord calls me, in the mean time I have some that have no sentimental attachment assigned, and are up for trade, would y'all make that kind of trade? Value would usually be about the same, but......

Sometimes trading is practical, sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's based on value, or practicality, or pure desire for a "Holy Grail" of the moment, or just a desire for change. That's a pretty noncommittal answer, I know.

Each trade is different. I think it's rare to make a trade of a niche gun for another niche gun, and it can take a long time to find a trader. Something like trading an obscure semiauto rifle for an obscure sporting clays gun might be kind of difficult, even if the values are roughly the same. The intersection of interest in those two vastly different guns is probably very small. Probably doesn't even have a stop sign at that intersection. ;)

I've made some lopsided trades as far as market value goes, both in my favor and against it. Doesn't bother me, as long as we both walk away with a smile on our face. I've bought and sold and traded many guns in my life, more than I can probably recall, even excluding my time as an FFL. I really don't care much about what I paid for a gun when I sell or trade it. If I've owned it and used it for several years, then I don't mind a little loss. It's like a rental fee in a way. I don't get too wrapped up in it.

Bottom line is, it depends. I'd rather trade a gun I'm not so excited about anymore for a gun I am excited about, even if the deal is lopsided.

Then again, some people have some unrealistic ideas about the value of their guns, so you've got that to deal with too. That sound you just heard was me opening a can of worms. Oh crap, they're crawling out all over the place. :abused:

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    I've only traded 2 guns, oddly enough both SHTF variants. One was purchased on a whim and it looked cool and still does but it just sat in the safe. It became a wheel gun that I hated when I first saw it
    in stock form at a gun show but this one, with a simple grip change by the previous owner, needed to be mine.

The second trade was for sentimental/family reasons dad had a muzzleloader but due to health reasons he can't use it anymore so he was going to sell it. That muzzleloader is part of my favorite
    range memory, it's the first big gun my oldest son shot, with my dad at the bench right next to him. Traded him an AR for it, I got the better end of the deal.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I've only traded 2 guns, oddly enough both SHTF variants. One was purchased on a whim and it looked cool and still does but it just sat in the safe. It became a wheel gun that I hated when I first saw it
    in stock form at a gun show but this one, with a simple grip change by the previous owner, needed to be mine.

The second trade was for sentimental/family reasons dad had a muzzleloader but due to health reasons he can't use it anymore so he was going to sell it. That muzzleloader is part of my favorite
    range memory, it's the first big gun my oldest son shot, with my dad at the bench right next to him. Traded him an AR for it, I got the better end of the deal.

That's what I was saying. :cheers:

It's not really about the money, it's about the smiles on your faces at the end of the deal.

I have traded an AR (one of many) for a revolver of somewhat lesser value. I was happy.

When I sold a collection of pistols, I gave out some good deals here, but none as good as the deals that I gave to two of my neighbors. They really made out, but we are like-minded people who are there for each other through thick and thin.

Now, I'm trying to figure out what to do with a rifle I have that I'm tired of. Do I offer it for trade here, for a rifle that probably cost more but hasn't grown as much in value? Do I put it on Gunbroker and get way more than I paid for it, then buy the other thing I want after dealing with an auction, and fees, and shipping, time, and payment, and communication issues and such? Do I just keep it, because the closer we get to Biden's gun ban, the more it will be worth?

Seriouly, the gun market gives me more heartburn than the stock market. :):

Top Bottom