• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    https://www.menards.com/main/black-...8-c-13917.htm?tid=-7476114351610515065&ipos=2

Its a black Friday special but what do y'all think of them?

Was thinking of putting one in the camping trailer and was thinking it would be a decent safe to balance weight considerations and security for carrying a couple rifles, shotguns, pistols, along with a few mags, accessories and ammo.

"Unfortunately, the vendor is unable to supply this item at this time. Please check back again in the future."

Looks like it may be too late.

Oops! ETA:

"Sold in Stores
    This product will be available in store only starting on Friday, November 27th. Prices are good thru December 6th and all items are available only while supplies last."

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't know anything about them, but it seems like a decent price. However, I think the people that determine safe capacity are the same ones that determine tent capacity. If it says it holds 30 guns, it's probably more like 15.

Ain't no way this one holds 30 guns, unless 25 of them are small handguns.

4828976_gunsafe_2020.jpg

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Just thought about it, if you look at the door, there a spot to put a rifle.
    The butt sits in a pocket at the bottom and a velcro strap goes around the forearm

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I bought their 30 gun safe 8-9 years ago. I took out the rifle scallops and bought a set of rifle rods. I can store all of my guns easily but I have no where near 30 guns so I have lots of room. I also keep my fire safe in there that holds important papers.

It works well for me. If someone broke into the house, providing they could find it, they could possibly pick the lock and get it open. They won't move it as I have it built into a wall and there is no room to move it out anymore. I will have to sell it with the house.

I put one of those golden rods in for humidity control.

I'm happy and will consider another one when I move and need a safe again.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    FWIW I don't have a high degree of confidence in the keypad access. On more than one occasion at Menards and RK I've seen the keypad separated from the safe. YMMV, I get it.

Back when I had guns, all my safes had dials.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I have the 12 gun model. I bought it almost 9 months ago and I haven't had any problems with it. I bought it just to hold BB guns and a backup home defense rifle and pistol, because the electronic lock gives me quicker access than the mechanical lock on my regular safe. I don't really trust electronic locks, but the 12 gun safe comes with a backup key in case the electronic lock fails, so that was a big selling point for me.

It's well built for what it is. I did look at the larger ones while I was at the store, and they seemed equally well built too. Obviously, they're not going to keep out a team of international jewel thieves, but Methbilly Joe ain't going to bother with it. He's just going to grab your flat screen TV and go.

For that price, it looks like a good deal.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Yeah. They tell you that you have to remove all the shelves to get 30 guns in there. Thanks for the replies.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have the 12 gun model. I bought it almost 9 months ago and I haven't had any problems with it. I bought it just to hold BB guns and a backup home defense rifle and pistol, because the electronic lock gives me quicker access than the mechanical lock on my regular safe. I don't really trust electronic locks, but the 12 gun safe comes with a backup key in case the electronic lock fails, so that was a big selling point for me.

It's well built for what it is. I did look at the larger ones while I was at the store, and they seemed equally well built too. Obviously, they're not going to keep out a team of international jewel thieves, but Methbilly Joe ain't going to bother with it. He's just going to grab your flat screen TV and go.

For that price, it's looks like a good deal.

The 30 gun safe also has the backup key.
    Floor of the safe is drilled for anchor bolts

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I bought one today and it’s fine for the $$. Nothing great but a reasonably cost effective box that provides some security and fire protection.

It will be just fine for what I’m going to use it for. Now to move it downstairs...

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I bought one for ammo. They can be opened up using a high powered rare earth magnet. Easy peasy but there is a hack to counteract it.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    The 30 gun safe also has the backup key.
    Floor of the safe is drilled for anchor bolts

That key is an excellent feature. Of course, if the electronic lock should fail at the worst possible moment, then I have to open the mechanical lock on the regular safe to get the key, where I will have access to all my other guns, so... :abused:

Still, it's a nice feature to have.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Its a little odd all the other sports Afield safes seem to have series names but this seems to be called Fire Rated. Home Depot seems to have sold the same safe for 599 but it was shown to be about 50lbs heavier and is listed as out of stock. I am interested in the safe at Menards but reluctant to go to the store without knowing if they have it in stock. It does not show what stock individual stores have of it.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Its a little odd all the other sports Afield safes seem to have series names but this seems to be called Fire Rated. Home Depot seems to have sold the same safe for 599 but it was shown to be about 50lbs heavier and is listed as out of stock. I am interested in the safe at Menards but reluctant to go to the store without knowing if they have it in stock. It does not show what stock individual stores have of it.

You're reluctant to go to a hardware store, because they might not have what you want in stock?

:@ya:

What the hell's wrong with you, man?

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Try Stock and Field or Rural King stores, they have them in their flyers also. The Rochester IN store had them in stock. For the money, they are better than nothing.

Top Bottom