New Crater discovered or why I need to find a new place to shoot.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    My last trip to my secondary range and I see this crater in the cement floor. Glad I was not there when it happened, especially sitting close. This range is actually part of a park and has collectively the most unsafe range "members" of any place I have ever been a part of. They are closed till spring but I might try to find another range . The part about not placing the finger on the trigger until pointed down range and are ready to shoot did not click with this individual.

Attachments

• a 1 a crater.jpg
      a 1 a crater.jpg
      145.6 KB · Views: 61

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Looks like every public range I have been to. Find your self a private club the good ones won't let you join if your safety habits are not up to snuff.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Well, shoot. Frank Merry was gonna be my first guess, but I thought I saw where Judy posted that it was closed a couple of weeks ago

Yeah they closed on the 14th , I "discovered" the crater a week of so before that. I'll be shooting at my primary range at Monroe Township Conservation Club but they have a trap shoot every other Sunday and that is usually my shooting day. At least the members there have a key so no non-members can't just show up out of the blue.

Last edited:

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Oh, I've seen plenty of silliness from longstanding members, and have elected to pack up and bail more than once.

You are not alone on that. I have seen quite a few behave them selves during the vetting process. That is what the board of directors is for but that only works if they are impartial.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Several years ago I had a trigger job done on a revolver. The first time I took it to the range, I drew the hammer back while the pistol was at my side and pointed the the ground. The hammer dropped and the pistol fired...

My last trip to my secondary range and I see this crater in the cement floor. Glad I was not there when it happened, especially sitting close. This range is actually part of a park and has collectively the most unsafe range "members" of any place I have ever been a part of. They are closed till spring but I might try to find another range . The part about not placing the finger on the trigger until pointed down range and are ready to shoot did not click with this individual.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Several years ago I had a trigger job done on a revolver. The first time I took it to the range, I drew the hammer back while the pistol was at my side and pointed the the ground. The hammer dropped and the pistol fired...

Yeah. Well. You know. Don't do that. I personally have never ever done anything dumb with a firearm. And if you believe that...

It's just that at some places you see stupidity on display on a far too regular basis.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    After many years of using assorted public ranges and privately owned indoor ranges I decided the best and safest option for me was my own set upnow have a range in my lower field that can go from 1 to 200 yards.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Ha "Wilbur Wright", at that one, (It has been awhile since I have been there), the dividers between the tables on the short rifle range looked like Swiss Cheese.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Most of my life lived on farms and safe shooting wasn’t an issue. After moving off of farm found a public DNR range. Shot there few times until while using rifle range notified other shooters I was going down range. While changing target a**holes next bench over started firing. Had a few choice words, packed up, and left. Found private rifle and pistol range nearby. New applicants for membership must under go evaluation thru series of supervised safety shoots with an RO, be “accepted” by BOD, etc. Still doesn’t eliminate violations as evident in indoor range by holes in ceiling, walls, and once a round went thru rear wall ( behind firing line ) thru club house, and lodged in wall. RO and myself last week found another hole thru wall on an angle that definetely broke the 180*. Public range, private range it’s impossible to eliminate all safety issues.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

I wonder what his INGO screen name is.

Top Bottom