What I saw at today's Bloomington In Gun show: AKA who flagged me??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    On my way to meet someone at the Monroe Co Airport I spied signs at the fairgrounds announcing a gun show. "What the heck, I guess I'll stop in after the meetup."
    So I get to the show, pay and go in. Not a bad showing of stuff. Reloading components (yes powder, primers, brass, pills), rifles, shotguns, handguns, optics. NO pie or BBQ or Gravy 'n bisquits though. Bummer.

I make it to the back row and am walking the aisle when I look to my left and on the next aisle over there is a rifle/AR pointed right at me with some jackaXX twiddling the optics knob on it. He has it shouldered and pointed straight ahead at me. Lord knows what else was in the path. SO...... moving on shall we say??? There is just a lot of stupid out there.

Second best was the guy carrying a revolver around by the trigger guard. The cylinder was closed and zipped tied so that it could not rotate at least but still the barrel was pointing every-which-way as he browsed the show.

Anywho, it's on again tomorrow if anyone is interested.
    Let 'er rip INGO. Would you have made a fuss or chalk it up to "comes with the territory"?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    On my way to meet someone at the Monroe Co Airport I spied signs at the fairgrounds announcing a gun show. "What the heck, I guess I'll stop in after the meetup."
    So I get to the show, pay and go in. Not a bad showing of stuff. Reloading components (yes powder, primers, brass, pills), rifles, shotguns, handguns, optics. NO pie or BBQ or Gravy 'n bisquits though. Bummer.

I make it to the back row and am walking the aisle when I look to my left and on the next aisle over there is a rifle/AR pointed right at me with some jackaXX twiddling the optics knob on it. He has it shouldered and pointed straight ahead at me. Lord knows what else was in the path. SO...... moving on shall we say??? There is just a lot of stupid out there.

Second best was the guy carrying a revolver around by the trigger guard. The cylinder was closed and zipped tied so that it could not rotate at least but still the barrel was pointing every-which-way as he browsed the show.

Let 'er rip INGO. Would you have made a fuss or chalk it up to "comes with the territory"?

oh yeah... I let stupid people know if they are endangering my life. No introvert here.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I spent a little time in the INGO booth at the 1500 with lovemywoods. Guys at random would come up, start talking and go to crank open whatever gun case they had. I'd stop them right quick and say, "I've seen those, thanks anyway."

Like Jim said, I pissed some guys off (sometimes vendors) that would swing muzzles my direction. I tended to make a show out of ducking and covering from the foolish. Lotta dirty looks. ;)

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i found a nice savage model 24 in 223/12g at a good price.......nice show for it's size.....oh and too no one sweep me either....

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

How did the prices seem? I'm looking for all kinds of stuff.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Went to the range yesterday.
    Evidently when knocking the empties out of your Ruger Single Six you have to turn 90 degrees and punch the ejector rod with the barrel pointed at the other benches.
    Old timer did that to me a couple times.

Now I wasn't paying attention if he shot 5 or 6, being a Ruger Single Six, the most favored item of the Fudds, I didn't ask myself if I was feeling particularly lucky.
    I was done at that distance so just moved my crap to a different range/bench.

After having so many people point loaded guns at me (worked at a shop for a little while)..........eh, flagged at a show doesn't register.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    After unloading more than one "unloaded" gun (which results in immediate removal from the range) while working RSO shift I find I'm more sensitive than I used to be about being swept. I chewed out an employee and customer at a local shop a few months ago and said employee is still butt hurt with me about it but I really don't care.
    RSO I work with, when told a gun is "not loaded" usually responds "mine IS loaded".
    First gun safety rule, and primary in my mind, Treat ALL guns like they are loaded. Therefore being mindful of where the muzzle is pointing should be a priority but sadly most people are either ignorant of that rule or stupid.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach

[FONT=&amp]SPB Links[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I spent a little time in the INGO booth at the 1500 with lovemywoods. Guys at random would come up, start talking and go to crank open whatever gun case they had. I'd stop them right quick and say, "I've seen those, thanks anyway."

Like Jim said, I pissed some guys off (sometimes vendors) that would swing muzzles my direction. I tended to make a show out of ducking and covering from the foolish. Lotta dirty looks. ;)

I think my best one was flipping the guy off that had the AR pointed at me playing with the optic. He marched over to the Ingo booth ready to get loud. That was one of the best ones I remember.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    How did the prices seem? I'm looking for all kinds of stuff.

i know you didn't ask me but ammo was high everything else pretty normal....
    Morning!
    Yup: Prices for weapons seemed "gunshow average." Primers were around $12/100 and I saw pounds of powder at $25 on some bottles (he even had some larger jugs). I noticed some sandwich baggies of lead for $1/lb. Shotshells were at $10-$12.
    Happy Hunting!

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I think my best one was flipping the guy off that had the AR pointed at me playing with the optic. He marched over to the Ingo booth ready to get loud. That was one of the best ones I remember.
    I think what I might want to do would not align with what I should do to "de-escalate" a situation. Heck, in today's social climate, the stupid guy could get shot by doing that, wouldn't you agree?
    I think I was distracted by lack of food and, in general, not focused or there may have been some cursing involved which could lead to getting kicked out I suppose. Which brings up a point of discussion I think:
    Any vendor or show official seeing such a egregious act with a firearm should eject the patron immediately with no refund. And maybe on his way out hand him a copy of the four rules of firearms.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Wanted to trade a lower and some cash for a standard length upper. LOL
    im seeing 1,200 dollar PSA rifles.

I saw a stealth stripped lower for 150 bucks.
    Ill just put my lower back in the safe until we all calm down a little bit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think what I might want to do would not align with what I should do to "de-escalate" a situation. Heck, in today's social climate, the stupid guy could get shot by doing that, wouldn't you agree?
    I think I was distracted by lack of food and, in general, not focused or there may have been some cursing involved which could lead to getting kicked out I suppose. Which brings up a point of discussion I think:
    Any vendor or show official seeing such a egregious act with a firearm should eject the patron immediately with no refund. And maybe on his way out hand him a copy of the four rules of firearms.

What I did was let this idiot understand not to point a gun at anything he did not intend to shoot. He left our area with a full understanding of this.

Yes, eject any and all idiots but by the end of the day half the patrons would be outside.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Was at Fort Wane coliseum back in the 90’s when a guy launched one into the ceiling, it was a dealers private peace his buddy was showing someone the trigger. Took him out in handcuffs, dealer was packing his stuff up. Luckily it didn’t start a chain reaction and he pointed it up, bet that was expensive.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    What I did was let this idiot understand not to point a gun at anything he did not intend to shoot. He left our area with a full understanding of this.

Yes, eject any and all idiots but by the end of the day half the patrons would be outside.

I wasn't there that day, I'd have remembered that one! It was at a 1500 where a patron managed to shoot off a finger with a 1911. He was outside the pavilion, but still...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was at a show and a guy picked up a 10/22 and pulled the trigger. The round went up towards the top of the bleachers in the gym and lodged in the wall.

No one did a thing.

I didn't go today. I had given up on gun shows several years ago and though I thought about this one, in the end I decided to stay home and do something fun; I cleaned one of my tool chest sections out. Took out all the tools, cleaned them, sharpened what needed sharpened and oiled what needed oiled. Then I cleaned the drawers and inside of the chest. That section is good til I pass them on to my kids.:): Two more sections then on to the cabinets! I figure it will be 8 partial days to complete this winter project.:)

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    , dealer was packing his stuff up.
    And as I remember, he was not a happy camper about any of it.
    He was throwing stuff together to get out of there fast.
    I believe his buddy got charged with discharging a firearm within city limits and endangerment.
    Also heard the dealer lost his FFL over it.

Top Bottom