• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Lets say Santa may want to get someone a Henry rifle for Christmas. This person has always wanted a Henry. To be honest, more for the looks and the history than any other valid reason. This is a WANT, not a need. The Golden Boy series is high on the list, so is an octagonal barrel. Again, for no reason other than its sorta cool. He would likely use it for deer hunting in Indiana. It would not be JUST for looks to hang on a wall. Not looking at any of the commemorative issues. What caliber should Santa be looking at? Why? All helpful input appreciated. Thanks.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Lets say Santa may want to get someone a Henry rifle for Christmas. This person has always wanted a Henry. To be honest, more for the looks and the history than any other valid reason. This is a WANT, not a need. The Golden Boy series is high on the list, so is an octagonal barrel. Again, for no reason other than its sorta cool. He would likely use it for deer hunting in Indiana. It would not be JUST for looks to hang on a wall. Not looking at any of the commemorative issues. What caliber should Santa be looking at? Why? All helpful input appreciated. Thanks.
    30-30

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    30-30

I have old henrys in .22 and 30-30 and both have been faithful and accurate.. the 30-30 was passed down from my dad when he bought when he got out of the navy after Korean War was done and it is still in mint condition

rwilky78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2016
    Kendallville
    I have a Henry Big Boy with brass receiver and octagon barrel in 357 Mag. I bought it to go along with my Ruger GP-100 and SP-101. I very much enjoy it

JTL165

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 26, 2020
    Central
    I enjoy my 45lc but probably would go 44mag. If you go through henry they will do a specialty serial number if you request. Probably too short on lead time for the holiday however

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Henry also makes a reproduction of the Civil War Henry in .44-40. This is the Henry I want but is about 3 times the price of the other Henry Rifles. For deer hunting here in Indiana I would go with a .45 Colt or .44 mag as I feel the .357 mag is to light a round. Unless you shoot a lot of high power the .45-70 can leave a good black or blue shoulder with a little as 10 rounds or less. I like the .38-55 :): better than .45-70 and it is good to go to 500-600 yards but can hit to 1000 yards. Harder to find ammo for though. Most calibers it is hard to find ammo at this time.:(

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    30-30

Not if he doesn't already have 30-30 ammo. It is scarce to nonexistent. SG Ammo has some right now for $1.50/round + shipping, but I bet it's gone by morning.

There is still 44 magnum available online, although it is disappearing fast as well. Plenty of power for Indiana deer at typical Indiana range.

Bad time to be buying anything in a new caliber that you don't already have a stack of ammo for.

Any other non-pandemic, non-shortage time, I'd still pick a 44 mag over a 30-30, if only because it gives me a reason to buy a matching caliber revolver. Or three.

:)

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Big Boy Steel here in 357 to share ammo with my wheel guns. LOVE it, and now I see they've come out with side loading gate Big Boys in 357. If I didn't have one already that's where my Santa wish list $$ would go!

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Another vote for 44 Mag (unless you have a .357 mag revolver that you want to match with). Trajectory is good for the first 100 yd, and you can hunt with it in Indiana on public land. I've shot one in 44 Mag and it's pretty soft shooting, my dad has also fired .44 special through one and said that it was like nothing. I hunt deer where .308 is acceptable, but the review I read for the long ranger in .308 didn't care for the trigger; even so, for me, that'd probably be what I go for. If you hunt on private land and have .308 ammo, maybe a good option for you, too.

I've been picking up .22 LR in the various actions (to teach kids how to operate various action types without spending $1+ per round). The Henry octagon is easily the most fun. I didn't get the golden boy, but that's up to you for style. But if the deer rifles are too big in budget, the 22LR frontiers would make an excellent squirrel gun for roughly half the price and are just a hoot to use.

ccityguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2014
    Columbia City
    .357 BigBoy Brass here. My reason for getting it was that Was already setup to reload .357 and have a couple .357 revolvers, made sense. Super accurate rifle with .357, less so with most all of the .38sepcial I have tried in it.

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 8, 2019
    Larry County
    I have had several Henry's through the years and you simply can not go wrong with a Henry! My suggestion is a 45/70 All Weather. Ammo is plentiful or, you can easily hand load your own with a Lee hand loader kit that you can buy off of eBay, if he can find primers, powder, bullets. This caliber is so tunable from a soft shooting close range 75-100 yards, to a hard hitting 400gr Buffalo load.

Last edited:

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    :+1: for the pistol calibers. The 357 gives you some flexibility with ammo (pretty important, right now). It is a hoot to fire and will be pleasant for just about any shooter. The 44 is a great option too! God bless Santa!

Top Bottom