Aug. '09 Indy 1500: CCW and the Indy 1500?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    Forgive a stupid question from a newbie to the board, but I'm headed down for the long drive to the Indy 1500 Pilgrimage today. I pretty much carry everywhere and aviod places I can't carry. So far, I have never carried to the Indy 1500 because I get the impression it is not allowed there, though I have never specifically seen any signs for or against. I just know they always ask "do you have any guns" when you come in, and I feel like I'd be lying if I said "no" when I really did. So I guess I won't carry today, unless you guys let me know that it's legal otherwise. Have a great day and I'll see you there!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Forgive a stupid question from a newbie to the board, but I'm headed down for the long drive to the Indy 1500 Pilgrimage today. I pretty much carry everywhere and aviod places I can't carry. So far, I have never carried to the Indy 1500 because I get the impression it is not allowed there, though I have never specifically seen any signs for or against. I just know they always ask "do you have any guns" when you come in, and I feel like I'd be lying if I said "no" when I really did. So I guess I won't carry today, unless you guys let me know that it's legal otherwise. Have a great day and I'll see you there!

It's perfectly legal to carry INTO the 1500. You just can't be loaded while inside.
    Carry there, unload in the parking lot, NO LIVE AMMO INDOORS!

Leave ammo in the car and enjoy the 1500!

BTW- I guess I SHOULD qualify, YOU DO NEED A LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you carry into the 1500, you'll have to unload before you enter and they'll zip-tie the action on your unloaded pistol. You're supposed to unload your magazines, too, but they never ask me that. They only ask if I have any guns... ;)

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    They checked mine yesterday and when I started to put my empty mag back in the box the officer said, "Put it in your pocket, gotta keep it seperate from the gun". There were 2 other mags in the box with the gun. These guys are somethin' else.:dunno:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Yup all above seem to be the standards, I just tell 'em (not that I have to) that I am looking for a new holster, zip tie the handgun, go inside, cut the zip tie, (keep it though) , re-holster and have a mag in my back pocket. I don't feel the need to be locked and loaded inside the building. If I did a helmet and BP vest would be in order too!

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I was going in about 9:30 & some body obviously missed the dozen or so no loaded weapons signs & handed a officer a loaded s&w m&p one in the tube with mag in gun .The po po was not happy with him ,He even handed to them barrel first.they confiscated the ammo of course & told him he could have the ammo when he left the premises.Shook them up enough that they couldnt figure out my complicated thumb safety on my unloaded 1911( put it on out of habit)

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    If you carry into the 1500, you'll have to unload before you enter and they'll zip-tie the action on your unloaded pistol. You're supposed to unload your magazines, too, but they never ask me that. They only ask if I have any guns... ;)

Didn't carry in today, but have to about 8 shows and have never been told to unload my mag. Of course it's always empty and they're in my back pocket when I walk in.

jerico616

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I don't even carry into the Indy 1500 anymore. A gun without ammo is like a car without gasoline - useless! Unless I'm selling the gun, I leave it secured in my vehicle.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    It's not technically illegal to carry a loaded firearm into the Indy 1500, but the property owner (like any property owner) has the right to exclude anyone carrying a gun - or in this case a loaded gun. By carrying a loaded weapon into the 1500, you run the risk of: 1) being removed from the property by security or the many police officers in attendance, and 2) having your firearm and/or ammunition confiscated - at least temporarily.

Separately - did you know that it is actually illegal to carry a firearm - or any other "deadly weapon" - into the state fairgrounds during the Indiana State Fair - whether or not you have an Indiana License to Carry? It's true - although it's only a civil rule promulgated by the Indiana State Fair Commission, so anyone violating this rule is only subject to expulsion and possible confiscation of their weapon - not criminal prosecution (assuming they have a license to carry). And this particular rule is specifically limited to the state fair - it does not relate to any other event at the fairgrounds.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Separately - did you know that it is actually illegal to carry a firearm - or any other "deadly weapon" - into the state fairgrounds during the Indiana State Fair - whether or not you have an Indiana License to Carry?

Yes I knew that.

It's true - although it's only a civil rule promulgated by the Indiana State Fair Commission, so anyone violating this rule is only subject to expulsion and possible confiscation of their weapon - not criminal prosecution (assuming they have a license to carry).

Now this part I did NOT know. Very interesting! You are coming in handy already! :D

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I pull the mag and dump the chambered before leaving the car and put the loaded mag in my pocket. When I get to the door, I hand the gun to the PO with the slide locked back and then holster it with the zip tie intact. My biggest concern about removing the zip tie while inside is that it could cause a problem in getting back out.

All in all, I try to cause as little trouble for the folks manning the show. I feel safe inside the show and do not think I need to carry loaded while in there. Once outside the door, I cut the zip tie and pop the mag back in with one chambered. I'm not crazy about the area around the gun show and think its a good idea to carry outside the building.

Just my way of doing it and so far, I have yet to be killed doing it that way.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    My biggest concern about removing the zip tie while inside is that it could cause a problem in getting back out.

I was told they use the orange zip tie to id YOUR gun, ie guns that belong to someone before they enter. All guns leaving must have a orange zip tie, OR a Indy 1500 sticker representing a gun you bought from a dealer.

I asked what happened if I had to remove the zip tie to fit a holster, or what ever, and the officer told me some vendors have extra zip ties, OR I could just keep the broken zip tie with me.

clay

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I was told they use the orange zip tie to id YOUR gun, ie guns that belong to someone before they enter. All guns leaving must have a orange zip tie, OR a Indy 1500 sticker representing a gun you bought from a dealer.

I asked what happened if I had to remove the zip tie to fit a holster, or what ever, and the officer told me some vendors have extra zip ties, OR I could just keep the broken zip tie with me.

clay

you are correct, the orange zip tie identifies a gun that was brought in by a customer. A white tie is a dealer gun. Dealers DO NOT however have extra orange ties if you cut yours off. Orange ties are on the front table with the police only.
    if you have bought a gun from a dealer you not only need the Indy1500 sticker, you also need a receipt.
    I know this is all a little late for this show, store it for Oct.

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel

Poking a stick into a hornets’ nest!! :stickpoke:

Ok this one is for all of those that refuse to do business with places that do not allow you to carry. You say that you CAN carry at the 1500 but you cannot be loaded. What good is carrying an empty weapon? In my opinion that is the same as not being able to carry! So why do you do business at the 1500? Double Standards anyone?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom