• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Can a GLOCK/1911 be fired while underwater numerous time (aka empting the click) without it malfucting? I ask becuase I was flipping thru the tibe on landed on CSI: Miami and they were talking about how some guy shot someone in the pool while the "killer" was in the pool with the gun underwater. That left me with a nagging feeling of is this hollywood fiction or not. anyone know?

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    It is possible. I'm pretty sure there are several videos of this on youtube if you would like to see it. I'm sure someone will come along and post one here if you want to see it.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I have fired the following handguns underwater-

Various 1911's in multiple calibers
    Glock- 17, 19, 29, 21
    SIG P-220, 225, 229
    Beretta 92
    Taurus 99
    Browning Hi-Power
    And probably a couple i've forgot.

Why?- Because I was young and wanted to prove a point.

They are in NO WAY reliable. Short cycles, chambering failures are the norm.

They are also notoriously inaccurate and effective range is usually measured in feet.

Hopes this helps.

BTW- This is not a new found phenomenon, we were doing this at the SOF conventions in the 80's.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Must be pistols don't have enough pressure, but I've read in a few different places that if you shoot a rifle underwater, you will make some crimson water and fish food (out of yourself...)

One I read was a true short story by Peter Capstick about a PH in Africa that swam out into a pond to fetch a kill and bought his .458 in case of a croc encounter... Well sure enough he was pulled under by one and had to shoot. Guess his rifle did a big old kaboom and tore him up pretty good. Pretty sure it shook off the croc though...

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    There are special cups that go on the firing pin that leave enough room for water to move around it, that allows the gun to shoot under water, don't try it with the full round cups.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks all guess there was some truth to the TV episode. Now they claimed that the guy (on the TV show) shot from one end of the pool to the other and killed the girl but that may be a stretch based on what you guys are saying about accuracy.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    They did it on Mythbusters last year bullet traveled maybe 4 to 5 feet. No energy left
    They also did it with a rifle and as I remember got a buldge in the barrel

Trujillo107

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    NWI
    They did it on Mythbusters last year bullet traveled maybe 4 to 5 feet. No energy left
    They also did it with a rifle and as I remember got a buldge in the barrel

Yeah they did it with a 50 cal big bore rifle. the round made it about a foot into the pool before it lost all velocity. So when you see a movie or tv show that has someone jumping off a boat to get away from gun fire and the rounds weeze more than half way to the bottom its safe to say that CGI

WoodWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    It is my assumption that it is possable to fire a gun under water, but trajectory will be skewed, as well as velocity.

Frankingun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    IIRC, make sure the barrel is either completely filled with water or completely empty before firing. I guess half filled causes weird pressure kabooms.

Top Bottom