• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I went to the range last weekend and was there for about 3 1/2 - 4 hours. I shot about 150 rds throught my p14 and apprx. 70 through my snubbie then sighted in my winchester model 70. A few different groups of people came and went while there and it got me thinking, how much time do you spend on an average range trip? Do you take certain guns and just stop in to test them and leave like the older gentleman with his 10/22 and 22 revolver or a run and gun like the two young kids who sped in shot a mag or two each and sped out(without signing the waiver). Or do you take many guns and spend hours at a time? :ingo:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    depends on whats going on in the world of shooting,

When I have the time I spend 4 or more hours,
    tonight I needed to check sight in on some guns and figure out why my witness was FTF (bad magazine) I spent about 1 hour

I've had the same experience as you, people come and go or stay for the day, I'm sure its as varied as each of our days

WHRJeff

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    South Bend
    It depends on what I'm at the range for. Usually, I'm sighting in a couple rifles/handguns (mostly rifles for sighting in) and it takes 3-4 hours depending on the quantity of firearms being tuned. Otherwise, if I just at the range with friends or co-workers showing them how to shoot then it is an hour and a half or two hours max.

You should do a poll on this!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    If there on my own sighting in I take my time, esp if just with one rifle. I try to let the barrel cool after every 3 shot group so for just the one rifle it may take an hour or two depending on how far off it is. Pistols depends on which ones I take and how much ammo, lol. If teaching friends it may take even longer. Or at least it did last time at Wilbur Wright trying to teach 3 friends at once.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Roughly 1.5 hours of handgun and 1.5 if offhand shooting rifle. I start to get sloppy after that. Sighting in or bench shooting though is a whole different ballgame. I like to take my time and shoot very slowly and let things keep cool.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Bloomington
    It is about a 40 mile round trip drive for me to go the range. So I usually load up the family, a picnic basket and an arsenal worthy of a war. That way everyone has something to shoot from pistol, rifle, and skeet. So it is an all day event for us. Lots of fun and everyone is responsible for cleaning the guns they shoot. So the wife and kids are getting pretty good at learning the in and outs of firearms.:ar15:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i only take one gun at a time, but my range is a 1 minute walk so there is no sence in talking alot. alot of times i only shoot for a few minutes but go a few times a day.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Untill it's time for lunch

I go to Wilber-Wright, 40 min drive. I like the morning get there at 8-9am stay to 11am. At least 2hrs, more if I'm shooting the Mosins:yesway: (50yds) and or the shotguns. Like ATF, my shoulder dictates how long I shoot the long guns.:laugh:Then it's time for lunch at the New Castle KFC Buffet after being on a diet all week.:rockwoot:

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I usually go for 2-3 hours and bring 3-4 guns. I am finding the joys of shooting bolt actions again vs. 25 round clips...saves ammo and I can savor what I'm doing vs. just drilling holes en masse. I'm about 10 min drive from local range, so sometimes hit it 2-3 times in a week. It's good to be retired!

Rog

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    generally I tend to stay 4-5 hours, but yesterday as ATF and Bisley have mentioned earlier and about the Mosin's.....my shoulder dictated. :):

Typically though I like to bring my Hi Point 995 carbine, both 9mm and .45 handguns and the shotgun for a couple cases of clays. Now those items have to be patient and wait their turn and accept the Mosin M38 into the firearms family. :D :yesway:

PunchPunch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Usually stay a couple of hours, but after we have started going to Wilbur Wright the good people and conversations have made us tend to stick aroun a little longer.:thumbsup:

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I usually spend anywhere from 45 minutes to 3 hours depending on who is with me. If someone is new to shooting and has a short attention span I only spend 45 minutes or so usually. If it is just myself I take about 3 hours.

Top Bottom