• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Took my varmints to the range yesterday morning. They both have been bugging me to go since I asked them if they were interesteda week or two ago. Both of them like to have or go to sleepovers and both (girl-12 and boy-9 almost 10) declined thier friend's invites because they knew we were going early in the morning.

I had the range bag all packed up with ammo, preloaded magazines and 10 speed loaders for the 686. A Federal 550 pack of 22lr, couple of boxes of .38 spl wadcutters, The kid's 22's, a Bearcat, my 686 and my FAL. Took off at 8:00 (that is early for the kids on a Saturday morning).

They had a blast. Shot every round of ammo I brought except for the nasty 357's that come home in the 686 and a magazine saved for the FAL. I have 7 25 round play magazines for my daughter's 10-22 plus three factory mags. So they went through over 700 rounds of 22lr in just a few hours and were scrounging under the table looking for ones we dropped to shoot at the end.

Some nice folks at the table next to us had a couple of 50 cal. muzzleloaders, they taught the kids how to load them and let them fire a few rounds from the smokepoles. Yes, they thought that was neat, were very nice and appreciative, told him thank you afterwards and helped clean up our brass and policed up the trash when it was time to go.

Couldn't have asked for a better daddy-kiddo day. Now my daughter wants a pistol. She loved shooting the 686 and the Bearcat. She thinks she wants a little 22 autoloader after shooting a Buckmark someone at another table lent her for a little while. Everyone there was commenting on how nice my kids were and several expressed how nice it was to see another generation out there shooting.

So now I need to keep my eyes open around here for a good deal on a 22 pistol for the girl. Something like a Buckmark, Woodsman, Ruger, Hi Standard, along those lines in a month or two. Got to save my lunch money...

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    sounds like a perfect day.... and it will get expensive. 1st you get the girl a pistol then the boy wants one......

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    :yesway::yesway: for being a good father.

Taking kids to the range................good.
    Teaching kids respect for guns.......Important!
    Spending quality time with them.....PRICELESS!!

I guarantee that those kids will tell their children about "the day I 1st shot a gun" down the road. Well done! :rockwoot:

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    sounds like a perfect day.... and it will get expensive. 1st you get the girl a pistol then the boy wants one......

I got the Bearcat from my dad when I was 10 years old, figure the boy will get it sometime next year. I'm sure dad would have wanted it that way. The girl just gave me a reason to start shopping around for a little autoloader... :D

They have been shooting with me several other times, but always seperatly since they fight like, well like brother and sister. They were a pain at times on the way there and the way back, but great little companions while we were at the range.

Went to the Henryville range. Decent little public range, you just have to keep an eye on everybody else a little since there is no safety officer. Normally when someone wants to go downrange to setup targets, everyone checks down the line. I made sure the kids set their guns down and a hands off rule while anyone was downrange.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Good job, pops. One of the few things my kids seemed to have in common with me consistently during their teen years and after the divorce was a love of going out to Grandpa's and shooting and fishing. Common ground from which the rest of it could heal. Found the "little" (19) one out there friday afternoon with a couple of her buddies when I stopped in to visit him after work. They were learning about the "magic" of grandpa's pond.. ;) it's a quarter of an acre, and grandpa feeds the fish...
    So good for you for spending time with them now. They'll never forget it.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    55 Spartan - I'm in Salem as well... I've heard good things about the Henryville range, but never tried it. My dad's got some acreage South of town by a few miles and I tend to go there. If you do hear of a range close to here, I'd definitely be interested!

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I shot a 0.375" 5 shot group with my Remington 581S this weekend using Fiocchi ammo. The second group had 4 shots in 0.25" and then I pulled the 5th. This was all from 50 yds. I have never been able to crack 0.5" with this gun...but I just now found the ammo that it absolutely loves!! I was a happy camper.

Still working out a load for my marlin 336C 30/30

Top Bottom