• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    Hello, I have a S&W 586 no dash .357 mag, that has a recall. I called S&W and they said all I have to do is ship it to them via UPS or Fedex overnight, and they will fix it free. I am having a problem finding which place accepts firearms. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Either one will take it if it's going back to the manufacturer.
    Call the stores to find out how they want it packaged, but DO inform them of the contents, AND BUY INSURANCE!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Hello, I have a S&W 681 no dash .357 mag, that has a recall. I called S&W and they said all I have to do is ship it to them via UPS or Fedex overnight, and they will fix it free. I am having a problem finding which place accepts firearms. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

I'll get flamed for this :D but........

HiPoint says to use Fed Ex and tell them it's "machined parts going back to the manufacturer" This a true statement as long as mags are removed and there is no ammo. (check the tube) . If there's ammo they MUST call the ATF.
    They also state "if asked if it's a firearm you must say yes"

I'd also buy insurance on the smith :)

Sorry, I love my 995.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'll get flamed for this :D but........

HiPoint says to use Fed Ex and tell them it's "machined parts going back to the manufacturer"

Not going to flame you, but that's bad advice. If the package gets lost, stolen or damaged and you try to make a claim, the shipper will deny the claim if you provided a misleading description. As long as the serial numbered part (frame) is there, it's a firearm and must be treated and labeled as such.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    UPS: Shipping Firearms

Be ready to bend over. It will have to ship from a UPS customer center NOT A UPS STORE!
    And you will have to ship it overnight will run about $50-$70 depending on the size of the package (since it is a handgun).

You need to very forward with the staff that it is a FIREARM/Handgun and you are shipping it back for repair at the manufacturer who holds a federal firearms license.

Make sure it is securely wrapped and packaged and unloaded.

You start lying about what is in the package and they open it up and I guarantee you they will call local LEO if not the BATFE while they are at it.

Honestly for a recall I would want S&W to ship on their dime. Tell them to send a call tag out.

PS Dave, there is a UPS customer center here on the southside of Columbus however there is probably one a lot closer to Greenwood if you get to checking around.
    If you want to find one simply ask your UPS driver where he is out of.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hey OP:

The FedEx/Kinkos on US 31 just north of Stop 12 will accept them. I shipped back to Springfield and Kahr.

But, I also had a pre-paid shipping label from each manufacturer.

I BELIEVE that the law stipulates that you let the common carrier know that a firearm is contained.

It MIGHT freak out the employee a little, but they have a "cheat sheet" that they can look up if it's ok or not; might have to re-assure them that as long as it's going to an FFL holder that it's perfectly legal.

Be sure that it gets sent overnight.

-J-

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    . If there's ammo they MUST call the ATF. .

ETA: Shipping ammo with a firearm in the same package is verboten (duh) everyone should know this.

However:

If you want to ship ammo simply label it as such with an "ORM-D small arms cartridges" shipping sticker and let the UPS people know it is ammo.

Nothing illegal about shipping ammo through a carrier like UPS or Fed EX.
    USPS will not ship ammo or hazardous goods.

Last edited:

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    If it is a recall I would think Smith-Wesson would either send you or you could down load a pre paid shipping label
    That's how it worked with my 22a recall. The turn around was only 7 days.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Put down the pipe dude.

If you want to ship ammo simply label it as such with an "ORM-D small arms cartridges" shipping sticker and let the UPS people know it is ammo.

Nothing illegal about shipping ammo through a carrier like UPS or Fed EX.
    USPS will not ship ammo or hazardous goods.

You are spreading bad information.

Put your own pipe down and read the post.

If you leave a round in the chamber of a gun they will call ATF. It says that in a Tuarus manual I just read as well.

It's bad info to tell someone that shipping a loaded gun will get them in trouble?

If so I'm sorry .....

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Not going to flame you, but that's bad advice. If the package gets lost, stolen or damaged and you try to make a claim, the shipper will deny the claim if you provided a misleading description. As long as the serial numbered part (frame) is there, it's a firearm and must be treated and labeled as such.

Gotcha. You're right. On a 995 I'm only out $160 but a S&W is a different story.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Put your own pipe down and read the post.

If you leave a round in the chamber of a gun they will call ATF. It says that in a Tuarus manual I just read as well.

It's bad info to tell someone that shipping a loaded gun will get them in trouble?

If so I'm sorry .....

Who the heck would even consider shipping a loaded firearm?
    Shipping a firearm unloaded goes without saying.
    From what I gathered it sounded like you were saying it was illegal to ship ammo in general (which it is not).

Last edited:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Who the heck would even consider shipping a loaded firearm?
    Shipping a firearm unloaded goes without saying. It didn't take the Taurus manual for me to figure that one out.
    From what I gathered it sounded like you were saying it was illegal to ship ammo in general (which it is not).

I was just trying to warn about accidently doing it. I could have worded it better. After second look my remarks are kinda schetchy.
    I shoulda held my tongue as novice in the whole shipping thing.
    I should also not take HiPoint's word as gospel either:facepalm:

<crawls away>

Last edited:

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hey OP:

The FedEx/Kinkos on US 31 just north of Stop 12 will accept them. I shipped back to Springfield and Kahr.

But, I also had a pre-paid shipping label from each manufacturer.

I BELIEVE that the law stipulates that you let the common carrier know that a firearm is contained.

It MIGHT freak out the employee a little, but they have a "cheat sheet" that they can look up if it's ok or not; might have to re-assure them that as long as it's going to an FFL holder that it's perfectly legal.

Be sure that it gets sent overnight.

-J-

I have shipped a pistol at the same place also. They had to make a copy of the FFL I was sending it to though.

I have also shipped through UPS. You have to go to the hub which is on W 16th street. Just west of the wharehouse is a small building that you can drop off or pick up packages.

USPS is the easiest in my opinion. I have shipped a dozen or so guns through them without a porblem. They told me I did not have to tell them it was a firearm.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    just shipped a firearm via USPS a week ago.... called ahead and told them i would be coming.... got there, and sent it priority mail.... this was a long gun to... really big package, clerk didnt even bat an eye.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    just shipped a firearm via USPS a week ago.... called ahead and told them i would be coming.... got there, and sent it priority mail.... this was a long gun to... really big package, clerk didnt even bat an eye.

Long guns you can do by mail; handguns (which is what the OP was asking about) have to be shipped by common carrier (FedEx, UPS, etc), and most if not all require them to be sent next-day.

Nimrod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Floyds Knobs
    Back to factory

I sent my Kimber back to the factory via UPS. I shipped from the clarksville district office. It cost $60 and the contents had to be verified. It had to be overnighted.

MeltonLaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Downtown Indy
    3 things:
    1. Shipping a firearm costs a lot of money, on a recall I'd make the manufacturer pay for it.
    2. Identify the contents for the purpose of insurance.
    3. Get the max insurance that would cover your replacement costs.
    I shipped a gun to kimber last year and it cost $70 through UPS. Unfortunately the gun fell off the truck prior to being delivered. Luckily I had the max amount of insurance on the gun because it took every bit to replace my kimber considering a got a great deal on the gun in the first place.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I appreciate all the help and info. I called S&W, and the are sending me a prepaid shipping label with shipping instructions. That saved me probably $100 or so. I called Fedex, and they said I had to ship from a hub.

Thanks, Dave

Top Bottom