Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

If all enthusiasts learned these four "commandments" of weapons handling and safety we would live in a much safer world. Teach these four rules to a young or an old enthusiast, they will spread.

User Info Menu

Lt. Col Jeff Cooper was a Marine and gave us these basic safety rules that we had to repeat every morning on the range before firing.
    Treat, Never, Keep, Keep
    1)Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
    2)Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
    3)Keep your weapon on safe until you are ready to fire
    4)Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire

one that a lot of Marine units are starting to adapt due to house clearing and CQC

5)Know your target and what lies beyond
    Warriors act, fools react

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

" If they ask what 'Semper fidelis' means, tell them my story", John W. Ripley.

User Info Menu

I'm actually glad to see my dad taught me properly right from the git go. I started shooting at 10 with dad's 10-22 rifle. He drilled these four rules into my head right away...hence I do the same when I take out newbies. I'm going to print this list out, print it and put it in my range bag. This will help to reinforce the rules when shooting with those of lesser experience.

Plinker

User Info Menu

This thread has been very helpful, as I am looking to become a first time gun owner. I want to make sure I am safe as possible. My man has really gotten me with the gun bug, this site in general is extremely helpful and interesting to me.

Plinker

User Info Menu

This is a great thread and helped me with ideas. I have started a blog to talk about gun safety and the importance of it: Authority Safes Blog Do you have insights into topics you would like covered. I am pro gun ownership and that is why our company started a Safes site to make safes affordable for every firearm owner. While we are helping make firearms safe, we would like to educate as well. So your feed back is appreciate.

D
    Authority Safes
    Affordable Honeywell American Made Safes
    Honeywell Safes - Honeywell Security, Fire, & Wall Safes

Plinker

User Info Menu

Jeff Cooper was the greatest gun writer & trainer there ever was. We lost a great man when he died.

Plinker

User Info Menu

The beauty in this rules:

KISS

Keep
    It
    Simiple
    Stupid

Plinker

User Info Menu

I'm a complete noob, and I always preach keeping finger off the trigger, and making sure the barrel is away from persons. Yet it hasn't failed that when I'm in a gun store, the staff will ignore the pointing rule when handing over a gun: the barrel is ALWAYS pointed at the receiver - makes me so damn mad.

Thanks for the thread.

-Chet

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chet wisner View Post
    I'm a complete noob, and I always preach keeping finger off the trigger, and making sure the barrel is away from persons. Yet it hasn't failed that when I'm in a gun store, the staff will ignore the pointing rule when handing over a gun: the barrel is ALWAYS pointed at the receiver - makes me so damn mad.

Thanks for the thread.

-Chet
    i agree i cant tell you how many times i have had a gun pointed at me in stores and even worse, at the range. complete lack of focus from the handler its ridiculous!
    i got laughed at once cause i picked up one of my nephews squirt guns awhile back and my trigger finger instinctively stayed out of the triggerguard. they all laughed and said your holding it like a real gun! i guess it was kind of funny, but i really cant help it. anyway great sticky thread!!!

Plinker

User Info Menu

when i was very young a friend of mine was the son of the local chief of police. the boy got one of his fathers guns that was left unsecured and accidently shot himself. these rules may have saved his life.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast