Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Home Made Range Accessories

I'm looking for ideas for some range props if you will.

A shooting bench that is like 5 feet long, 4 feet wide at one end, then 2 feet wide at the other end, to use while shooting a rifle. I've seen them in various pictures if you're not sure what I mean, I can post the picture. Not necessarly with those dimensions, but I couldn't think of any other way to describe it.

Some type of barrier to shoot a rifle and using it as a standing support and kneeling support.

Target stand.

And anything else that might be useful.

Anyone have some designs, dimensions, or detailed pictures?

Thanks!

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gaudard View Post
    I'm looking for ideas for some range props if you will.

A shooting bench that is like 5 feet long, 4 feet wide at one end, then 2 feet wide at the other end, to use while shooting a rifle. I've seen them in various pictures if you're not sure what I mean, I can post the picture. Not necessarly with those dimensions, but I couldn't think of any other way to describe it.

Some type of barrier to shoot a rifle and using it as a standing support and kneeling support.

Target stand.

And anything else that might be useful.

Anyone have some designs, dimensions, or detailed pictures?

Thanks!
    Do a search on homemade ranges on this forum. There have been a few pics posted in the short time I've been here.
    Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

User Info Menu

lovemywoods and I are always discussing these kinds of things to do on his range. Here is what we've come up with:

Shooting Bench

He's an engineer-- I will leave it at that!

Details can be found here: http://ingunowners.com/forums/access..._pictures.html

Target Stands

We have one permanent 'target stand' that is basically 3 posts with 2 'tables' mounted in between. We generally put bowling pins on the tables and knock them off. The boards on the ground help the bowling pins to roll down so they're easier to pick up. We also have a cable running the tops of the posts to hang targets from.

He also has built several portable target stands from PVC piping. I believe he found the simple plans online. A Google search should yield several results.

Barricades

The next thing I think we should build would be a couple of VTAC-style barricades. (pic below not ours)

You'll get a chance to see these things in person at the MDFI class in December. Hope this helps!

User Info Menu

tag
    The reason I am Peaceful, is because I like Violence and Mayhem a little to much...

Shooter

User Info Menu

Holder for paper targets.

That's my shooting bench behind it. No painting, no rot, no bugs, been there out in the weather for 10 years now and it worked just as good yesterday as the first day I built it.

Set of home made bipod/shooting/walking stick sized to shoot as a bipod from camp and lawn chairs and shooting stick standing up in high grass.

These are my swinging steel targets with the limestone posts and table top to set knock down targets on top or I've used some of those mobile steel targets to put more swinging targets on top for now.

Hooks you can use to hang these on a limb or what ever you want, you can put spikes through those holes and make them stand up independantly.

Made my clay thrower mobile to move around for different shots like a sporting clays course.

I don't like to keep building the same thing over and over again so I use stone and steel for everything I can. The stone, real estate signs, and old fence are all free so that pretty much sealed the deal for me.
    Last edited by Jack Ryan; 10-24-2009 at 11:06.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Very nice, thanks!

I think I may build that baracade today.... or bring my camera to the MDFI, course probably do that anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gaudard View Post

I think I may build that baracade today....
    Plywood Shooting Barricade - AR15.COM

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by esrice View Post
    Shooting Bench

He's an engineer-- I will leave it at that!

Those are the same style of benches used at the Pigeon River range. Very nice!

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Shooting table

I have made several shooting tables using "banquet table" legs available at Home Depot, Menards, or Lowes. They fold flat and don't weigh much, depending on the plywood you choose. You can make the top any size you want. I usually start with a 2' X 4' plywood panel then cut it to the final shape. My latest ones have laminate tops and work well with bags. I think if you make it much longer than 4', it may need some reinforcement underneath unless you go to 3/4" plywood. I screw and glue plywood "plates" at the attachment points of the leg brackets. Use a double plate at one end and the legs will fold flat. These are not built for range use. They are used for prairie dog shooting and portability is important. The one in the background has extended legs to fit me better.

Last edited by DRob; 10-24-2009 at 20:55.
    If your crystal meth dealer has all his teeth, he's a cop!

Plinker

User Info Menu

Not to get off topic, but how do the bowling pins hold up? What are you shooting them with?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast