• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I do a lot of traveling around Indiana, and I every once in awhile I like to go window shopping. Since my TomTom doesn't have gun shops or ranges, I decided to create my own Point-Of-Interest file. I'm posting it here for anyone else who might find it useful.

Gun Shops POI v112

I will update this thread any time I update the POI file. Currently, the database contains over 100 Indiana gun shops and ranges. I included sporting goods stores that carry AK/AR types like Dunham's and Gander Mountain, but excluded a few that are strictly hunting stores, like Dick's. I've also included phone numbers wherever possible.

In some cases, the coordinates I was able to track down were for the mailing address and not the actual physical location. Atterbury FWA is one example where the address is in town, but the range is a mile away. I've manually corrected them where possible, but if you come across one that's off, please let me know and I'll update it.

If your favorite gun shop or range wasn't included, please provide a street address and phone number and I'll add it. Actual addresses only, please. "The corner of 5th and Main, across from the post office in Podunk, IN" will not be added.

I can also provide the file in a small variety of other GPS formats, but as I only have a TomTom, I have no way to test to make sure it will work. If you want it, let me know, but you'll be on your own with it.

The DB is currently at version 112.

Last edited:

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I have a Pioneer D3 head unit with GPS in my truck, and it would be awesome if you could upload your own POI, but they are dumb like that.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks Scutter01. I have a Garmin handheld, but been thinking about a larger unit for the vehicles. I'll be looking at Tom Tom's now.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    How much is a TomTom going to cost me?

You can get the lower end models for under $100 sometimes. The high-end ones push $500 or more. I picked up a TomTom One 3rd Ed. around Christmas last year for $125.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    There are deals all of the time for the Tom Tom One. I've seen them as low as $70 (from Radio Shack in June). They are out there right now for $130 up to $200.

_JD_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who does this, I use Street Atlas on my lap top, I've got gun shops all over the east coast plotted and I'm starting to add IN. shops all ready (positive thinking and all that)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Updated .zip in first post.

-Ver 110 8/17/08
    Added

Scott's Ace Hardware
    Ed's Trading Post
    Darrell's Custom Firearms

Fixed
    Location of Cabelas in Hammond was off by almost 2 miles

mdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Thanks for putting together the POI. I have a tomtom one and am trying to figure out how to put this file on it. Any help would be great.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    can someone email me this?

Everytime I try to download it, it just opens a BLANK page and says "DONE" in the task bar in IE. No I'm not running any pop up blockers, I just cannot download this file.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    can someone email me this?

Everytime I try to download it, it just opens a BLANK page and says "DONE" in the task bar in IE. No I'm not running any pop up blockers, I just cannot download this file.

Same here, can someone email it to me as well? Thanks for the work on the download.

Top Bottom