• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    If you could only own one gun what would it be and why?

I was thinking about this the other day and have not really come up with a good answer myself so I thought I would ask the experts :)

I would lean towards a handgun but it is not the most versatile platform. So let me know what you would choose.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    One of my 1911's. I've carried a 1911 or clone for over 30 years, and I'm proficient with 'em. Mine go bang every time as well.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'd struggle between a reliable handgun. (read any Glock/Sig/HK) and a good pump action shotgun. (Mossy 500, Rem870)

I'm pretty sure the reliable handgun would win as I can have it with me more places.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    This is too hard!

For home protection, hunting (if I had to to eat), and all around SHTF needs, it would be my Colt AR in .223.

For on-going carry off property, it would be the Glock 23 or Glock 19.

Let's make sure it never comes down to us having to make a decision like this for real!

lovemywoods

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Fun hypothetical (I hope) question. If I'm picking one just to have and not think about all the use issues, it is my MAK-90. It is great for defense and I can press it into hunting use.

But really if I thought about all the things I want to do, I'd have to go for a reliable 12 ga. shotgun like a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. It is more effective in home defense than a pistol when loaded with buckshot. Slugs hit hard and give me a good 100+ yard range for hunting/self defense. I can still load the gun with birdshot if I need to to hunt birds/small game to feed my family. Overall, I think shotgun is a jack of all trades, master of none gun. Its going to do a little of everything and if I had one gun I want it to do as many jobs as possible. Plus any place that carries ammo I bet they will carry 12 gauge shells so feeding it easy. They are propably the some of the last guns on most antigunners the ban list so I know I can have it until the very end if things go wrong politically.

I understand about having a handgun to conceal and take with you more places but I think the shotgun does more things so it makes it the better choice. Then I'd go for my Glock 26 if it had to be a handgun.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    If I could only have one, Rem 870 12 gauge. It offers versatility for home defense and putting food on the table.

Had you asked "only one handgun," I would have said a 1911, even though my Glock is more reliable.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    TEOTWAWKI? All-around? Handgun would have to be a stainless 357 revolver. My 4" GP100 would do just fine.

If I could only pick one and CCW is the primary concern, it would remain my 642.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I guess the question is if you can have only one gun, or one thing that would register as a gun. I could see something like a Thompson Contender with many barrels or an AR with many uppers as an option. Would that be cheating?

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I'd struggle between a reliable handgun. (read any Glock/Sig/HK) and a good pump action shotgun. (Mossy 500, Rem870)

I'm pretty sure the reliable handgun would win as I can have it with me more places.

I agree. But my pick would be my Para-Ord. LDA Limited. (Hi-cap. .45, Stainless steel, The magnificent LDA trigger, Goes bang every time) :thumbsup:
    :cheers:

Top Bottom