• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    This may be a dumb question but, do spent casings stick to a magnet?

I know the shotgun range at Atterbury has some kind of magnet on a stick to pick up shotgun shells, so you don't have to contsantly bend over. The shotgun shells might have steel in them though??

I'm talking more like .22lr and handgun brass will these stick to a magnet??

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Any brass or non-ferric metal will not get picked up by a magnet. Steel cased ammo and part of the shotgun hulls are ferric and will cling to a magnet.

There is a thing called the Nut wizard. Nut Wizard: Pick Up Tool That Gathers Nuts, Fruits, Acorns, Sweet Gum Balls

It is weird but it works on 380 and up cases. Not much faster than a broom and dust pan.

For the 22 we just use a dust pan and broom.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    There are several types of brass catchers.

Some attach to the firearm itself. Others are set next to where you are firing from. They can be made out of a delicate garment bag (bras). I made a small one from a kids fishing net. Makes it easier than picking it out of the grass.

Some people lay down a tarp and use pvc pipes to make a frame.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    yes you need a "brass magnet" most large stores carry these:p- BTW did you finish grade school? Only ferrous metals(iron and steel) stick to magnets:rolleyes:

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    come on guys, i was gonna send him to sears hardware for a brass magnet. i once sent my apprentice to sears with a one pound propane cylinder to get it filled. i pick up my brass with my fingers. works every time!

mrmarky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Brazil Indiana
    Spread a tarp down on the ground before you shoot ,,, rack-em off then pick up one side of the tarp and slide-em all to the middle then,,,, like they ALL said,,, use your fingers. Makes life a lil easier

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I usually just bend at the knees, stoop down, then I "pinch" the spent brass using my index finger and opposable thumb. I do this until all of the brass has been retrieved from the ground.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Sears usually has the brass magnets in the same aisle as the board stretchers and the relative bearing grease. :D

Top Bottom