• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Cool video I found off youtube, one of the coolest shots I've seen. :)
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrJwSYr9SMg]YouTube - Now THIS is Gun Control! What a Shot![/ame]

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    That's pretty awesome. Knowing a lot of sharpshooters hold a really tight group at 1000 yards.... I imagine shooting a pistol out of someone's hand is a much easier task.

Either way.... Bravo!

pheenix42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    True...gun control is hitting what you aim at! And, if you watch till the very end of the vid, you'll see the officer putting a plaque on the wall with the pistol's remains on it.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    That's pretty awesome. Knowing a lot of sharpshooters hold a really tight group at 1000 yards.... I imagine shooting a pistol out of someone's hand is a much easier task.

Likely not so. Without wanting to take credit away from F-class and benchrest shooters, this guy was shooting under stress at a randomly moving irregular target, at an unknown distance, in field conditions where there are no range flags indicating wind, and with a cold bore shot. This guy is my hero.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I wouldn't say he was shooting at an "unknown distance". Given his proficiency with a rifle, I suspect his training extends past his ability to shoot well under stress. That means he had most likely ranged the target and made the appropriate calculations before making the shot.

The average police sniper shot is around 77 yards. This sniper would have positioned himself as close as possible to the subject where he felt he had the best cover and ability to observe. This could have been 50 to 100 yards away. He wouldn't have been taking such a shot from 300 yards.

I routinely shoot targets as small as an aspirin at 100 yards as do many target shooters. Heck, I shoot targets the size of a quarter at 300 yards. Here's a 300 yard group fired from a cold barrel, first 3 shots of the day.

300yardAE.jpg

What target shooters don't usually shoot under is the stress of being in a situation like that and *knowing* if you miss you can injure or kill someone you're trying to save. That's what I find amazing out such an incredible shot, the ability through training (and being properly wired at birth) to operate under stress.

He had likely watched the guys movements and learned his behavior. The guy was sitting in the chair and had placed the weapon between his legs several times and slumped over. The sniper waited for permission to fire, then waited for the subject to return his weapon to the "safe" position where he knew he had a shot. He likely had his cross hairs sitting pretty close to that spot waiting for him to do it again. The second he put his hand down, he took the shot.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    If I remember correctly, the distance for this shot was well over 300 yards (it was on some TV show a couple of years ago). By uknown distance I meant distance that was not pre-measured like at a shooting range where he would have only had to dial the dope. He had to measure the distance himself with whatever tools in his disposition. Without knowing the ammo he was using, I would wager to say that he did not have much room for miscalculation at over 300 yards.

That's some excellent shooting on your part, by the way.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I would like to hear more details from the story if someone can dig them up. I would be very surprised if he took that shoot at 300 yards, that's not to say he didn't. If he did, all I can say is F'in WOW. :) From what I saw in the video, it looked like the team was setup on a hill side that was near by the scene though, but you can't really tell from the video.

As for ranging, you have a laser range finder and a Kestrel Weather Station (barometric pressure, wind speed, humidity, altimeter, etc.). That coupled either with charts or a ballistic computer (software you run on a PDA, I use Exbal from Perry Systems) you have your dope instantly. All this equipment is less than $1000 and fits in your drag bag. Using such a system you can sit down with a cold barrel on an unknown range and put a round right where you want it with your first shot.

Here's my baby...

AI_side_1.jpg

Top Bottom