• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I am convinced that the best way to change the political landscape for shooters is to simply get more people shooting. Now, this is not something I came up with first, I got it from Fred and the Appleseed program.

But, I am taking it into my own personal life. The idea is simple, find someone who has never been shooting and has even the smallest spark of interest and offer to take them to the range. Heck, give them the run of the gun closet as it were and let them pick out whatever they fancy.

I have had several interested folks but I was not really "ready" to take complete newbies to the range. That has changed. I have now set aside one day a month (thanks to my wife) to specifically take a new person to the range.

My first shooter is going to be this Saturday (yep, it is the only way to spend my day before NFA day!) and since he has no idea of guns other than playing games on his Playstation I decided to make a webpage to use as an intro:

Invitation to Shoot (includes gun pron)

I think he will go AR and Glock (as much as I can read him as a person).

Anyways, I hope it will go well. My wife's sudden interest in firearms has been very encouraging and today was the second time to the range. (Where, BTW, she shows a propensity to "gut shot" only increasing my fear of her.)

I know this is a full bandwagon that I am joining and not something that is new. But for all of you out there who have not done something like this, remember, anyone who has actually shot a gun and fired is much, much more likely to help us change gun laws for the better or at least avoid the worst of the worst.

Plus, I cannot wait to get a picture of this guy blasting away and give it to his wife who still claims my offer was only accepted due to alcohol and not her husband's interest in actually shooting a "gun"...

So think about actively courting co-workers, friends, whomever. And let them pick from the stack. Even cover ammo costs. Be generous.

I mean, if you do this, then maybe others, say with big NFA guns, might just return the same kind of favor the very next day!

:do2:

Oh, and one last note. If you ask your wife to proof read your invite, she might be smart enough to count up the cost of the firearms listed that she did not know you bought. Then you might have some "splainin" to do... :bat:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I like the idea of this and I do take others to the range but maybe I should start making it a part of my schedule instead of just fitting it in when I can.

Maybe you can post some pictures and an After Action Report :)

DarkLight

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Thorntown
    The idea is simple, find someone who has never been shooting and has even the smallest spark of interest and offer to take them to the range. Heck, give them the run of the gun closet as it were and let them pick out whatever they fancy.

LOL, this is exactly how I got into guns a few years ago. TurnandShoot took me out to the range one day and handed me his AR15 and a clip of ammo. :do2:

I've been buying guns and building up my own collection ever since!

Thank god for good buddies. :cheers:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    The Indiana Gun Club has a program to reduce your membership fees when you get new members to sign, and they do not charge much more for a round of clays or Skeet for a non-member you may want to bring along.
    I try and drag a few guys with me every time we shoot (2x month). If you get a person started, who may only shoot a few times a year, he/she will still have positive things to say about HIS CLUb and HIS FRIENDS when the topic comes up in conversation, and that can only help inform the public that does not know us for who we are.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I got my sisters fiance into guns. They live in Virginia and he has never been around guns. They came to visit Indy and he saw my AR15 and started asking questions. I took him out shooting about a month ago. Now he is looking to get his own gun. He has never been anit-gun, but had never really been around guns.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I took some of my Marines out shooting last Wednesday at a conservation club up in Niles, Mi. All have shot before, but some had never shot for fun (just for work). We shot 4 rds of Trap; all did very well for beginning trap shooters (we had a 24, a few 21s, and a bunch of 16-18s). Trying to bring them into the "guns are great recreation as well" camp.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Then when you get them shooting, you can "lend" them a gun to shoot with, then "buy" a replacement for the gun that was never returned to you ( that is how my brother says it works, I'd never try that with my wife!)

Top Bottom