• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Well I've been gone a while, just flew home to the freedom on Indiana and the good old USA and all I can say is that while Great Briton is a beautiful place to visit, I would not want to live there. I took the family there for a month+ long vacation and stayed in England, Wales and Scotland.

Almost every day there were news reports of murders, virtually every one by knife attack.

As we did not stay in hotels, but rather in rental homes, B&Bs and cottages we were in close contact with residents of the UK. We also visited some friends I have over there and there was one thing that seemed to be a universal complaint . . . people there seem to feel they are living under an oppressive government. One homeowner showed me 4 guns she had. All were illegal. 3 of them were "movie prop" guns and completely inert. Of those 3 inert non-guns, 2 of them were single action style handguns and mere possession of either of those could have landed this woman in prison! The final gun was a beautiful old side by side shotgun. When I say old, it was at least 100 years old and clearly marked not to be used with ball powders, so I presume it required blackpowder cartridges (but that is just my guess). That is a family heirloom and it was not "registered" by the now dead father, so that gun is now and forever illegal in England. Such a sad commentary on the subjects!

Honestly the subjects NEED to have their own tea party and overthrow some of their oppressive laws. One woman was in trouble with he town because she had a garden pond in an 'unauthorized' place in her yard. It was out of the designated area of her allowed garden. Another family had to get permission to change the wall color of the walls INSIDE their home.

Yup, we think our government is intrusive, we have a lot to learn from the subjects who submit to the government of the UK.

There there is a guy who is considered by some to be an embarrassment and by others to be a hero. Guy Fawkes is sort of a legend in York, we saw plaques on walls proclaiming the spot of where he was born as well as taverns named in his honor. He was hanged in Westminster. Near as I can tell, Guy Fawkes was planning his very own revolt against the king of England in much the same way that we had a Boston Tea Party. . . only Mr Fawkes planted some powder kegs under the government offices and intended to blow up the King and his cronies.

There is also a Guy Fawkes Day that is celebrated annually in England. Apparently it does no good! They seem to remember Guy Fawkes as a cooky folk hero, but they seemingly have forgotten the message he was trying to send. Sad really.

They have fireworks on Guy Fawkes day, much like we do on our 4th of July. We are celebrating our freedom and the overthrow of the oppressive monarchy, they are seemingly celebrating their lost freedom and the continuation of an oppressive monarchy!

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Yes welcome back! :welcome: And what a testament to how good we have it, and how we need to be vigilant in fighting for / preserving our rights. Those instances you mentioned are amazing.:ugh: :nono: :patriot:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    :welcome: Welcome back Melensdad
    Yes welcome back! :welcome: And what a testament to how good we have it, and how we need to be vigilant in fighting for / preserving our rights. Those instances you mentioned are amazing.:ugh: :nono: :patriot:
    Thanks. I'm really glad to be home. The trip was fantastic, the people wonderful, the roadway and driving SUCK, and I learned that there is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL that I could live in the UK.

It is astounding how they accept government intrusion that would lead to revolts here in the US. They have cameras all over London monitoring all sorts of activity, the cameras are simply there to watch you.

They seem to accept, almost gladly, the loss of liberty at any turn. They also seem glad to complain about the government but still accept the problems. By the way, gas was roughly $11.50 per gallon, diesel was roughly $13 per gallon (and 50% of their cars are diesel).

At one of my friend's homes she is in trouble with the town government. Apparently she dug a small garden pond (about 6' round pond about 2' deep) but it is not in the 'authorized' area for a garden. So she is not allowed to fill the pond and put plants around it! The government regulated EVERYTHING.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    At one of my friend's homes she is in trouble with the town government. Apparently she dug a small garden pond (about 6' round pond about 2' deep) but it is not in the 'authorized' area for a garden. So she is not allowed to fill the pond and put plants around it! The government regulated EVERYTHING.

Yeah thats pretty Effed up... and I can relate having been installing our own privacy fencing over the last few weekends.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A great lesson that a legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as a King or Dictator. The people of Great Britain have themselves to blame for this predicament. They could have prevented it, and they could do something about it if they wanted. Laws are not permanent. Hopefully we in the United States will not tolerate the same fate. We must stay strong and not be willing to be sheep.

Welcome home, and may freedom ring.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Welcome back, Melensdad. I wondered why we weren't seeing you posting.

You are correct in re: Guy Fawkes Day. That day is November the fifth, immortalized in a not-quite-recent movie: V for Vendetta. I recommend this movie very highly.

A couple of memorable quotes: "Remember, remember the fifth of November, the gunpowder treason and plot; I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people!"

Blessings,
    B

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Welcome back, Melensdad. I wondered why we weren't seeing you posting.

You are correct in re: Guy Fawkes Day. That day is November the fifth, immortalized in a not-quite-recent movie: V for Vendetta. I recommend this movie very highly.

A couple of memorable quotes: "Remember, remember the fifth of November, the gunpowder treason and plot; I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people!"

Blessings,
    B
    :+1: for the Welcome Back (you were missed!!)
    :+1: for the movie

and, if you're interested, the rest of the rhyme goes:
    Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
    The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,

I know of no reason

Why Gunpowder Treason

Should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, t'was his intent

To blow up King and Parli'ment.

Three-score barrels of powder below

To prove old England's overthrow;
    By God's providence he was catch'd
    With a dark lantern and burning match.

Holloa boys, holloa boys, let the bells ring.
    Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!

Top Bottom