N00bs Questions: first time buying a gun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    So i am heading out to look at and most likley puchase a Handgun. and i have a few very noobish questions.
    (*note i do not have my permit yet. Anderson only does it 3 days a week, I am heading in on wednesday.)

1. what kind of taxes am I looking at paying.

2. If I buy it am i walking out with it that day or is there a waiting period?

3. What shops around the north side of indy would you reccomend. I am going to be looking at glock and springfields.

4. are the any other general do's and don't?

Thanks in advance for all the help

-Zip

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    So i am heading out to look at and most likley puchase a Handgun. and i have a few very noobish questions.
    (*note i do not have my permit yet. Anderson only does it 3 days a week, I am heading in on wednesday.)

1. what kind of taxes am I looking at paying.

2. If I buy it am i walking out with it that day or is there a waiting period?

3. What shops around the north side of indy would you reccomend. I am going to be looking at glock and springfields.

4. are the any other general do's and don't?

Thanks in advance for all the help

-Zip

#1. Standard Sales Tax
    #2. Provided you don't fail the NICS check, you're leaving with the gun that day
    #3. Couldn't help you here, but I'm sure someone will ;)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Don't go to Don's. Other than that, there are lots of shops in the Indy area. Two of the four sticky links in this forum should answer question 3 for you.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    DON'T go to Don's.

DO your homework. Even though the first Glock you see will be temping, don't be afraid to walk away and shop around a bit.

DON'T take the word of the salesman as gospel. As with any venture, they will (sometimes) try and sell you what they need to sell that day, not necessarily what you're really wanting. NOT going to Don's will be a big step toward this idea.

DO consider all aspects of the gun, such as odd calibers and availability of parts and accessories. Sticking with the big 3 (Glock, Sig, HK) helps.

DON'T be rushed for time on shopping day.

DO try and shoot the same model before you buy one. For example, if you find that you really like the XD, find someone on this board who will let you shoot their XD to make sure you really do like it. Everyone here will help you out with that.

DO be prepared to spend some $$$ on a weapon. Sure, that S&W Sigma may have a nice price tag and look LIKE a Glock, but walk away and come back when you've saved up the extra $150. You'll thank me.

DO ask yourself "Why do I want to purchase a handgun?" and "What will I be using this handgun for?" The answers will determine what you're looking for.

DON'T go to Don's Guns.

DO factor in the costs of proper training, as well as the purchase of a QUALITY holster and gun belt. (if you intend to carry it)

DON'T go to Don's.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Also note that even though you're going in on Wednesday to apply for your LTCH, it'll be another 6 weeks or so before you actually receive it.

And be sure to get training. :)

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    If possible take the opportunity to go and shoot whatever your considering buying. Just gives you more information on what might suit you.

As for the S&W Sigma, I have a current generation 9mm and it has been a perfectly fine pistol. It has taken every piece of ammo I have fed it and NEVER had a failure in over 1000 rounds. I bought mine new in the box (NIB) for about $300.

I do have several complaints though:
    1. The trigger is very stiff, but not as bad as a revolver after gun wears in (about 200 - 300 rounds)
    2. The sights are fixed (not adjustable)
    3. The accessory rail is S&W specific and lights that fit the rail or other things tend to be extra expensive.
    4. The magazines are expensive for it as well.

Even with those complaints, its a good pistol. The older generations had multiple issues (a patent infringement suit by glock) and a poor redesign to overcome the suit. The current generation has taken care of those problems.

Good luck and congratulations on your impending purchase!

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    when you decide on a few guns that you might be interested in,start watching some of the busier web sites for guns such as guns america, or Gun Broker.com to find the normal price range that they travel in. This should give you a feel for what you could expect to pay. prices will vary widely. You might even decide to buy from one of the sites and there are many.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    zip, this is a tad off topic, but where do you go in Anderson to get your permit. Do you have to go to the police department or the county sheriff's department? A friend of scutters and mine lives in Madison county but not in a city. He has to go to Anderson. I was wondering if maybe that was the same situation for you and if so, where do you go?

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    DON'T go to Don's.

DO your homework. Even though the first Glock you see will be temping, don't be afraid to walk away and shop around a bit.

DON'T take the word of the salesman as gospel. As with any venture, they will (sometimes) try and sell you what they need to sell that day, not necessarily what you're really wanting. NOT going to Don's will be a big step toward this idea.

DO consider all aspects of the gun, such as odd calibers and availability of parts and accessories. Sticking with the big 3 (Glock, Sig, HK) helps.

DON'T be rushed for time on shopping day.

DO try and shoot the same model before you buy one. For example, if you find that you really like the XD, find someone on this board who will let you shoot their XD to make sure you really do like it. Everyone here will help you out with that.

DO be prepared to spend some $$$ on a weapon. Sure, that S&W Sigma may have a nice price tag and look LIKE a Glock, but walk away and come back when you've saved up the extra $150. You'll thank me.

DO ask yourself "Why do I want to purchase a handgun?" and "What will I be using this handgun for?" The answers will determine what you're looking for.

DON'T go to Don's Guns.

DO factor in the costs of proper training, as well as the purchase of a QUALITY holster and gun belt. (if you intend to carry it)

DON'T go to Don's.

:+1:

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines

Consider yourself fortunate. In Highland the police only takes apps 9-11 on most Wednesdays. I'm not sure if they're antigun or if everybody already has theirs here...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    NICS "hold"

When I purchased my last handgun I got put on hold by NICS. I asked "WTF?" I was told that if you were not already in their system they put a hold on you. Then they have a few days to OK or deny you. If the days (I forget if it was 3 or 5) go by with no response, you are clear. But I have purchased guns before, why am I not in the system? I was told they changed it a couple years ago. So Indiana LTCH means nothing? He told me nope, Fed doesn't care. Huh... See you in a few days. Days went by with no response and I went back and picked it up. Has this happened to anyone else? I only posted here because a first time buyer may get the same thing.

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    So far so good, I'll throw my :twocents: in. North Indy I try to stop my Gander Mountain at Castleton when I get down there. Not saying you should spend your money there just look.

Be prepared for all the add on sales. Like a cleaning kit, patches, oil, lube, holster, belt, extra magaznines and the like.

Ammo, I'll go ahead and say it, get a box of each fire them all slowly take notes. Which ammo does your firearm like best. Use what ever you want to plink with, but when it's your life on the line.....

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So far so good, I'll throw my :twocents: in. North Indy I try to stop my Gander Mountain at Castleton when I get down there. Not saying you should spend your money there just look.

Gander Mountain is pricey. I agree about shopping there, but you can find much better deals elsewhere. Plainfield Shooting Supply, Bradis, Wyatts, etc.

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    When I purchased my last handgun I got put on hold by NICS. I asked "WTF?" I was told that if you were not already in their system they put a hold on you. Then they have a few days to OK or deny you. If the days (I forget if it was 3 or 5) go by with no response, you are clear. But I have purchased guns before, why am I not in the system? I was told they changed it a couple years ago. So Indiana LTCH means nothing? He told me nope, Fed doesn't care. Huh... See you in a few days. Days went by with no response and I went back and picked it up. Has this happened to anyone else? I only posted here because a first time buyer may get the same thing.

I haven't had this happen to me. Last year my brother was put on hold. I think it's five days to reject a sale. Anyway he got a call three days later saying he could come in and pick up his rifle any time.

One of the few FFLs in county has an odd thing happen every time one guy goes to by a firearm. He is always flagged by NICS and they transfure him over to an FBI agent. The guy in question was military intelligance and wheither that sets off all the bells and whistles or the fact his name is close to a wanted person he doesn't know. I don't think it has ever caused a hold.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Hey folks, old Don doesn't want to sell any guns, he just wants to make money. He-he-he-he.
    *Donnelly moves his thumb like the hammer of a pistol.*

Maybe I got that backward. ;)

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN

I never had that problem... but my fingerprints were in a few federal databases from when I worked for DHS.

Top Bottom