• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A friend and I were talking and so I decided to post our thoughts. We are tired of the NRA sending out renewal notices and other mail strictly with the intent of asking for money. Why hasn't the NRA or NSSF,Pheasants Forever, INGO etc produced a commercial or infomercial to better our image? The way the media always seems to put a negative spin on guns, and gun owners, wouldn't it be our job to inform the public that we are not the monsters or terrorists or whatever the derrogatory word of the day is? We need to re educate people about the pros of gun ownership, and our impact on society as productive law abiding citizens. We need to change the words used to describe firearms. The phrases "assualt weapon" and "gunman" are really getting old. People need to be informed that most of the popular firearms on the market started out as military issued equipment. And, that this isn't a new trend but one that is very long standing. Anytime more than one person is involved someone is being influenced. WE need to be the ones doing the influencing. We need to start fighting back against the subtle attacks by the media even if it's because of their own gun ignorance.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    +1, Thunderchicken (sorry, your username makes me chuckle a bit).

I appreciate organizations like the NRA and others that lobby up on the Hill. They, however, are focused on laws.

You are right, though. I don't think many groups are actively working on public perception. The 2A walks and rallys coordinated on here raise some awareness, but once again, they are focused on politics. I would LOVE to get some pro-2A and pro-OC folks in the media to start changing the tone a bit. I do my part when I OC, and I talk with friends, family, and acquaintances about why I choose to carry.

My personal preference would be to get to a solid, single message: "Armed citizens do not pose a threat to your safety. They are moms, dads, sons, and daughters, just like you. They have simply chosen NOT to be a victim, and to back that up if necessary."

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    We all need to get the message out at the grassroots, but how can we get the word out more broad scale? It seems that we are always losing ground since we aren't favored in the media. I feel that the media is constantly attcking us and inadvertantly attcking our right to keep and bear arms. Just last night and again this morning I saw a report on Fox59 about Ball State Univ getting semiauotmatic "military type assault weapons" in preperation of any kind of active shooter situation. The way they made it sound was as if they were trying to send a message that their students aren't safe. To me why is that even news worthy?? Even if a group produced a public message commercial of sorts and aired it limited and was able to circulate it here on the net that would be a good step. All the magazines and social groups for hunting/ shooting aim thier info at those of us who already own and support the 2nd Ammendment. I just don't know how to get the truth out to the masses.

Rizzo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    castrol-use-your-dipstick.jpg

Giving your support to GOA over the NRA. NOW thats thinking with your dipstick .... JIMMY!

Gun Owners of America

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm not too sure it makes much difference who I send my checks to. I just want to see a change in the way organizations operate. Maybe switch tactics a little and change the focus. Spend less print telling me why they need my money and make a better effort to create a change. They need to think with their dipstick

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'm not too sure it makes much difference who I send my checks to. I just want to see a change in the way organizations operate. Maybe switch tactics a little and change the focus. Spend less print telling me why they need my money and make a better effort to create a change. They need to think with their dipstick

:+1: I think they need to have a brainstorming session at the Board of Director's level. The amount of money spent sending all those requests for money could buy some pretty good public service advertising time. They could still request donations, but do it in the magazine we all get. That would at least save the print and postage costs.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Now that's what I am talking about. I have written in to mags in the past but have never recieved a response. We have to change the way we approach defending the 2A and our image in the eyes of those who don't know anythin about our sport/ hobby except what they see on TV, movies, the net, or on the cover of a mag at walmart. It is important to continue fighting legislation and I wouldn't want to take anything from that. But as I said before I am sick of hearing reporters throw around words and phrases that are often not accurate. Aren't they supposed to report the truth...at least hypathetically?

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    But as I said before I am sick of hearing reporters throw around words and phrases that are often not accurate. Aren't they supposed to report the truth...at least hypathetically?

The media is selling a product. It has had less and less to do with the truth and more with selling an agenda.
    Food for thought-- With the bias towards 2A being blatantly obvious to us as gun owners, why is it so hard for people to accept the fact that the same anti-freedom bias is coloring the rest of the news we see from the MSM?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Good point, It does seem that they are selling a product. But it's at our expense gun owners and non gun owners. Heck as for them selling a product, for example that goes for all the gay rights, most of our having to be politically correct and accepting of everyone's sensativities. Chaps my @$$

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I agree 100%.:yesway:
    Media exposure is a big key to how guns and gun owners are perceived. The main problem is that the only time guns are in the main stream media is on a negative note. I am sure that most of this is by design also. I am not sure if the major media would allow Pro Gun advertising on their network or not. They have the choice to allow or ban whatever they like. This is why you hardly ever see any of the positive stories about armed citizens defending themselves. The general population seems content to get their truth from the liberal powers that run the major media. Instead of finding out for themselves. Obama proved that by getting elected with his own cable TV channel. A lie repeated over and over has a way of looking like the truth after a while.

Stepping down off soapbox now!!:D

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It would be helpful to have them work on educating the public. How about a spot that describes the background and intent of 2A. A quick 30 second spot combined with quotes from the founding fathers might make some headway in changing the mindset. Now, whether the liberal media would actually run it prime time is a whole different argument.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I am not sure that any main stream media outlet would really air such information, especially if they have a hidden agenda. But I think something needs to change in the way we fight back. Perhaps even a radio commercial. Tim I can kind of visualize how that might look. It actually sounds like something that maybe doable if the right people ever get the peanut butter out of their ears.

Top Bottom