• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I was fishing around on the net looking for an Akins Accelerator stock and ended up finding Bill Akins email address. I thought it was a long shot but I emailed him anyways. To my amazement he wrote me back! For those who don't know who he is, he invented a 10/22 stock that allowed you to bump fire the weapon in a unique but similar way that you would with the "Hellfire" trigger thingy, got an okay from the ATF and got it patented... after he threw all his money and other peoples money into it to get it on the market the ATF changed their minds and said it was a machine gun. Ask your self this, how is a STOCK a machine gun? It was on the market for a short time before he had to stop sales and the ATF aslo made everyone who bought one send in the springs that make it work. That was just the short version of the story. Anyways, sorry to bore you, here's the emails.

Me:
    I have been reading up on your situation with the ATF and still don't
    understand it. Your product is the same as the "Hellfire" or
    "Hellstorms" or what ever the hell they are called. I read how you
    have a surplus of those non-functioning stocks and was interested in buying a few. Are they still available? I'm sure if you sold them you could get some of your money back. Just doing what I can to help. Before I even heard of your product I thought about doing something similar, but you have had the idea for over a decade so you got me beat on coming up with it. I wish there was something I could do to help. If I had the money I would help fund an attorney and go at the Government one more time. That's just bull leaving you high and dry like that. Like I said, if you haven't already tried selling the stocks maybe you should. I would buy them just to have a piece of history. I think others would too. I hope all is well.

Blessings,
    Joe Hofmann

Akins:
    Thanks very much Joe.

You are indeed correct that there is no difference between the hellfire type devices and my AA stocks under congressional law.
    I currently have a lawsuit filed against the ATF and we have a court date set for next year. I do have a surplus of the AA stocks minus the springs which ATF forced us to turn into them. I am hoping we prevail on our case and I will be able to sell these again with the springs included. If we lose our case, I may be modifying the stocks to work without springs and still rapid fire by using isometric tension which the ATF has stated in the past is allowed. But they seem to make things up as the go along and what they said previously was allowed, they may just arbitrarily change their minds and illegally disallow. So selling the stocks without springs or without modifying them to work via isometric tension would be my last resort. So I am not currently selling any stocks minus springs at this time. But I will keep your e mail and notify you if that changes. Thanks very much for your moral support and good wishes.

Bill Akins.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    awesome......just awesome

would'nt that cause early wear and breakage to internals? i mean those things probably were'nt really made for that hard use.

although it is a 22 so you can get a new one for a little over 2 bills anyway.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    awesome......just awesome

would'nt that cause early wear and breakage to internals? i mean those things probably were'nt really made for that hard use.

although it is a 22 so you can get a new one for a little over 2 bills anyway.

No, you could take one that has had thousands of rounds through it with the AA stock and one with a standard stock, put the internals side by side and you would never be able to tell the difference. There's nothing abusive about that stock.There's not a lot to a Ruger 10/22 and not a lot can go wrong with one. As long as you keep feeding it rounds it'll run.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here is to hoping they win. I thought the AA stock was quite ingenius in its function, but the ATF gets all pissy when they think somone has found a way around a law (even though it adhere's to said law). Bottom line: The ATF wants to ban bump firing and would if it was enforceable as that is basically all this stock does is make the gun bump fire itself.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    ATF is becomig worse than IRS. They make up the rules as they go and change them at will, regardless of what the written law says or what they said yesterday.
    Saw a thread awhile back describing how an Iraq vet was arrested and his AR confiscated after someone heard it go full auto due to an mechanical malfunction. He didn't modify it nor did he intend it to do that, it just happened. Intend didn't matter. He was charged and now has to defend against the oppressive government agency with unlimited resources.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Saw a thread awhile back describing how an Iraq vet was arrested and his AR confiscated after someone heard it go full auto due to an mechanical malfunction. He didn't modify it nor did he intend it to do that, it just happened. Intend didn't matter. He was charged and now has to defend against the oppressive government agency with unlimited resources.

He wasn't the first to be charged by the ATF for an illegal machine gun because of a malfunctioning weapon and sadly, he probably won't be the last.

Like I said, they would ban bump firing if they could somehow enforce it.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    There's more to the story. A competitor of Akins bought one of his stocks then sent it to the ATF with a letter explaining why he thought it was illegal. The ATF read the letter, retested the stock and came back with a new decision. We were screwed by some assclown with a vendetta.

Here's an interesting read.

Open Letter from Bill Akins of Akins Accelerator

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    There's more to the story. A competitor of Akins bought one of his stocks then sent it to the ATF with a letter explaining why he thought it was illegal. The ATF read the letter, retested the stock and came back with a new decision. We were screwed by some assclown with a vendetta.

Here's an interesting read.

Open Letter from Bill Akins of Akins Accelerator

Thanks for the link. I had no idea that this is how it all got started.

Top Bottom