• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I have a 1911 45 auto I got in an estate that is a great shooting gun but not very pretty. My uncle made it from several parts and shot compeditively with it for several years. He told me that he put a target barrel in it; addeda an extende Bo-Mar sight which I removed and added a piece to the trigger.

I got ahold of a old double barrel shotgun this spring and bought some liquid bluing to make it look a little better and it came out OK. I am thinking of doing the same with the 45. Being assembled from different parts I doubt it has any collectable value so I would think anything I do to make it look better to me would not hurt.

The slide is a Remmington Rand and the frame is an Essex Arms. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really don't want to have any work done professionally as the end result will not add anything to its value (at least I don't think it would). What is peoples opinion on liquid bluing? Check out the attached photos and give your opinions.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I know nothing about self-rebluing kits but I've had Eric Gutridge at Gutridge Gunsmithing in Griffith, IN reblue an old Detonics Combat Master. The cost was $125. He took a gun that looked like it had been left in the snow for a year, run over by a truck, and then allowed to rust, and he turned it into a gun that I could pass off as brand new. He removed the rust, polished the gun back to its original semi-gloss finish and then reblued it. Everyone who has seen the gun has commented on it being brand new. I'm still amazed at the quality of his work and the reasonable price.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Did he strip it down and put it back together after refinishing or did you have to do it? I never had it done to a gun so have no idea what it costs. Not sure if I want to put $125 into this gun as it will be for my enjoyment and never sold.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Did he strip it down and put it back together after refinishing or did you have to do it? I never had it done to a gun so have no idea what it costs. Not sure if I want to put $125 into this gun as it will be for my enjoyment and never sold.

I gave him a complete gun. He returned a complete gun.

In between he totally disassembled it, stripped it, got rid of the rust and rust pits, even polished the feed ramp. He wanted to polish out some of the casting marks in the frame (at no extra charge) and make it look like a custom gun, but I had to make him swear he would not make it look nicer than a stock gun! The old blued Combat Master pistols were actually pretty rough around the edges, he wanted to refit some of the parts, polish up everything, grind down the mold marks, etc (again for $125). Basically I wouldn't let him do to this gun what he normally does for that same price because I wanted the gun to look original, not custom.

Basically for $125 I got a brand new gun. As I got the gun at a very discounted price, my total cost in the gun is low, but the gun now looks like a $1000 pistol.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    It doesn't look bad in those pictures, I'd leave it alone unless you got money burning a hole in your pocket.

An honest worn 1911 is sexy.

I would ditch the widget on the trigger and pick up a new longer trigger, if that's what you like.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Thanks for the opinion.

It doesn't look bad in those pictures, I'd leave it alone unless you got money burning a hole in your pocket.

An honest worn 1911 is sexy.

I would ditch the widget on the trigger and pick up a new longer trigger, if that's what you like.

The "widget" on the trigger really makes for a better trigger pull. Everyone who has shot or handled the gun thinks it is a great addition. My uncle shot for the Navy at Camp Perry with this gun so I have to assume it is there for a good reason. The extended Bo-Mar sight made it hard to handle and I was always afraid I would bend it so I had it removed but the trigger extension is really a nice addition. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    the trigger shoe will give the trigger pull the feel that it is lighter than it measures. that's why some shooters that have to meet minimum trigger pull weights use them. be advised, that trigger shoes are problematic with almost all holsters. i've tried them on 2600 (bullseye) guns, but never one that would see a holster. ymmv.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Says your in central Indiana, If you want it refinished I can do it with KG gun kote. I can show you a couple I have done already, they look nice if I do say so myself. I would do it for cost of materials, about $40.00 I'm in Avon.
    I don't wanna make money. I just love to paint pistols HAHAHAHA

Let the flames begin

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Let the flames begin

Flames? I think not, unless your painting ghost flames.. then idk..

The worst that could happen is you end up with a **** ton of my guns lined up for painting.. :cool:

as far as self bluing goes, its all in the prep, so little as a finger print from clean hands will screw it up.. most of my parts come out "ok" but I have'ta do many of them over a few times to get it right,, I cant speak for the durability of self bluing.... and I do like the look of a well worn pistol..:draw:

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Flames? I think not, unless your painting ghost flames.. then idk..

The worst that could happen is you end up with a **** ton of my guns lined up for painting.. :cool: :draw:

A ton be require addtional fee

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I sent email but I hope it would be ok if I posted my last couple paint jobs on here as well.. Shameless plug..
    The springer is a stainless that I prepped and painted so far very durable.
    they are two differant blacks springfield is flat black and the Fusion is Satin Black

Jogitu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Self blue kits are cheap and will ruin the looks because it looks cheap. You will also ruin the value of the gun. I would spend the money and send to a pro. You can google gun refinish and the list is endless. If done right you added value to the gun. My :twocents:

Last edited:

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I'm not a fan of cold bluing either. There is nothing wrong with good honest wear on a gun. That's part of it's history. I would think refinishing it would erase all that.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Your pistol is a built up parts gun. The Essex frames were sold for just that purpose. You can happily do whatever you want to it and not worry about hurting the value. I think you will be underwhelemed with the quality of a cold blue finish. I think the Duracote option from Allen is a great offer. i wish I had something to let him coat for me! It's a great, durable finish that will probably last a lifetime with normal carry. Speaking of carry, if you do carry your 1911, be very careful with that trigger shoe. They are great for target guns, spreading out the pressure of your finger, but they can get snagged on a holster when inserting the pistol.

You've got a great pistol, with some family history so enjoy it!

Doug K

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I think you will be underwhelemed with the quality of a cold blue finish. I think the Duracote option from Allen is a great offer.
    Doug K

Thanks but wanted to be clear it would be Gunkote which I think is better than duracoat..

IMHO

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I use this gun only for target shooting, I have different guns for CCW. Thanks for the input on the frame, I didn't know the history on them.

Dick

Your pistol is a built up parts gun. The Essex frames were sold for just that purpose. You can happily do whatever you want to it and not worry about hurting the value. I think you will be underwhelemed with the quality of a cold blue finish. I think the Duracote option from Allen is a great offer. i wish I had something to let him coat for me! It's a great, durable finish that will probably last a lifetime with normal carry. Speaking of carry, if you do carry your 1911, be very careful with that trigger shoe. They are great for target guns, spreading out the pressure of your finger, but they can get snagged on a holster when inserting the pistol.

You've got a great pistol, with some family history so enjoy it!

Doug K

Top Bottom