• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I have a friend who is very broke most all the time and has never been into firearms but he went shooting with me and is now hooked.
    He does not own any guns now but wants to get a sig 556 or a couple high end pistols for carry (after a bit of training). He only has $1200. He is moving to a bad crime area and I was wanting some of your input. He is set on the 556 or the two pistols. What do ou think he should do?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have a friend who is very broke most all the time and has never been into firearms but he went shooting with me and is now hooked.
    He does not own any guns now but wants to get a sig 556 or a couple high end pistols for carry (after a bit of training). He only has $1200. He is moving to a bad crime area and I was wanting some of your input. He is set on the 556 or the two pistols. What do ou think he should do?

With $1200? Buy A pistol and ammo for it, then sock the rest into good training. I've never met him, but I hear very good things about Shay VanVlyman, who is a mod here. Alternatively, contact Obijohn, Rhino, or Coach.

My :twocents:, and I need to take my own advice.

Blessings,
    B

shooter76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't get anything until I'd shot about a half dozen different guns (if I had it to do over). :) It may just be a phase. I think good practice with some people who already have good habits and a few different guns will give him (and you) the opportunity to decide what kind of shooter he's going to be. For example: In my opinion, one of the most practical, and arguably the best defense package around is a Glock. $400.00 plus accessories. Some good practice and he may well be able to defend himself. I carried a glock for 10 yrs and decided that I hate the trigger and the way they feel, so I went to a 1911. I just like the way they feel, so I'll take my chances (aiming and) reloading. No matter what he gets, the best thing he can do is practice. He'll just have to decide what he wants from the gun. After all that, there's the whole issue of good judgement. I've been carrying for 14 yrs, but that still scares me the most.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    After mags and ammo that money is gone quickly. Buy one handgun and get familiar with it for a while. The money isn't going to be going anywhere if he is dead set on spending it on guns.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Buy a glock. There good reliable guns and if it gets stolen you won't miss it.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    tell him to get his hands on as many handguns as he can. Among them should be a handgun that "feels right" in his hands. Pursue that one, or those few. If he buys a Model XYZ on someones recommendation and it should happen to NOT "feel good" in his hands, he'll never shoot it enough to become proficient with it...... in which case he might as well carry a ball bat.

I have a lady coming for some training this Sunday that bought a S&W airweight before any classes, and after classes decided that she'd better shop around some. She went to the Indy 1500, and traded her Smith in on a 4" 1911-style pistol, because she had fired my 1911's in the first class.

All due respect to all current suggestions, but it's like shoes.... if yer gonna wear 'em, ya better try 'em on yer own feet first......

Just my opinion.... ;)

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Go with him to severasl gun shops and/or gun shows to let him handle as many different pistols as possible. For cheap, but good quality, I'd get a SIG 225 from AIMsurplus through Karl's Gun Bunker, then find a used Ruger MKII .22 and then buy a case of Wolf 9mm and a few thousand .22 lr rounds. Then he can practice a lot with both pistols ahd get a good feel for them both. The .22 is a great learning tool and will let him practice more often. If he's got any cash left over, steer him towards a used Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 to keep at home. I often see used 500's for under $200

The best bet is to let him find a gun that he likes and has confidence in. I'm a revolver guy myself, but most new shooters today don't even consider them, having watched too many action movies.

Doug K

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I'll add another thought for your friend. This little gem of wisdom came from the CCW trainer I had in St Louis, John Ross.
    Always own at least two firearms suitable for concealed carry.

We choose to exercise our constitutional right to bear arms - to defend ourselves through, if necessary, lethal use of a firearm.

In the event that one did have to actually discharge that firearm, it will immediately be confiscated and entered into evidence. Pending the outcome of legal proceedings, your handgun may be released to you later but don't count on it happening with any semblance of expedience.

It should be obvious that during the ensuing time frame that your CCW is being held in an evidence locker, an owner of a single CCW is going to be going about their business unarmed.

Now, I don't carry 24/7. A majority of the time? Sure, but not 100% of the time. However, in the days after just having discharged a firearm at/into a BG, this isn't the time I want to be unarmed.

IMHO, in those days one is most at risk for a retaliatory visit from a gangmember / family member or even the original aggressor. You can darn sure bet that is when I am carrying 24/7.

So, my opinion?

Legally carry a firearm and discharge it in legal self defense.
    It is immediately confiscated as evidence.
    Folks near to the BG come looking for you.
    The owner of a single CCW is now unarmed.

Sound like the movies? Maybe a bit. It is still very plausible. So, separating my funds into training/firearms, I would always split the firearm portion of my budget in order to own two reliable handguns suitable to concealed carry.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I definetly agree about owning at least two CCW guns. I told him about the concept and that is why he is wanting 2 pistols. I took him to a local shop and he really likes the beretta 92fs and springfield XD. They fit his hand quite well.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Lots of great advice.

I made the SIG 556 my first rifle purchase. I had owned handguns for years, though.

I love my 556, but it may not have been the perfect first rifle. I've since bought a .22lr to practice with as well.

But, the 556 would not be a good choice over a couple of handguns first. I'd follow the advice from others on this posts.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    tell him to get his hands on as many handguns as he can. Among them should be a handgun that "feels right" in his hands. Pursue that one, or those few. If he buys a Model XYZ on someones recommendation and it should happen to NOT "feel good" in his hands, he'll never shoot it enough to become proficient with it...... in which case he might as well carry a ball bat.

I have a lady coming for some training this Sunday that bought a S&W airweight before any classes, and after classes decided that she'd better shop around some. She went to the Indy 1500, and traded her Smith in on a 4" 1911-style pistol, because she had fired my 1911's in the first class.

All due respect to all current suggestions, but it's like shoes.... if yer gonna wear 'em, ya better try 'em on yer own feet first......

Just my opinion.... ;)
    I was gonna post this same thing because some guy looked me in the eye a couple days ago and said the same thing!
    Oh wait...that was you! :p

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    :+1: for spending a chunk of that on good training. Two guns are nice, but completely worthless if you don't know how to handle them safely and can't shoot them accurately, and that's not even touching on the whole mindset issues. I can appreciate having two guns, but I'd put the order as:
    1. First Pistol
    2. Ammo
    3. Training
    4. Second Pistol

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    As others stated I would take him somewhere that he can actually shoot some different guns not just hold them. I know we have a local shop/range that has several different models that you can use for $10 each. Cheap in the long run when considering a model. Make sure he also thinks about how he wants to carry and what the different sizes will mean. Some people like to be completely concealed and don't wear a sports coat or jacket all the time. Its going to make a big difference. Some people don't care if they have a lump visible. Up to each person, but he has to decide which he is.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    :+1: for spending a chunk of that on good training. Two guns are nice, but completely worthless if you don't know how to handle them safely and can't shoot them accurately, and that's not even touching on the whole mindset issues. I can appreciate having two guns, but I'd put the order as:
    1. First Pistol
    2. Ammo
    3. Training
    4. Second Pistol

Logical.
    I also second going and handling as many as possible in order to see what fits his hand.

Top Bottom