• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im being told i can mail a firearm dirrectlly to a resident of indiana. i dont think i can but figured you folks would know for sure.

im sure this is a repost and sorry for being "that guy" but im horible at finding ic codes

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    it depends on who it is. If you just sold it to someone no. its legal to sell it face to face but i dont think you can ship it dirrectly to a person unless the have an ffl or in some cases a curio and relic license.but others that know better will be along shortly.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Legal to a person in state. Out of state the receiver has to be FFL holder.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service? A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
    [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]
    Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    FYI - you can also ship YOUR gun to YOURSELF in another state. This is done all the time with hunters and competitors.

Last edited:

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    I am a UPS Freight driver and I have delivered a few guns. Sometimes we get pallets of long guns to places like Dicks Sporting Goods, but I have done atleast 1 residential delivery I can remember where the guy told me what was in the box was a revolver and ammunition.

Top Bottom