Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

I'd be fine if the FDA would do their job as it stands. Adding more record keeping won't do ANYTHING if those records are never checked.

Remember the "bad eggs" a few months ago? Those henhouses hadn't been inspected, as per FDA rules, in YEARS. So what if the farmers keep better records? No one is looking until AFTER there is a problem.

Of course, we wouldn't need the FDA at all if producers could be trusted in the first place.

User Info Menu

If people put any thought into the food they bought, we wouldn't need the FDA.

People assume all food is safe because Uncle Sugar is there to protect us.

Safety nets just let us walk the tight rope with less fear. They don't keep us from falling.

Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    I'd be fine if the FDA would do their job as it stands. Adding more record keeping won't do ANYTHING if those records are never checked.

Remember the "bad eggs" a few months ago? Those henhouses hadn't been inspected, as per FDA rules, in YEARS. So what if the farmers keep better records? No one is looking until AFTER there is a problem.

Of course, we wouldn't need the FDA at all if producers could be trusted in the first place.
    Actually, the producers can be trusted. Just look at the evidence. We've already got one of the safest food supplies in the world. Are there hiccups, every now and then? Sure. But, most of the time they're caught fast and dealt with before anyone comes to harm. I'd say that speaks volumes in favour of the current system.

User Info Menu

Is it the producers, or the current regulations? Some shady producers still try to game the system.

As for "putting thought" into the food I buy: until I have a pocket E. coli or Salmonella test kit, I'll need someone with better resources to screen the supply for me.

I want my food to be 'safe' (definitions may vary), but I also want limited .gov involvement. Somewhere those two lines intersect.

User Info Menu

Did the bill pass?

User Info Menu

Yes.
    Yea: 75
    Nay: 25
    No Vote: 2

Both Lugar and Bayh voted Yea. Nays were ALL republicans, from largely farming states.

User Info Menu

It goes back to the house for reconciliation.

All in all, it's a done deal except for some last minute haggling in the House. Should be on the President's desk before the end of the year.

Plinker

User Info Menu

We need him gone and replaced by a free market libertarian

User Info Menu

This law is actually much, much worse than just making food more expensive. Read on.

S 510 is hissing in the grass | Food Freedom

User Info Menu

I cant believe this crap

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.-Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast