**WE** know not to talk to the police...do your children?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    When Police Interrogate Children | The Freeman | Ideas On Liberty

SCOTUS decision upcoming on "custody" status when being questioned by police in a school environment. Long story short: prosecutors argued the 13y/o boy wasn't "in custody" and no reasonable man would have thought that he was either. (What about a reasonable 13y/o?????) Ergo, there were no violations of any of NC's multiple statutes that were disregarded.

I'll be honest: this increasing intrusion of the nanny state into the schools with the simultaneous empowerment of the police state is a large part of my decision to homeschool. I only hope that I can walk that fine line of teaching my children not to talk to LE without making them (LE) out to be the enemy.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    No they don't, but they're not born yet lol. This is something that I plan on teaching them. I have thought about homeschooling too, but I don't know if that's going to happen... It all depends on where society is when it's time for them to get an education. Unfortunately, I don't see it getting much better anytime soon.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I have told my kids they are to clam up and not say a thing to school officials, police, ect... except I want my mother, father or a lawyer present before continuing. Every so often I ask them what they are supposed to do if questioned, they reply right away with the correct answer. Kids have a tendancy to forget... or if pressured, break easily. I have let them know over and over I will back them to the gates of hell and never let someone pressure them. Then I get to give someone all kinds of grief for trying to question my kids without me around. I got to do that once and actually had lots of fun getting in some administrator's face.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I have told my kids they are to clam up and not say a thing to school officials, police, ect... except I want my mother, father or a lawyer present before continuing. Every so often I ask them what they are supposed to do if questioned, they reply right away with the correct answer. Kids have a tendancy to forget... or if pressured, break easily. I have let them know over and over I will back them to the gates of hell and never let someone pressure them. Then I get to give someone all kinds of grief for trying to question my kids without me around. I got to do that once and actually had lots of fun getting in some administrator's face.

I agree.

I have told my kids repeatedly to not talk to police under any circumstances without first calling me or a lawyer first.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    When Police Interrogate Children | The Freeman | Ideas On Liberty

SCOTUS decision upcoming on "custody" status when being questioned by police in a school environment. Long story short: prosecutors argued the 13y/o boy wasn't "in custody" and no reasonable man would have thought that he was either. (What about a reasonable 13y/o?????) Ergo, there were no violations of any of NC's multiple statutes that were disregarded.

I'll be honest: this increasing intrusion of the nanny state into the schools with the simultaneous empowerment of the police state is a large part of my decision to homeschool. I only hope that I can walk that fine line of teaching my children not to talk to LE without making them (LE) out to be the enemy.

I've not made this a priority, but I do recognize the need. I will start teaching this practice. :yesway: And yes, we will do it in a way that doesn't portray the police as the enemy, but emphasizing our role as their advocate and the role we play in protecting them against/from all adults.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've not made this a priority, but I do recognize the need. I will start teaching this practice. :yesway: And yes, we will do it in a way that doesn't portray the police as the enemy, but emphasizing our role as their advocate and the role we play in protecting them against/from all adults.
    "The police are not your friends, but they are not the enemy either"?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Now here's the question, are you guys saying that your kids should universally not talk to police, or only when they may be the subject of an investigation? I hate to have some old lady who was just mugged by a bum and ask a 15 yr kid, who saw everything, tell me "my daddy told me not to talk to police."

I can respect some members apprehensiveness about speaking to law enforcement, but obviously there are times when the idea goes a lil overboard. The best tool, we as police officers have, is the information the public provides. If one can be certain that they are not the subject of interest in an investigation, then why not talk if you have relevant info?

Further, most people can get a fairly good impression of an officer (or anybody) based on their initial contact. From the threads I've read here where people have had issues with LE, there appears to be some clues/warning signs of the type of LEO theyre dealing with. If you pick up on those "clues" then I can't fault one for keeping their mouth shut. However, at the very least, consider/listen to the officers request. If concerned about your own personal well-being, choose your words carefully when responding (if you choose to do so). And if the officer is respectful, extend the courtesy when denying the request.

It's not as black and white as telling someone "never talk to the police." The situation, the questions, and interest in you, should also be considered.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    If one can be certain that they are not the subject of interest in an investigation, then why not talk if you have relevant info?

Further, most people can get a fairly good impression of an officer (or anybody) based on their initial contact.

You're forgetting that children, even teenagers, lack the social experience that allows us to intuit this sort of information. They are still very much learning how to move and interact in society, and how to read people and situations. I'd rather an investigation was held up for a couple of hours while I came to be at my kid's side, than for him/her to blurt out something suspicious-sounding in an attempt to be helpful.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Now here's the question, are you guys saying that your kids should universally not talk to police, or only when they may be the subject of an investigation? I hate to have some old lady who was just mugged by a bum and ask a 15 yr kid, who saw everything, tell me "my daddy told me not to talk to police."

My job as a parent is to protect my children, not assist you in your LE duties. If I am asked to choose between the two, I will ALWAYS choose my children first. Always.

I can respect some members apprehensiveness about speaking to law enforcement, but obviously there are times when the idea goes a lil overboard. The best tool, we as police officers have, is the information the public provides. If one can be certain that they are not the subject of interest in an investigation, then why not talk if you have relevant info?

Overboard? Not when it comes to protecting my children. There is no such thing. I'll ask you to recall the recent thread about the young teenage boy who was interrogated without his parent or lawyer present and coerced into a confession for a crime that didn't even happen. His innocence and trust for the authority of LE was abused. It was targeted specifically because they knew it was a chink in his armor. Even the truth wasn't strong enough for this lad to hold his own against grown adult men acting under the full authority of the law. No, there is no such thing as overboard unless we're talking about the actions of LE.

Further, most people can get a fairly good impression of an officer (or anybody) based on their initial contact. From the threads I've read here where people have had issues with LE, there appears to be some clues/warning signs of the type of LEO theyre dealing with. If you pick up on those "clues" then I can't fault one for keeping their mouth shut. However, at the very least, consider/listen to the officers request. If concerned about your own personal well-being, choose your words carefully when responding (if you choose to do so). And if the officer is respectful, extend the courtesy when denying the request.

Nobody is advocating blatant disrespect. You're introducing factors completely irrelevant to the issue at hand. What if it's not the responding officer that my child has to deal with? So he cooperates with the a good LEO and for his trouble now gets to talk to another one who doesn't care so much about doing what's right. What then?

It's not as black and white as telling someone "never talk to the police." The situation, the questions, and interest in you, should also be considered.

This isn't about not talking to LE. This is about not talking to LE without a parent/guardian or lawyer present to protect the interests of the child. But I can tell you without a doubt, there is NO SITUATION IN THIS WORLD in which I would ever find it acceptable for my children to talk to a LE officer without me or my husband or a lawyer present. NONE. I don't care if it means the anti-christ himself gets to go free.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    This isn't about not talking to LE. This is about not talking to LE without a parent/guardian or lawyer present to protect the interests of the child. But I can tell you without a doubt, there is NO SITUATION IN THIS WORLD in which I would ever find it acceptable for my children to talk to a LE officer without me or my husband or a lawyer present. NONE. I don't care if it means the anti-christ himself gets to go free.
    :yesway:

:thatshot:

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    For anyone who remembers, there was the issue of my daughter Rachael that was suspended from school because she said NO to drugs. The issue at hand was how she spoke with the principal about the incident without my wife or I being present. She knows to NEVER talk to ANYONE in a position of authority without mom or dad being around.

INGunGuy

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    But I can tell you without a doubt, there is NO SITUATION IN THIS WORLD in which I would ever find it acceptable for my children to talk to a LE officer without me or my husband or a lawyer present. NONE. I don't care if it means the anti-christ himself gets to go free.

What about the situation where you or your husband is hurt to the point of death or incapacitation and to get help for you your child is going to have to talk to an LE officer? Is your teaching going to be black and white or are you going to allow a little gray in there?

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville

If my kid saw everything, the police can wait for the information until I or my wife get there to be present. Period. No choice on thier part. If they dont like it, then lawyer will be present as well.

Top Bottom