• Tariffs: A good idea?

• Total voters

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    He's looking more and more like a dem plant. Tariffs are never a good idea. They raise the cost of doing business and are just another tax on the consumer. Not to mention that they are just flat out bad for the economy. Tariffs are in no way a free market solution to anything. Trump's just too stupid to know that.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I think de-regulation of US industry would go a lot farther. The 25% tariff would only impact the items specifically made in one country. Reducing the costs of producing goods locally, across the board, would be more likely to bring production back home.

I'd be afraid China would just outsource to some other 3rd world country to get around the tariff. It would still be to expensive to produce stuff in the US.

This whole "make everything else so expensive that my way appears cheaper" seems bass ackwards to me. Just inflates costs.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I dont know that I have a firm belief one way or the other. I do know that I work in an industry that constantly feels the threat of CHEAP chinese labor and that we could never compete if the chinese found a way to meet the delivery requirements of most US customers. IE if the chinese found a huge warehouse and started stocking it with the most commonly ordered items we sell, it wouldn't be long before my plant, and plants just like it, would start closing their doors. Right now our saving grace is that china isn't running the equipment up near its potential, and the chinese market is sucking up most of what they make in china.

IMO, one of the jobs the govt is suppose to do is protect our interests in the US, and they haven't done that for a while. Some industries just can't compete with the chicoms when it comes to cheap labor, especially when they are able to pour money hand over fist into buying the BEST equipment out there, and then flood the shop floor with cheap labor.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I don't see how it can possibly help? Maybe just cut to the chase and supplement industries here that can't compete on quality or price? Maybe get the unions involved to really save money on cost of goods?

Oh wait, we already do that.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    He's looking more and more like a dem plant. Tariffs are never a good idea. They raise the cost of doing business and are just another tax on the consumer. Not to mention that they are just flat out bad for the economy. Tariffs are in no way a free market solution to anything. Trump's just too stupid to know that.

I got a hard time believeing that Trump's just to stupid. I don't think the guy would be a good president, but to say he's stupid regarding business is.... well..... kinda stupid.

I think he could be an important cabinet member, but I think he lacks the character to have his hand over the big red button. He's done more international business than I have or anyone else on this forum has. I'd have to believe that in his ultimate desire to keep making more money, if he thinks the tariffs are a good idea, then they probably are.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    He's looking more and more like a dem plant.

I did find it rather humorous that O'Reily, Hannity, and Ann Coulter were all on tv this week telling their viewers to drop the birther routine. I wonder if the call went out. The next day Trump said he would run as an independent if he didn't get the R nomination.

chefnick7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Monticello Indiana
    Tariffs are the answer free trade was meant to be equal not one sided. We can never compete with slave wages in some of these countries like china the only way to make the playing field equal is with tariffs. If the prices of goods made in china gos up then maybe it would be cheaper to make some of these products here again and supply Americans with jobs.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am a bit torn. I think from a National Security stand point, we need an industrial base in this country. If we are solely a service based economy, if the SHTF (a real war like WW2) where we have to have a constant stream of military goods and pretty darn quick, what will we do. Outsource production to China? They may be the enemy so that might work very well. We have too much regulation and taxation on industry. If that was fixed, we may be able to compete to some extent.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I am a bit torn. I think from a National Security stand point, we need an industrial base in this country. If we are solely a service based economy, if the SHTF (a real war like WW2) where we have to have a constant stream of military goods and pretty darn quick, what will we do. Outsource production to China? They may be the enemy so that might work very well. We have too much regulation and taxation on industry. If that was fixed, we may be able to compete to some extent.
    Last time I checked all of our military equipment (except for some pistols) were made right here in US factories. They've done quite well in keeping their war machine well honed and close to home. There's no sane reason to start a trade war with one of our largest trading partners.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've always thought that if a country places a tariff on goods imported from the U.S. that we should match their tariff on similar items. I had always heard that Japan used to slap huge tariffs on American cars imported for sale so match the tariff on Japanese cars imported to the U.S. Of course the out for that would be to build factories in each others country. A win for our labor force.:rockwoot:

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Made in the USA is something I've been pondering for a while. I'm usually against government intervention, but sometimes I wonder what effect there would be if the feds required that all companies that sell goods in the US manufacture at least 50% of the value of those goods in this country.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I've always thought that if a country places a tariff on goods imported from the U.S. that we should match their tariff on similar items. I had always heard that Japan used to slap huge tariffs on American cars imported for sale so match the tariff on Japanese cars imported to the U.S. Of course the out for that would be to build factories in each others country. A win for our labor force.:rockwoot:

I agree with your point completely!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Tariffs drive prices up and give consumers less affordable choices.

in some cases I will agree with this, but not in all. A tariff in my industry (aluminum sheet products) would only help keep the chinese out, and shouldn't raise prices at all since most is US made right now.

MattYagPD01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    FW

sometimes.... Take this for a ride and see what you think....

Tariffs in conjunction with less government involvement in business operation, and lower taxes, and elimination of min wage, and implementation of the 'Fair Tax' .... that would be a great way to rebuild a collapsing US economy and bring us back to the TOP.

a more humble M

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Tariffs should be implemented on ALL imported items not just Chinese and implemented at the same rate. What ever it takes stop the trade deficit. It should be raised or lowered in increments of the same percentage we had a trade deficit the previous year. Eliminate all other federal taxes.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    in some cases I will agree with this, but not in all. A tariff in my industry (aluminum sheet products) would only help keep the chinese out, and shouldn't raise prices at all since most is US made right now.

So you want to impose extra taxes on Chinese imports on a product we aren't importing from China?

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Tariffs should be implemented on ALL imported items not just Chinese and implemented at the same rate. What ever it takes stop the trade deficit. It should be raised or lowered in increments of the same percentage we had a trade deficit the previous year. Eliminate all other federal taxes.

Trying to use the tax code to get people to buy certain products (in this case, American made products) is bad juju. Tax everyone or everything evenly, and let people spend their own money how they want.

Top Bottom