• ...and so much more!
  • Is Education a Right?

• Total voters

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Is education a right? Is it a legitimate function of government to provide that right, if you believe so? Should individuals without children be forced, through taxation, to provide an education to children of their neighbors (k-12)?
    Further, if you have children that attended public schools, and agree that it isn't a right, are you a hypocrite?
    I'm on the fence, but I will vote "no," it's not a right... though I believe it is a good thing.
    (this should be interesting)

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Is education a right? Is it a legitimate function of government to provide that right, if you believe so? Should individuals without children be forced, through taxation, to provide an education to children of their neighbors (k-12)?
    Further, if you have children that attended public schools, and agree that it isn't a right, are you a hypocrite?
    I'm on the fence, but I will vote "no," it's not a right... though I believe it is a good thing.
    (this should be interesting)

It is never "a right" if the only way to exercise it is to force others to pay for you to achieve a personal benefit you have not earned from them. But, while being forced, along with other taxpayers to pay for support of schools, I will avail myself of it if I should choose to so. Hypocrisy? To use something that you are forced to support whether you choose to do so or not? Hardly. If it was ended tomorrow, along with the taxes to support it, I would rejoice. My parents paid taxes their whole life to support schools (urban hellholes, actually) that none of their children attended or benefited from.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    With the number of idiots we have now WITH it, it's frightening to imagine what it would be like without it. :D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I believe "education" is a right, though not "public education" and not a "right" provided by the government.

I have the right to give my child the best education possible.

I have a daughter that is not in school yet (just over 1 year old). We will likely pay for her education TWICE. Once as forced taxation, and a second time for the school of our choice.

If public funding for schools (and their associated taxes) went away tomorrow, I would not shed a tear.

As an incremental improvement, I would be ALL FOR removing the Federal government from public education, and returning both funding and control to the local communities (State, or better yet, counties). Local control = local accountability.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I believe "education" is a right, though not "public education" and not a "right" provided by the government.

I have the right to give my child the best education possible.

I have a daughter that is not in school yet (just over 1 year old). We will likely pay for her education TWICE. Once as forced taxation, and a second time for the school of our choice.

If public funding for schools (and their associated taxes) went away tomorrow, I would not shed a tear.

As an incremental improvement, I would be ALL FOR removing the Federal government from public education, and returning both funding and control to the local communities (State, or better yet, counties). Local control = local accountability.

+1 for this.

I'm paying twice...first the taxes, then the tuition to their school.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have no Children, but yet I have to pay to send Your Children to through this pathetic joke of an Education System...

Sounds like extortion to me...

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Education is a right just like anything else is a right. That doesn't mean the government should give it to you on other people's dime though. I answered no in the poll, but I guess I was thinking along the lines of the sheeple, you know, getting rights and privileges all mixed up.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    With the number of idiots we have now WITH it, it's frightening to imagine what it would be like without it. :D
    I dunno, I've had the pleasure of sitting through 6th grade orientation with all 4 of my kids. It is a mind numbing experience to hear the school faculty try (in a very condescending way) to dumb down their little presentations. I'm really, honest to God starting to think that public schools infiltrate kids minds with so much trash, that they are dumber for having been forced to attend classes. I know I felt a lot more dumb after leaving those orientation programs.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    On another note, a co-worker was contemplating putting his 15 year old in public schools after home schooling the boy. I advised him to attend a few school board meetings first, and see for himself how things are done in public schools. He went to three meetings, and kept his kid out of the public school. My kids are just about done with public school now, but knowing what I know now, I would have NEVER sent them there to begin with. Public schools are a disservice to Americans, period.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Isn't education a constitutional right in Indiana?

Section 1. Knowledge and learning, general diffused throughout a community, being essential to the preservation of a free government; it should be the duty of the General Assembly to encourage, by all suitable means, moral, intellectual scientific, and agricultural improvement; and provide, by law, for a general and uniform system of Common Schools, wherein tuition shall without charge, and equally open to all.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky

Section 1. Knowledge and learning, general diffused throughout a community, being essential to the preservation of a free government; it should be the duty of the General Assembly to encourage, by all suitable means, moral, intellectual scientific, and agricultural improvement; and provide, by law, for a general and uniform system of Common Schools, wherein tuition shall without charge, and equally open to all.
    I read that to mean "made available", not send your kids or ELSE. and that tuition part is a real knee slapper too.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I just wish the schools were operated like private businesses who fight to attract customers. If schools had to compete for students, you would see more innovation in the classrooms. Schools would be forced to adapt or die.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010

Article 8 of the Indiana Constitution goes on to establish funding and a State Superintendent of Public Instruction. It's a local issue managed by the State. The Federal Government gets involved (erroneously IMO) because of interstate commerce and the theory that people should be entitled to the same level of education, etc. as they travel and trade between the states.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I have no kids and don't see that changing in at least the near future. That said, I don't think it is right that I am just as responsible as the parents to financially support their kids education. I should be no more responsible for their kids education than they should be for training my dog.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    the whole public school system is corrupt and wasteful. It needs to be turned totally upside down, shaken then destroyed and rebuilt.

rebuilt or abolished?

On a side note, it is a proven fact that the less educated are typically more inclined to commit crimes. How is this solved, charity?

sipowicz30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    North Central Indiana
    Education is a need not necessarily a right. I was a product of public education and really started to learn after leaving public schools. I have met children from a proper home school program that were leap and bounds ahead of kids in their age group who attended public school. It seems that public schools have strayed from reading writing and arithmetic and settled into revisionist history and ideological curriculum.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    rebuilt or abolished?

On a side note, it is a proven fact that the less educated are typically more inclined to commit crimes. How is this solved, charity?

Public Education in its current form should be Abolished...

As far as paying for it, My grandparents were taught at home by their Parents and were very well prepared for life in the Real World...

Why should I have to pay for Your Children's Education?!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Downtown Fort Wayne
    Very interesting, I would have to suppose it would be a wash or a loss in the end. What I mean is that any money saved by not supporting public education would otherwise be spent for law enforcement, welfare, and other public funds. So abolish all of that, right? Well, there is a word for that....

Top Bottom