• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Could you explain that once again, but only in simple English for us non-techno people out here in INGO land? All that I understood was that someone told the feds to shove it and actually got away with it for now.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Mozilla is the producer of a web browser similar to Internet Explorer. The actual software that lets you browse internet sites. That particular software of theirs is called "firefox". It's a pretty neat browser and without starting browser wars, probably the second fastest one out there behind Chrome (another browser made by Google.) Because it's a good browser it's used by a lot of people.

ICE is the immigration and customs enforcement group of Homeland security. Apparnently there was an add-on (additional piece of software that interfaces and works with firefox, written by a private individual) that would allow users to access web sites that were taken down illegally. ICE didn't like that and told Mozilla to block the add-in and they don't them no way.

Just for giggles I went to the main site of ICE Homeland security. Look at the image right on the front. ( ICE Overview )

agents-overview.jpg

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    in short the firefox addon prevents DHS or ICE from highjacking a domain and rerouting your internet serivce.

For Example. You type in "www.ingunowners.com" into your address bar. and since DHS has seized this domain name, just like they would seize a car, you are now sent to the DHS version of ingo instead of the "real" ingo.

What you have to relieze is that when someone launches a website they are given an address, just like your home, expect it is not words, i.e. www.ingunowneres.com, it is numbers, i.e. 192.168.0.1. so their are giant servers called DNS servers that tie the words to the numbers and that is how you get to ingo. what happens is DHS takes the name and points it to different numbers, in this case the government. but if you type in the numbers you would still go to the correct place.

this addon remembers the numbers for you so you don't have too. and DHS and ICE don't like it.

I know it was long and somewhat confusing but I hope this helps.

*Edit: Fixing grammar errors some days english are a second language."

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    example (how to get to INGO)

Before DHS seizure
    option 1: Type "www.ingunowers.com" into address bar (Press enter)
    option 2: Type "72.208.185.79" into address bar. (press enter)
    option 3: type INGO in google search engine.

After DHS seizure
    Only Option: Type "72.208.185.79" into address bar. (press enter)

hope this helps clarify my last post.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    in short the firefox addon prevents DHS or ICE from highjacking a domain and rerouting your internet serivce.

For Example. You type in "www.ingunowners.com" into your address bar. and since DHS has seized this domain name, just like they would seize a car, you are now sent to the DHS version of ingo instead of the "real" ingo.

What you have to relieze is that when someone launches a website they are given an address, just like your home, expect it is not words, i.e. www.ingunowneres.com, it is numbers, i.e. 192.168.0.1. so their are giant servers called DNS servers that tie the words to the numbers and that is how you get to ingo. what happens is DHS takes the name and points it to different numbers, in this case the government. but if you type in the numbers you would still go to the correct place.

this addon remembers the numbers for you so you don't have too. and DHS and ICE don't like it.

I know it was long and somewhat confusing but I hope this helps.

*Edit: Fixing grammar errors some days english are a second language."

To further illustrate the point:

Once ICE/Homeland Security takes these measures you could just end up with something like this.

This domain name has been seized by ICE - Homeland Security Investigations

screenshot20110527at124.png

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Thank you. All of your simplications helped me to understand more. Now---am I looking at the real INGO? Does ICE and DHS routinely watch our site? I was probably on various lists before I joined INGO, but I am just curious to know if anyone has ever seen any indications that we are being monitorred. Maybe I should take back all of those nasty things that I have been saying about O'Bummer (since he is Irish now) and the rest of the creeps and sleaseballs in Washington DC.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    example (how to get to INGO)

Before DHS seizure
    option 1: Type "www.ingunowers.com" into address bar (Press enter)
    option 2: Type "72.208.185.79" into address bar. (press enter)
    option 3: type INGO in google search engine.

After DHS seizure
    Only Option: Type "72.208.185.79" into address bar. (press enter)

hope this helps clarify my last post.

Keep in mind, this breaks down when you hosting multiple sites per IP address. IE if ingo and ar15 happened to both be hosted on the same server at IP 72.208.185.79 (very very very common for a single server to host multiple sites), you will get an error page as the webserver doen't know which one to serve up (atleast with apache, it looks at the GET request)

A local fix would be to add "72.208.185.79 www.ingunowners.com" to your local /etc/hosts (or C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file you windows users), thus still having the correct GET request, but bypassing a DNS block

Last edited:

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Keep in mind, this breaks down when you hosting multiple sites per IP address. IE if ingo and ar15 happened to both be hosted on the same server at IP 72.208.185.79 (very very very common for a single server to host multiple sites), you will get an error page as the webserver doen't know which one to serve up (atleast with apache, it looks at the GET request)

A local fix would be to add "72.208.185.79 www.ingunowners.com" to your local /etc/hosts (or c:/windows/system32/hosts file you windows users), thus still having the correct GET request, but bypassing a DNS block

not to nitpick but it's C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

:D

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    I am absolutely appalled. There is an apparent lack of Cultural Diversity in that photo :D Some One Contact White House . Gov, Fishy Tales Division :popcorn:
    Good point! Looks like white males and the Gay, Lesbian, & Transgendered (isn't that redundant?) are the only groups represented there. Isn't it SUPPOSED to look like the cover photo of just about every college brochure ever published.

After a 2-second Google search...

USA%20College%20Catalog.JPG

And again...

100316_2010_College_Catalog_Cover-3_FINAL_large.jpg

Somebody Photoshop some battle-rattle on these guys, QUICK!!

ccc_overviewMain.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom