Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

User Info Menu

Its not that hard to break your password. Its easy to recover data that has been "purged." I have a friend who used to do it for a living. Advice: Don't keep your sensitive information on a computer people. Keep it on paper next to the shredder, if you have to keep it at all.
    Never stop burning tin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJock View Post
    Its not that hard to break your password. Its easy to recover data that has been "purged." I have a friend who used to do it for a living. Advice: Don't keep your sensitive information on a computer people. Keep it on paper next to the shredder, if you have to keep it at all.

Passwords are only easy to break when they don't look something like this:

m625sOKUl2l:.,(25)=hi6VBip[{*$#}]

You basically have two options available to break a password: brute force, which would take more years than you or your friend will be alive to break something like that, or using what you know about me and figuring it out because I used something stupid like "bada$$drummerdude".
    A sharp knife is a happy knife.

User Info Menu

The ease of recovering "purged" data depends on your definition of purge. A simple delete and format is not unrecoverable. Forensic data recovery is a time and money intensive operation. It's not as simple as the common misconception would have you believe. Specifically 0/1/random overwrites render data almost entirely impossible to recover. The issue with such data destruction methods is that they are time intensive, and the time required increases with the size of the storage medium. The data remanence is almost entirely expunged by the variance of the frequency of the overwrite signal. The frequency variance from low to high penetrates even the inaccessible parts of the disk and will make the recovery of any meaningful data impossible. Even the most advanced techniques available are incapable of recovering data off of a multi-pass random rewrite of a hard disk at the sector level. But again, if that still makes you uncomfortable, you can always degauss or physically destroy the disk.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    A man once told me to always keep a .45 on your desk. If you hear the police breaking the door down, put a couple of shots through the hard drive. The geeks are pretty good at breaking into your software, but a disc drive shattered with a bullet never talks again.

i may go with a crowbar or baseball bat instead of a gun if police are knocking on my door. no need getting kansas law dogs panties in a bunch with gunshots ringing from inside.

Master

User Info Menu

Pure speculation here, but couldn't you keep a sufficiently powerful magnet in your house and just throw it on your hard drive if/when the police/mafia/your parents come in to break down the door?

User Info Menu

Indeed you could. Hence my reference to a degausser.

Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SmileDocHill View Post
    Well, that kind of stuff on my computer would definately keep me from ever being elected to a political office to say the least.
    LOL, perhaps. I may have a freebie in that one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbombelli View Post
    I use Truecrypt with a 25 digit password. You want what's in that container? Go get it. I don't remember the password. Sorry. It was really long, and I never wrote it down, because only idiots write down their passwords. Besides, according to CSI you probably have a guy in your lab that can get into it in 5 minutes.
    So.... you admit that the drive was encrypted with a 25 digit password?

Seems to me it would be better if you just SHUT UP.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wwwildthing View Post
    So.... you admit that the drive was encrypted with a 25 digit password?

Seems to me it would be better if you just SHUT UP.
    Believe me.. if you spent the time it would take to crack it, even KNOWING it was 25 characters, it would still take you decades if not centuries.

Then, when you finally got in there, if any of us were still alive by that time, the payoff would not be what you were expecting.

Finally, who says it's not actually 21, or 24, or 35. Maybe I just picked 25 out of thin air. Give me SOME credit.

A sharp knife is a happy knife.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast