• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It's not enough that the law enforcement establishment has decimated the 4th Amendment, now they want to go after the 5th Amendment. Par for the course, really. Make things so you have to incriminate yourself, all for their benefit and your loss. Here's hoping a judge has the sense to actually uphold their oath and the Constitutional rights of the person in this case. Not sure I have much faith in that, given the history of the establishment.

DOJ: We can force you to decrypt that laptop | Privacy Inc. - CNET News

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It's not enough that the law enforcement establishment has decimated the 4th Amendment, now they want to go after the 5th Amendment. Par for the course, really. Make things so you have to incriminate yourself, all for their benefit and your loss. Here's hoping a judge has the sense to actually uphold their oath and the Constitutional rights of the person in this case. Not sure I have much faith in that, given the history of the establishment.

DOJ: We can force you to decrypt that laptop | Privacy Inc. - CNET News
    What a load of BS. Next they'll be asking you to lend them a gun to shoot you with.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Am I missing something here. If they have a warrant to search your house they can force you to open it and search it (or they can open it themselves to get access). If they have a warrant to search your computer how is it different that they force you to "open" it as well? I'm not trying to stir the pot but I don't see the difference.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    If they want the data that bad just pay a geek to decrypt the laptop. That in my opinion is OK. But saying that you have to give them all of your passwords is not ok. 5th amendment what 5th amendment, I know not what you speak of. Now admit guilt or be burnt at the steak in the town square.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If they want the data that bad just pay a geek to decrypt the laptop. That in my opinion is OK. But saying that you have to give them all of your passwords is not ok. 5th amendment what 5th amendment, I know not what you speak of. Now admit guilt or be burnt at the steak in the town square.
    My thought exactly--just beat me to it! We are under absolutely NO obligation to help the government prove a case against us, whether we are guilty or innocent of the accusations made against us. It is the PROSECUTOR's job to make the case. Therefore, once the laptop has been legally obtained, it can be decrypted...but not by violating the accused's 5th amendment rights. If Colorado is so interested in the contents of that computer, they are at liberty to hire someone with the necessary skills to obtain it. Interesting how this seems to be more of an example of "forgiveness vs. permission" in that they would rather prosecute after violating the 5th, trying to set this as case law precedent and hoping it won't be overturned by a higher court rather than erring on the side of constitutional rights for a citizen.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I use Truecrypt with a 25 digit password. You want what's in that container? Go get it. I don't remember the password. Sorry. It was really long, and I never wrote it down, because only idiots write down their passwords. Besides, according to CSI you probably have a guy in your lab that can get into it in 5 minutes.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    "I don't know what happened. I typed in the code, but it won't let me in. Stupid Microsoft! Maybe I should reboot. Sorry, I sooo wanted to give you the files."

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    If they want the data that bad just pay a geek to decrypt the laptop.

Problem is with most of the modern day free and/or commercial encryption software if you give it a nice long password it is not physically possible using the computering power we have to decrypt the data. The possible # of combinations would take all the computers in the world working together several hundred lifetimes over. :D So the "geek route" is useful.

I use Truecrypt with a 25 digit password. You want what's in that container? Go get it. I don't remember the password. Sorry. It was really long, and I never wrote it down, because only idiots write down their passwords. Besides, according to CSI you probably have a guy in your lab that can get into it in 5 minutes.

Or better yet use the "container within container" that TrueCypt has. You can have one container with your REAL data and put that inside a second container with data. So when the tech sees that the drive is encrypt and they do force you to give us the password they get the password for the "data container" and never realize that the REAL container with data is still in the hard drive INSIDE the 1st container! MMMUUUUAAAHHHHHH :rockwoot:

Or be even more evil and encrypt your data inside .BMP image files.
    With HIDE IN PICTURE and looking at the BMP file no one will ever know that it holds data! :yesway:

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    Respect.jpg

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    I was sure that a case like this has already been ruled on. It was ruled that you did not have to give them your password.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I was sure that a case like this has already been ruled on. It was ruled that you did not have to give them your password.

I think that was your password on a cellphone if I recall correctly. They caught a drug dealer and the police wanted to get to his contact list on his phone but could not because it was locked. It went to court I think and it was determined that he did not have to give up the password. But this last part I don't remember.

sdman11890

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Highland
    It's insane the levels of encryption you can get for free today, and I really don't see how they can legally force you to unlock it. You say you forgot, and there's no way for them to prove you didn't. "Sorry sir, it's way too long for me to remember. I had it saved on my cell phone but I dropped it in a lake and had to get a new one. I was planning on reformatting this week."

Problem solved.

Top Bottom