• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Ann Coulter debates the editor in chief of Reason Magazine, Matt Welch, on the John Stossel show. Here we have a lively debate about Homeland Insecurity.

Coulter comes out and blatantly states that the Patriot Act is "great." She says that the United States should choose countries to invade based on how good their natural resources are. She wants to harass brown people more heavily in airports, while the privileged Aryan race walks around unmolested. She gets hot and bothered thinking about government torturing suspects.

This is truly the embodiment of neo-conservatism.

I liked this comment below from the YouTube page. It is so true. People are trapped in the media-inspired mindtrap known as the the Left-Right Paradigm. Instead of thinking in terms of state control versus liberty, people worry about matching their chosen side's purposely skewed view of the world. Ann Coulter's job is to get on TV and make sure people don't stray far from the Liberal-Conservative claptrap. Anything liberals say or do is always bad, and good little conservatives will go against it in concerted goosestep. And vice versa.

Coulter is obsessed with liberals, she's totally trapped inside that paradigm that many liberals are trapped in, they support anything their party does, and oppose anything the other party believes, even if it contradicts what they've said previously.

Coulter is a political hack, it took her less than a minute to mention "the liberals", she's just playing a game that isn't even based in reality, she's not a serious commentator.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91reRTMuXew[/ame]

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I heard her say that airport security should do more to check out the types of people who've been committing terrorism than to treat everyone the same. Then she and the libertarian discussed how the TSA's model didn't work in Europe and how they've gone back to private security. BTW, El Al airlines profiles all passengers and hasn't had an incident in its history.

Ann Coulter has some knee jerk responses to liberal/progressives and their issues, but in general, she's more thoughtful and presents a better argument for her point of view than her opposition (this includes you, Rambone), even if she tends to be more flamboyant and combatitive than most conservative apologists. Once again, I think you're employing hyperbole to emphasize your point of view, but, as you often seem to do, you've put words in a person's mouth.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    She says that the United States should choose countries to invade based on how good their natural resources are.

She did not. She said that Iraq was optimal for the Bush's Blockbusting Strategy.

She wants to harass brown people more heavily in airports,

She wants profiling. Those that look or have Muslim names get extra scrutiny at airports as it is Muslims (a tiny minority) that are committing acts of terror.

She gets hot and bothered thinking about government torturing suspects.

Yeah, we could have gotten a little rougher than putting a caterpillar in a terrorist's cell.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Wow, usually Coulter's voice is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard for me, but she was actually somewhat agreeable there. I certainly didn't agree with everything she said, but she did do a much better job of defending her position than the other guy and John Stossel. As much as I like Stossel, he kind of sucks at debating lol.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    God Bless Ann Coulter. Is she always right? Probably not. Do I think she says things sometimes just to make the libtards' heads explode. Oh hell yes. She is one of the few people on the right that are willing to meet the left on the field of verbal battle.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Ann.jpg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    If she is referring to Hassan Ghul, it has been claimed that "enhanced interrogation techniques" were not used when he turned over the information that turned out to be vital in locating Osama Bin Laden. Since the official reports that hold the information are currently classified, the issue is not really that clear, so anyone without access to the classified reports making that type of claim is likely just blowing smoke.

Now, most of us know how opposed to torture John McCain is... and he had this to say about Ghul... "it was not torture or cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment of detainees that got us the major leads"

When it comes to Ann Coulter, most of us realize she likes to twist things around to make invalid points.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHx0oLrGjKY[/ame]

She is extremely intelligent... she is just extremely misleading to the point of lies when it comes to making a point about something she agrees/disagrees with politically.

Last edited:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I liked this comment below from the YouTube page. It is so true. People are trapped in the media-inspired mindtrap known as the the Left-Right Paradigm. Instead of thinking in terms of state control versus liberty, people worry about matching their chosen side's purposely skewed view of the world. Ann Coulter's job is to get on TV and make sure people don't stray far from the Liberal-Conservative claptrap. Anything liberals say or do is always bad, and good little conservatives will go against it in concerted goosestep. And vice versa.

I agree this is one of the big problems in American politics today. The so-called "right" and the so-called "left" no longer represent the true interests of most Americans. Yet they embed a number of deeply emotional issues into their political position so successfully that we can no longer have a rational, informed debate in the media. People identify emotionally with some of the issues, and they imagine they therefore belong to one side. In fact, their political faction frequently works against their economic interests, their liberty, their well-being, etc.

State control vs. liberty is one of the many other ways of looking at politics. But I think it's so important to show all Americans other possibilities that I am hoping Ron Paul will make it to the final round. I don't agree with him on many issues, but he is a breath of fresh air. He is a man of principle, and probably one of the few who haven't already been bought. Whatever happens in the presidential election, Americans need to know there is something other than this stupid right vs. left, conservatism vs. liberalism fraud.

Incidentally, as an Israeli airline security expert said, if you want to profile right, you don't profile for race or for religion. You profile for criminals or for terrorists. If you profile for race or religion, you get someone of that race or someone of that religion, and that's not who you're supposed to be hunting for. Terrorists have a pattern of behavior which is far deeper and far more significant than superficial traits such as skin color or supposed religious affiliation. Unfortunately, we never figured out that black does not automatically equal criminal, nor does Muslim equal terrorist. That's why a debate over profiling is automatically a debate over racial profiling in the US.

But what do I know. Just another guy typing from his mom's basement.

Da Bing

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I think Ann Coulter hurts the Republican party more than she helps it...

While many neo-conservatives eat up everything she says, and liberals tend to loathe her, independents tend to view the republican party less favorably when people like Coulter and Palin are given media attention.

Independents sway elections more than getting an already committed base to agree...

Sometimes I wonder who the liberal equivalents to Coulter are... are they just not covered as much?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think Ann Coulter hurts the Republican party more than she helps it...

Based upon . . .

While many neo-conservatives eat up everything she says, and liberals tend to loathe her, independents tend to view the republican party less favorably when people like Coulter and Palin are given media attention.

Which poll are you referencing?:dunno:

Why do you think people hate conservative women?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I think he's referencing all those polls designed to convince the Republicans that they should just slit their own throats and be done with it. "Polls" say that Republicans who speak their minds turn off the undecided, but let Democrats make death threats, or false claims that Republicans called them names or want to lynch them, and "polls" say nothing.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Based upon . . .

Which poll are you referencing?:dunno:

Why do you think people hate conservative women?

As far as Sarah Palin, generally every poll I have ever seen....

Here is one I found to link you just now by going to gallop:
    Palin's Nod a Plus With Republicans, Minus With Independents

As far as Ann Coulter, people generally do not poll random pundits... since Ann does not run for actual elections, and just releases political viewpoints, she is not polled. Since her rhetoric leans to the more extreme spectrum, it is a purely subjective speculation, since independents generally favor moderate viewpoints as opposed to any extreme political viewpoint. Independents would also generally be less likely to support someone on the extreme left, and the banter that the general population is exposed to in the mainstream media does have an effect on their view of the political parties.

Everyone "hating" conservative women is yet another political talking point... people with extreme political views are polarizing, and garner both strong support and strong opposition. It has very little if anything to do with their sex... look how many people dislike Hillary Clinton for example... is she a conservative woman, and are people's dislikes based on her sex?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    How can racial profiling possibly fit with the 4th Amendment? Does Ann Coulter not understand the Bill of Rights or does she just not care? Constitutionally, it doesn't freaking matter if she hones her racial profiling down to a science. The fact remains that the government MUST have probable cause to search people. Being brown isn't evidence of anything.

All mass shooters were gun owners. Maybe all gun owners should be searched anytime because of an arbitrary trait shared with mass shooters. That should fit with the ends-justifies-the-means Progressive logic coming out of her mouth.

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    How can racial profiling possibly fit with the 4th Amendment? Does Ann Coulter not understand the Bill of Rights or does she just not care? Constitutionally, it doesn't freaking matter if she hones her racial profiling down to a science. The fact remains that the government MUST have probable cause to search people. Being brown isn't evidence of anything.

All mass shooters were gun owners. Maybe all gun owners should be searched anytime because of an arbitrary trait shared with mass shooters. That should fit with the ends-justifies-the-means Progressive logic coming out of her mouth.

Oh Gosh Rambone... Profiling doesnt have anything to do with search and seizure. You pay more attention to people that have arab names and people that a) have an arabic passport b) have just come from an arabic country c) seem suspicious. As far as the constitutionality of it... it doesnt come into conflict with the BOR or Constitution is they dont line up all the people with arabic names and say "spread your cheeks and cough"... or maybe you werent in government class that day.

As for your statement that all mass shooters were gun owners.... that is a biased, faulty assumption. Dylan and Eric (The Columbine kids) were not the owners of the weapons,which included a hi-point carbine, that were used on that tragic day (some of the weapons were bought via third party, and some were achieved from illegal means) . Possession doesnt not necessarily equate to ownership.

As for her being progressive... I dont see how that works. She is a fiscal conservative, and she is ultimately a social conservative too (you may not agree with her choices and her beliefs, but atleast she doesnt sit on her hands like the dems).

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Oh Gosh Rambone... Profiling doesnt have anything to do with search and seizure. You pay more attention to people that have arab names and people that a) have an arabic passport b) have just come from an arabic country c) seem suspicious.

What did I just say? We in the US can't seem to conceive of profiling for terrorists. For some weird reason, we can conceive only of racial profiling. The Israelis don't do that, because racial profiling is ineffective. They do terrorist profiling. If they did racial profiling, they'd be stuck processing the millions of peaceful Arabs who travel through every year, and they'd miss the one terrorist from a cell in Somalia.

As one airline security expert puts it, if you're about to go on the plane and murder hundreds or thousands of people, killing yourself in the process, you are extremely stressed. There is no way to hide that in front of a skilled interrogator. Now, of course, to get a committed would-be mass murderer to show himself requires a lot more training than groping my junk at the airport, but that's what's required to screen people at the airport. If we do racial profiling, we just return to the same old security theater.

Now, there might be some constitutional problem with profiling. I haven't thought about this, to be honest. My thoughts about actual policy remain at the "don't touch my junk" stage. At least they should tip me.

Da Bing

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    The woman appears undernourished. Perhaps if she sold more books she could afford a good meal?

Top Bottom