• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I don't hate taxes. But we are taxed way to much. Last year they shut down our parking lot lights at school. Kids showed up before daylight and there could have been somebodies kid hurt or killed because the light were turned off to save money. But while these lights were of the teachers got a 6% pay raise. In our school, system, the teachers only work 180 days according to the teachers contract. They average about $60,000 a year plus retirement. Way to much money since now most of the classrooms have a teaching assistant. some classrooms have two assistants. I can't see why these teachers make this kind of money if they need an assistant to help. When I was in school the classes were around 30 kids with one teacher. Now around 20 kids with teachers assistants. I have 6 aunts that are all teachers, even 8 cousins that are teachers. One is a principal and makes $125,000 a year. To do what, I have no idea. we even have some grant writers.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    I don't hate taxes. But we are taxed way to much. Last year they shut down our parking lot lights at school. Kids showed up before daylight and there could have been somebodies kid hurt or killed because the light were turned off to save money. But while these lights were of the teachers got a 6% pay raise. In our school, system, the teachers only work 180 days according to the teachers contract. They average about $60,000 a year plus retirement. Way to much money since now most of the classrooms have a teaching assistant. some classrooms have two assistants. I can't see why these teachers make this kind of money if they need an assistant to help. When I was in school the classes were around 30 kids with one teacher. Now around 20 kids with teachers assistants. I have 6 aunts that are all teachers, even 8 cousins that are teachers. One is a principal and makes $125,000 a year. To do what, I have no idea. we even have some grant writers.

You, sir....are the first person I have ever seen openly state that teachers are OVER paid.

The average salary for a teacher is MUCH MUCH closer to 40k a year.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    You, sir....are the first person I have ever seen openly state that teachers are OVER paid.

Plenty of people say it, for those who are over paid.

Depending on the school district, some are under paid, some are paid appropriately and some are over paid.

When you take into consideration the total compensation package, many teachers are over paid.

I would first address the inflated sports programs and college like football stadiums many of these schools have before tackling the issue of teacher compensation however.

That list would better be named,

"102 things the personal federal income tax does not pay for"

as well as

"about 90 things we shouldn't be paying taxes for and few we should, guess which are which".

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Not just the football stadiums. The new school construction is just ridiculous. Some of them look like they had no budget at all.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I do not care if they make that much money. It just bothers me that even though they could not find enough in the account to pay the light bill, they found enough for a raise.

This is the type of thinking that has put our Country in the financial strain that we are in at the present time.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Last year WE had the 1-2-3% tax take effect. People tell me that it's only 3% now. But people do not do the math. It jumped from 1% to 3%. That is a 300% increase in one year. I went from paying $11,000 in property taxes to paying $33,000 in taxes. That was hard to take. Then I find out that 80+% went to the school system. Almost 3/4 of our kids get free lunches and free books. Not me. I paid over $500 for two kids books alone.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Last year WE had the 1-2-3% tax take effect. People tell me that it's only 3% now. But people do not do the math. It jumped from 1% to 3%. That is a 300% increase in one year. I went from paying $11,000 in property taxes to paying $33,000 in taxes. That was hard to take. Then I find out that 80+% went to the school system. Almost 3/4 of our kids get free lunches and free books. Not me. I paid over $500 for two kids books alone.

There's more to the story. What kind of property is this? What change in the assessed value occurred?

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    So, I have been accused of being cold hearted for not supporting a tax referendum which will increase property tax to help fund our school system.

Anyways, this article was posted for "those people who hate taxes"...

Laughable.

102 Things NOT To Do If You Hate Taxes | Addicting Info

What you should be asking is why the counties/cities are not paying all the forfeited bonds for bail jumpers that were financed by the city/county.

According to Indiana bail law any forfeited bond is supposed to be paid to the school fund for the state then redistributed. The problem is that in cases where the city/county secures the bond they are not paying into the school fund as required by law (there is no exception if the bond is secured by a municipality versus a private agency ie; bailbondsman/insurance company). When the city/county/municipality guarantees the bond they become the surety.

I looked into this awhile back and got the run around despite the fact that there is also another law which requires the city/county to keep track of these numbers. We are talking millions of dollars that are supposed to be going into the state school fund.

IC 35-33-8-7
    Failure to appear; pending civil action or unsatisfied judgment; same transaction or occurrence; forfeiture; order for payment; judgment; transfer of funds
    Sec. 7. (a) If a defendant:
    (1) was admitted to bail under section 3.2(a)(2) of this chapter; and
    (2) has failed to appear before the court as ordered;
    the court shall, except as provided in subsection (b) or section 8(b) of this chapter, declare the bond forfeited not earlier than one hundred twenty (120) days after the defendant's failure to appear and

issue a warrant for the defendant's arrest.
    (b) In a criminal case, if the court having jurisdiction over the criminal case receives written notice of a pending civil action or unsatisfied judgment against the criminal defendant arising out of the same transaction or occurrence forming the basis of the criminal case, funds deposited with the clerk of the court under section 3.2(a)(2) of this chapter may not be declared forfeited by the court, and the court shall order the deposited funds to be held by the clerk. If there is an entry of final judgment in favor of the plaintiff in the civil action, and if the deposit and the bond are subject to forfeiture, the criminal court shall order payment of all or any part of the deposit to the plaintiff in the action, as is necessary to satisfy the judgment. The court shall then order the remainder of the deposit, if any, and the bond forfeited.
    (c) Any proceedings concerning the bond, or its forfeiture, judgment, or execution of judgment, shall be held in the court that admitted the defendant to bail.
    (d) After a bond has been forfeited under subsection (a) or (b), the clerk shall mail notice of forfeiture to the defendant. In addition, unless the court finds that there was justification for the defendant's failure to appear, the court shall immediately enter judgment, without pleadings and without change of judge or change of venue, against the defendant for the amount of the bail bond, and the clerk shall record the judgment.
    (e) If a bond is forfeited and the court has entered a judgment under subsection (d), the clerk shall transfer to the state common school fund:
    (1) any amount remaining on deposit with the court (less the fees retained by the clerk); and
    (2) any amount collected in satisfaction of the judgment.
    (f) The clerk shall return a deposit, less the administrative fee, made under section 3.2(a)(2) of this chapter to the defendant, if the defendant appeared at trial and the other critical stages of the legal proceedings.
    As added by Acts 1982, P.L.204, SEC.17. Amended by P.L.167-1987, SEC.10; P.L.44-1988, SEC.3; P.L.1-1990, SEC.343; P.L.36-1990, SEC.7; P.L.107-1998, SEC.4; P.L.105-2010, SEC.9.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    So, I have been accused of being cold hearted for not supporting a tax referendum which will increase property tax to help fund our school system.

Anyways, this article was posted for "those people who hate taxes"...

Laughable.

102 Things NOT To Do If You Hate Taxes | Addicting Info

Apparently this tool has never heard of bonds, tariffs, fines, or any other means by which the government makes money.

Do not use public recreational facilities such as basketball and tennis courts.
    Do not seek shelter facilities or food in soup kitchens when you are homeless and hungry.
    Do not apply for educational or job training assistance when you lose your job.
    Do not apply for food stamps when you can’t feed your children.

Don't mind if I do. I support myself, thanks though.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It's commercial property. My rentals also went from 1% to 2%. Which is double.

My second house I rented out previously (had to kick out due to non payment, took months). I just decided it wasn't worth it to rent and risk another dead beat, or worse, and have to suffer the tax penalty. The extra 1% is huge and tips the risk/benefit into the risk category.

I don't do rentals for a living, my other house I've been trying to sell for 2.5 years I'm f'ed over with again thanks to taxes and foreclosures. I'm still going to be taxed as if I'm a business... then someone will wonder why people are tempted (and do) walk away from their homes.

Between taxes and banks destroying the value of neighborhoods with firesale foreclosures, is it any wonder why more people don't walk away?

With the escrow for taxes, my mortgage on that other house DOUBLED because of the increase in taxes. So much for the American dream :rolleyes:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    About half that list would still exist--and be dramatically cheaper!--if the government were not involved. "Licensed doctors" would still be doctors even if they didn't have to pay a licensing tax to the state.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Lots of teachers ARE overpaid, and it doesn't matter if they make 100k or 10K.

The way you know you're over paid is if there are people with your qualifications who will do your job for less money. You're underpaid if there's no one who will do your job for the money you make.

Most private school teachers make less than most public school teachers, so there you go.

The teaching profession artificially restricts competition by forcing otherwise qualified people to go through useless education certification programs. If a school ran like a business you'd pay less for labor and get better results.

So yeah, they're mostly overpaid.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    The teaching profession artificially restricts competition by forcing otherwise qualified people to go through useless education certification programs. If a school ran like a business you'd pay less for labor and get better results.

How are they qualified to teach? Could it be that they go through useless education certification programs?

Being a business has nothing to do with better results. Why don't we let the airline industry run the schools? How about the automotive industry? Banking? How many business fail each year?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Being a business has nothing to do with better results.

False. Lack of profit motive (most "free" religious private schools are only so for those who tithe...a profit by any other name) serves to distort decision making at every level.

Until recently, the taxpayer's pockets (yes, a generalization to which there are exceptions) were a bottomless pit that many districts were all to happy to mine time and time again. Doubt it? Go look at the football stadiums at some of the local high schools...very educational.

Have you ever seen one like you see at Carmel, Ben Davis, etc. at a private high school? Brebuf Jesuit is one of the private schools in the Indy area that costs more per student than the public schools, yet they don't have a massive sports complex...why? They actually have to EARN their money...it doesn't flow in, confiscated at gunpoint, as property taxes do.

Top Bottom