• Right to work

• Total voters

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Who thinks right to work is a good thing for Indiana considering in is predominantly republican?

Please answer if you vote

If for it why?

If against why?

Last edited:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Without right to work legislation you can bet your sweet ass that jobs will continue to go to states that do have right to work legislation.

This is the second factory I've worked for that built new plants in right to work states simply to get out from under the union.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Who thinks right to work is a good thing for Indiana considering in is predominantly republican?

Please answer if you vote

If for it why?

If against why?

I have lived in states that force union membership upon you. I will never live in one again. I refuse to let the thieving unions have a dime of my money.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    While I don't like the idea painting all unions with a broad brush and calling them all bad. I have to say that I like the idea of the union membership having the legal ability to not be mandated to have to pay dues if they don't support what the money is going towards. Overall I think this will be a good thing.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Right to work is targeting unions only. Taking power out of the workers hands and back into the owners hands. In fact out of the 10 highest poverty states in the us 7 of those are RTW states. The RTW states also have 50% high infant mortality rate than states without the lEgiation.

Toyota has stated RTW will never be a factor in their plant location. Along with hundreds of other top organizations.

"the money stealing unions" as they have been called have done more for us than one might think. Who sets the wages? Unions do generally speaking they are higher paid because there is power in numbers. If you fail to see the direct corolation between union pay and non union then here it is. The only way to keep non union workers is to pay an "acceptably" cut rate.

Right to work will not affect non union unless they option to join a union to benifit from what others worked for without having any responsibility. I am union and to hit my highest pay rate as a journeymen I have requirements I have to meet. They are 10000 hours of on the job training an associates degree in applied science and 3 years of class room instruction.

I understand why people don't want to be in the union no big deal. My choice is to be union and part of that choice is paying dues to better my tradeand my self. A small price to pay for a degree and having the opportunity to work with people every day will to teach me.To join a union say you are part of it to say you are as trained as a person going through a program such as my self and others is a lie.

I go to the doctor because they are highly skilled and highly educated in their line of work. This legislation is aimed at removing the funds used to pay for my pension my school and protecing my career.

I will touch base here again with a few more tidbits this evening when I am off of work.

Last edited:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    It's more than just paying dues.

It's about how government bids contracts, and how companies are allowed to hire workers, and what product they're allowed to make.

JCAJR30

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Union County
    I vote for a right to work state.

My experience working for union shops has been mixed - some are great - some are a total waste - I've seen situations where, IMHO, the employee deserved - and needed - representation - and other situations where the employee was grossly neglegent but was represented by the union for the sake of showing a united front.

I'm not a business owner but I sympathize with the business' desire to maintain a particular profit margin - so that they can invest in capital and grow as a business. If that means reducing staff size - then there shouldn't be a governing force restricting the business' ability to downsize.

Another thing is promotion by seniority - I would want to reward the best qualified person with a promotion...that's never made sense to me.

Then there's the wage scale - every employee in job class "X" gets paid "Y" - no matter if they have decades of experience or whether they are rookies. There's no incentive to increase your capabilities or out perform your peers.

So - maybe the union just has too many irons in the fire - and should limit their influence to ... IDK ... basic employee rights...whatever that means.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Unions generally promote doing only what is required. Nothing more.

What's wrong with that? You have companies like GM who cant float someobe to another department if the line slows. You have someone sitting around reading, and not working, driving up production costs while productivity declines.

This is just one example. I think lazy/slow people should be let go. Unions prevent that.

I'm of the persuasion that I am responsible for negotiating for my pay and benefits...

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Factory unions are NOT the same thing as skilled trade unions.

I just want to make that clear. Everything about a factory union is terribly corrupt and inefficient and needs to go away.

Skilled trade unions are fine. I have no problem with them. What I do have a problem with, is the government bidding contracts at a minimum labor rate, that just so happens to be the prevailing union wage for skilled labor.

If you want to be paid more because you have more skill, then let your work show that. Forcing the government to make you relavent does nothing but drive up cost.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Right to work is targeting unions only. Taking power out of the workers hands and back into the owners hands. In fact out of the 10 highest poverty states in the us 7 of those are RTW states. The RTW states also have 50% high infant mortality rate than states without the lEgiation.

So what were they like before RTW? Are you saying that Mississippi was a hotbed of prosperity before RTW? Has it improved or declined with RTW? I suspect some subtle intentional misrepresentation going on. I would like to empower workers, but don't believe that giving a thug the right to pick everyone's pocket is the way to do it.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    So what were they like before RTW? Are you saying that Mississippi was a hotbed of prosperity before RTW? Has it improved or declined with RTW? I suspect some subtle intentional misrepresentation going on.

It also does not take into account the local areas where factories moved. Huntsville Alabama is a great example of this. Yeah, the interior of Alabama is broke dick poor, but the industrial areas, and coastal areas are night and day different.

Top Bottom