• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    It is disturbing and I don't like it. I can see a use for SWAT teams but I think the problem is how they are used, afterall they have to justify their existence. However, acquiring gear like armored vehicles is excessive.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    And for that epic confrontation—if it ever occurs—officers can now summon a new $256,643 armored truck, complete with a rotating turret.

Yeah, but all the cool kids have them.

Those chickens in Fargo better behave themselves.

Bad chickens, bad chickens, what ya gonna do, what ya gonna do when they drive a tank for you.

TMU317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Indy
    "Every city squad car is equipped today with a military-style assault rifle, and officers can don Kevlar helmets able to withstand incoming fire from battlefield-grade ammunition."

Yea, I can't imagine why an officer would ever need such gear...actually, I can. Here are a few incidents which immediately come to mind, because they occurred here in Indy.

Officer Down: To the Sound of Guns - Training - LawOfficer.com

Of all the articles that can be found detailing the above incident, this one is probably the most accurate.

Deputy Jason Baker

Suspect with assault rifle opens fire, injures officer - 13 WTHR

While these incidents have all taken place in Indy, there are numerous examples of such attacks on police officers all across the country.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Bad chickens, bad chickens, what ya gonna do, what ya gonna do when they drive a tank for you.
    Plus they are coool to have in parades and stuff.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    "Every city squad car is equipped today with a military-style assault rifle, and officers can don Kevlar helmets able to withstand incoming fire from battlefield-grade ammunition."

Yea, I can't imagine why an officer would ever need such gear...actually, I can. Here are a few incidents which immediately come to mind, because they occurred here in Indy.

s=11342861&clienttype=printable]Suspect with assault rifle opens fire, injures officer - 13 WTHR[/url]

While these incidents have all taken place in Indy, there are numerous examples of such attacks on police officers all across the country.

Humor_funny_journalists_guide_to_firearms_ak47_glock.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    The thing i found most disturbing about this article, was that when the war in Afghan/Iraq first started it was years before our troops had the proper body armer etc to defend themselves. I remember stuff being printed daily about how not every soldier had body armer or various other things that should be issued to each person in our army .... But police officers have no problem getting these things? Article on the body armer...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,101061,00.html

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Ya know, I really don't fear criminals, I honestly don't, I am prepared for attacks on my person and home. What scares the living **** out of me is the police/government stacking the deck on a daily basis to where non police/government have absolutely NO chance against them, even if they know the are wrong. Makes me want to move as far away from society as possible, dissappear from the face of the Earth. And cops wonder why there is an "us against them" sentiment among the non leos.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

I'll have you know my chickens can be pretty badass from time to time...

Seriously though, while that article makes some good points, they also get a bit into hyperbole. For example, I have no problem with officers ANYWHERE having a patrol rifle and in fact I think it should be encouraged. Even in rural areas, you can have some pretty bad stuff go down.

When I lived up in the frozen north, there was a team home invasion kidnapping hostage situation in Fargo. It was partially resolved by a deputy shooting a jackass who was using a little girl as a human shield in the face when he slipped on the ice and exposed himself.

There was also a latin gang presence, the members of one of which executed an elderly lady point blank with a 12 ga. for having the temerity to drive by the car they were breaking into.

Then there was the decapitation by hatchet of a guy who got mistaken for the wrong drug dealer. Also, there was serial rapist/murderer Joseph Duncan's time there when he was out of prison on good behavior.

Tanks on the other hand...

Best,

Joe

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Cops Killed in Line of Duty Up in 2011; Guns Blamed on average thirty thousand people are killed by guns in this country every year. according to this article 62 of them were cops. someone remind me again how dangerous police work is:dunno:

Of the last 4 cops shot locally, 3 are all still alive because of ballistic armor which that article criticizes them for having. The other was non-fatally hit in an extremity. 2 IMPD guys have been shot in the last year, one of them dead; both solely for making a traffic stop.

I know you got a raw deal getting arrested for OWI when you were really guilty of PI; but do you really have to color all law enforcement through the lens of the one guy that screwed you over?

Joe

TMU317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Indy
    Cops Killed in Line of Duty Up in 2011; Guns Blamed on average thirty thousand people are killed by guns in this country every year. according to this article 62 of them were cops. someone remind me again how dangerous police work is:dunno:

Because it's only dangerous if someone dies as the result of a gunshot. But yea, I guess you could ignore the number of officers who are assaulted every year and the number of officers killed in automobile accidents and claim it isn't "dangerous ".

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Of the last 4 cops shot locally, 3 are all still alive because of ballistic armor which that article criticizes them for having. The other was non-fatally hit in an extremity. 2 IMPD guys have been shot in the last year, one of them dead; both solely for making a traffic stop.

I know you got a raw deal getting arrested for OWI when you were really guilty of PI; but do you really have to color all law enforcement through the lens of the one guy that screwed you over?

Joe
    the numbers speak for themselves. is it that hard to understand that more non cops get killed by guns than cops?

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Sorry dude, I was being a weisenheimer. I wasn't doubting the number, just making a joke about a gun killing someone. Guns are incapable of action, as I know you're aware.

Tough crowd here tonight.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    From serpico's link

CNN reports that according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, 166 cops have been killed so far this year, compared to 146 in all of 2010.

From Badge of Life, a national police suicide prevention agency

During the year 2010, reports the Badge of Life Police Suicide Prevention Group, there were 145 police suicides in the United States

A policeman is just as likely to take his/her own life as be killed in the line of duty.

Top Bottom