Indianapolis man dies from injuries suffered during arrest.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    On December 24, 2011 Michael Calvert Jr. of Indianapolis, IN was arrested for assaulting a police officer. Police first told his mother he got into an argument with someone and when an arrest was attempted, he resisted. Eye witnesses stated 8 police offcers spent nearly two hours trying to subdue him. During this time he was maced and tazed. Michael is 5'8'' and 160lbs. He is not a huge guy. The mugshot of when Michael arrived at the station shows severe bruising on both sides of his face. A large scrape on his forehead and a broken nose. The first news report delivered on Monday Dec 26, 2011 states no mention as to why he was arrested only saying that he violently attacked police officers.

While in jail Michael refused medical attention and resisted more. Michael has a mental illness of Schizophrenia and goes into a panic when suppressed or confined. He has had previous incidents with police so he is known in his area by the police patrolling. It is on his police record of his illness. Instead of transporting Michael to a hospital, they took him to the county lock up. He was beaten so badly that when transported to the hospital on Dec 26, 2011, he arrived unresponsive. He was considered brain dead and his mother had to decide to pull the plug on his respirator and machines. This means that Michael died IN POLICE CUSTODY from injuries they inflicted. The news reports make Michael out to be a violent person who attacked someone, this is not true. Michael never carried a weapon, he would never hurt anyone. He routinely checks on and helps homeless people, he has always been good with kids and always helping other people.

A lot of people are saying "well he attacked police"

Does that give them the right to injure someone so severely they arrive at the hospital brain dead?

Shouldn't he have been transported to a hospital once finding out he had a mental condition?

Why is there no author or references to the news report?

Report on when he was sent to hospital:
    Jail: Violent inmate sent to hospital

Report after he died in police custody:
    Inmate dies in hospital after attack

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    1. attacked and resisted police
    2. attacked jail employees
    3. assaulted healthcare provider

He was obviously violent and out of control. I'm not happy he died but I am happy that the LEO's, jail employees or healthcare workers lived.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    4. attacked a woman with a knife.

Keep in mind, the police didn't just drive by and think he looked like a guy who needed his ass kicked. They were called there for a guy attacking a girl with a knife. You also left out a few charges, criminal recklessness, intimidation, resisting and battery on LE, not to mention the ones added later for assaulting a healthcare provider and the jail employees. I'm assuming you've never been in a fight, because if you think that picture of him shows "severe bruising, on both sides of his face" then you're in for a rude awakening the first time you get punched. His face looks mildly irritated at best.

The jail has a hospital, he was in it...when he attacked the lady trying to care for his not broken nose, not black eyes, and minor forehead irritation.

I went to high school with one of the nicest guys in the world that wasn't crazy. At some point he decided to buy and AK, go rob a bank, and shoot it out with the police. I still can't wrap my head around it, but it happened.

Last edited:

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    Under no circumstances should have been beaten so bad. Proper restraints should have neen given, and that should have been the end of it. Sick of reading stories like this.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    And if this guy had succeeded in killing a LEO before being properly restrained, would you STILL think he was the victim? If he had simply complied with a "yes, sir" attitude, he'd be alive and well, today. The police deal with thousands of such cases every year. It is regrettable that a handful of nut-jobs get so out of hand that they essentially commit suicide by cop, but to try and hang that on the officers is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. ;)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    On December 24, 2011 Michael Calvert Jr. of Indianapolis, IN was arrested for assaulting a police officer. Police first told his mother he got into an argument with someone and when an arrest was attempted, he resisted. Eye witnesses stated 8 police offcers spent nearly two hours trying to subdue him. During this time he was maced and tazed. Michael is 5'8'' and 160lbs. He is not a huge guy. The mugshot of when Michael arrived at the station shows severe bruising on both sides of his face. A large scrape on his forehead and a broken nose. The first news report delivered on Monday Dec 26, 2011 states no mention as to why he was arrested only saying that he violently attacked police officers.

While in jail Michael refused medical attention and resisted more. Michael has a mental illness of Schizophrenia and goes into a panic when suppressed or confined. He has had previous incidents with police so he is known in his area by the police patrolling. It is on his police record of his illness. Instead of transporting Michael to a hospital, they took him to the county lock up. He was beaten so badly that when transported to the hospital on Dec 26, 2011, he arrived unresponsive. He was considered brain dead and his mother had to decide to pull the plug on his respirator and machines. This means that Michael died IN POLICE CUSTODY from injuries they inflicted. The news reports make Michael out to be a violent person who attacked someone, this is not true. Michael never carried a weapon, he would never hurt anyone. He routinely checks on and helps homeless people, he has always been good with kids and always helping other people.

A lot of people are saying "well he attacked police"

Does that give them the right to injure someone so severely they arrive at the hospital brain dead?

Shouldn't he have been transported to a hospital once finding out he had a mental condition?

Why is there no author or references to the news report?

Report on when he was sent to hospital:
    Jail: Violent inmate sent to hospital

Report after he died in police custody:
    Inmate dies in hospital after attack
    Looking at the many reports typed up surrounding this incident, he was violent with EVRYONE that came in contact with. VERY violent. He starts off going up to kids holding a knife, then swings it at their mom, then fights another guy. Violently fights police, CO's, nurses, spitting, kicking punching...even while restrained. Swinging a knife=deadly force had any of the citizens there been carrying. He never let up it appears the entire time he was in custody, even to the people who were only trying to help him. He placed himself in the situation that ended his life.

Last edited:

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    It's bad 8 trained police officers can't subdue 1 out of control person without beating them to death but we weren't there. The guy broke the law assulted police and staff can't really feel sorry for him.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If any of us INGO'ers had been there with our kids what would we have done? Double tap? Wave a knife at my kid and be prepared to be taken out. Sorry if this man had mental troubles, we have no way of seeing that in a 1st encounter with him.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not being there it is hard to form an opinion based on fact. Having been wrongfully accused of something in my early 20's and resisting the efforts of the Leo's to restrain and arrest me I do have first hand knowledge of how that plays out. I lost that fight. I looked a bit worse for wear than that fellow did when I arrived at the jail. The contempt from the leo's continued while I was there with no medical assistance at all. I was found innocent of the charges and had they listened at all none of that would have happened. I did inflict some serious damage after I was kicked and punched by them and the whole thing was senseless in the end. A certain mob mentality takes people to a place of violence when confronted by resistance. If this young man was ill maybe other measures should have been taken. Our police dept. has some very serious issues right now. They are not very organized and I have recent experience with this as well. Best advice I have
    is stay out of trouble if you can. If not, do not resist and work it out through channels.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Looking at the many reports typed up surrounding this incident, he was violent with EVRYONE that came in contact with. VERY violent. He starts off going up to kids holding a knofe, then swings it at their mom, then fights another guy. Violently fights police, CO's, nurses, spitting, kicking punching...even while restrained. Swinging a knife=deadly force had any of the citizens there been carrying. He never let up it appears the entire time he was in custody, even to the people who were only trying to help him. He placed himself in the situation that ended his life.

Oh yeah?!?!?

Well I have a question for you.

What the hell is a knofe? :laugh::ingo:

oldshaky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greensburg
    This is very unfortunate , I feel for his family , but no one can resist with violence & come out the victor . If someone swung a knife at me & I couldnt flee , I would pull my firearm . Well you know what happens next .

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Dont really give a crap about the guy or the story.

The real question here has already been raised....

What the heck IS a knofe?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The outcome is sad, but I will withhold judgement on this. We do not know how he was behaving during the whole ordeal. I think an autopsy will shed some light on things.

If he was as violent as reported, then I would have trouble getting upset about what happened.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Message to the OP,you will get mostly a kill them all let God sort em out response here on INGO so don,t take it personally.

Psssht. No you wont. You are full of it Buford.

He OBVIOUSLY had a demon in him and God wanted him to die.

:patriot:

You know, if I was on life support, and my MOM pulled the plug after 2 DAYS....... I would be ticked.

Thanks mom.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    EDPs are always difficult cases and that is what the cops face everyday.

So, is there video of this? Without video this matter will contain . . . protracted litigation to say the least.

Top Bottom