• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    That article expresses my thoughts almost exactly. I don't hate cops, but I definitely feel less safe every time one is around.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I'm in the same boat as most of y'all. I don't hate cops, but I certainly don't feel safer around them (just the opposite, really!), nor do I bow and scrape to them as it seems most of them think they deserve. I'll respect a man or woman who has earned that respect, but I'll be damned if I will cower and simper just because someone thinks they have the right to DEMAND respect because they have a badge.

I do my best to avoid cops as much as possible these days. I won't argue that there are some (now a minority, IMO) who truly do feel that they are there to 'protect and serve' and not stomp on Joe & Jane Average's rights - but I have yet to meet any of them personally. But that whole "I'm going to disarm you for my safety' thing is ...well, you know what it is. Who's going to protect MY safety, when I am the one who is feeling like my life is in danger due to your actions, buddy? That's what I thought. No one has MY back out there on the road. You have armor and 100 cars just a radio call away to back up what ever boneheaded move you are about to make. Not so the rest of us.

I apologize for this rant to the few men and women who do a good job and who really are there for the people, to protect them and serve their communities.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Armed robbery, awesome sauce.

I never knew I made people feel less safe, awesome sauce again. Perhaps I should just give in and take advantage of the situation. Didn't create it, don't live up to the B.S. but I guess I'd be an idiot to let the opportunity slip by.

Another great find Serpi. Almost starting to believe that you don't like the police.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Armed robbery, awesome sauce.

I never knew I made people feel less safe, awesome sauce again. Perhaps I should just give in and take advantage of the situation. Didn't create it, don't live up to the B.S. but I guess I'd be an idiot to let the opportunity slip by.

Another great find Serpi. Almost starting to believe that you don't like the police.

May I encourage you not to take this too personal. There are some truly excellent police with whom I would be delighted to share space. Unfortunately, there are also some who are worse than most of the inmates I encountered when I worked for the DOC. Even more unfortunately, they don't come with warning labels so unless you know them personally and are close enough to identify them, it can give a person an uneasy feeling. From the non-LEO perspective, it can be very much like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates with consequences worse than a flavor you don't especially like by many orders of magnitude.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    May I encourage you not to take this too personal. There are some truly excellent police with whom I would be delighted to share space. Unfortunately, there are also some who are worse than most of the inmates I encountered when I worked for the DOC. Even more unfortunately, they don't come with warning labels so unless you know them personally and are close enough to identify them, it can give a person an uneasy feeling. From the non-LEO perspective, it can be very much like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates with consequences worse than a flavor you don't especially like by many orders of magnitude.

I appreciate the gesture but the article was not talking about one police officer, it was talking about them all. Apparently I am an armed robber. Like I said, awesome sauce and bravo Serpi.

Sorry for the interruption, please continue.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    I appreciate the gesture but the article was not talking about one police officer, it was talking about them all. Apparently I am an armed robber. Like I said, awesome sauce and bravo Serpi.

Sorry for the interruption, please continue.
    i honestly dont believe the article was talking about every cop. it was talking about the ones who do not live up to thier oath. and it really baffles me how the honest cops would get upset with an article like this when they should be getting upset at the ones among thier ranks who bring shame upon them.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't feel safe around police because they are there to enforce ridiculous laws.

There are ridiculous laws, because the majority of people feel it incumbent upon themselves to tell other people what to do through the force of government.

I don't feel safe around police because my neighbors are busy-body douche-bags.

In the end, we always get what we deserve. Good work citizens.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    i honestly dont believe the article was talking about every cop. it was talking about the ones who do not live up to thier oath. and it really baffles me how the honest cops would get upset with an article like this when they should be getting upset at the ones among thier ranks who bring shame upon them.

"I’m in my mid-40s and – so far – have not been robbed at gunpoint by an ordinary criminal. But I have been robbed at gunpoint literally dozens of times by cops, who have a license to rob me. Cumulatively, the total I’ve had to “stand and deliver” – in the felicitous phrase of the appropriately named highway robber of yore – comes to thousands of dollars, over the past twenty-something years. It’s dressed up, of course – in order to make the cop feel better about himself and what he’s doing (he’s just keeping us safe, etc.) and also to douse the rage of his victim by getting him to accept what’s done to him as something other than it is.

That being, a robbery at gunpoint."

Doesn't sound like he excluded many. Any police officer who has written a traffic ticket is an armed robber.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you are of the opinion that malum prohibitum law is unreasonable, then it makes sense.

If you are of the opinion that telling people how to live is what is best for them, then it doesn't make much sense.

Top Bottom