• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    wow, all kinds of fail. I think i could have learned almost more about the case reading tea leaves. Not saying the cop is right, but they have no facts, they don't even know anything on the victim, or anything else. Id really hold off on guessing anything on this until more facts actually come out. Same as the Zimmerman, everyone jumped on bandwagons before any kind of facts came out.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    wow, all kinds of fail. I think i could have learned almost more about the case reading tea leaves. Not saying the cop is right, but they have no facts, they don't even know anything on the victim, or anything else. Id really hold off on guessing anything on this until more facts actually come out. Same as the Zimmerman, everyone jumped on bandwagons before any kind of facts came out.

True but they were pretty sure he punched the guy and was quoting a supposedly reliable source.

I dont think anyone ia jumping the gun here. Given the facts of the story if he punched the guy shame on him the rest just sounds like bad luck for both if them. Bad luck u smack someone and they crack their head. Bad luck for the douche bag in the phone.

I cant say much ive come pretty close to brawls because of obnoxious loud profane drunks in resteraunts. When ive watched managers flee to the back too afraid to do
    anything

Jake

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Did we read the same story? :dunno: It was caught on video. They have plenty of facts. Cop smacks citizen without provocation/justification. Under what circumstances would it be legally acceptable to confront someone on his ground (walking up to citizen's table), provoke him with words, and then physically assault him?

The fact that the perp is a cop is moot, except that it means he should have really known better.

Your concern for discrepancy on the spelling of the victim's last name seems misplaced.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    If the video shows, as alleged, this guy going over to someone seated and attacking him while he is seated or trying to stand, then fleeing the scene, it seems to be pretty clear cut. I've wanted to punch out obnoxious cell phone users, but know you can't beat someone (and nearly kill them/kill them) for offending delicate sensibilities.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Read the comments on the link. One said the victim "stood in an aggressive manner". I guess in some circles that justifies a beat down.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I've seen INGO'ers regularly call for this kind of justice.

Tell me about it. I've seen one jabloney on here who thinks it is perfectly reasonable to run up to someone that is watching you, knock them down, and proceed to bounce their hear up and down on the sidewalk. Can you believe it?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Tell me about it. I've seen one jabloney on here who thinks it is perfectly reasonable to run up to someone that is watching you, knock them down, and proceed to bounce their hear up and down on the sidewalk. Can you believe it?

Yep, just watching someone.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Not that I'm defending this guy, the story did read, ".....when Vanderlee stood up and cursed, Clifford punched him, thinking he was going to be hit himself."

If this was truly the case, there is some wiggle room for this cop's actions.

However, given his experience and level of training, the argument could also be made that he overreacted, given the circumstances.

In any event, he fled or otherwise left the scene......That in itself, doesn't look well upon the officer's actions.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Not that I'm defending this guy, the story did read, ".....when Vanderlee stood up and cursed, Clifford punched him, thinking he was going to be hit himself."

If this was truly the case, there is some wiggle room for this cop's actions.

However, given his experience and level of training, the argument could also be made that he overreacted, given the circumstances.

In any event, he fled or otherwise left the scene......That in itself, doesn't look well upon the officer's actions.

I have zero patience for inconsiderate people. I spent 10 days in Disney around thousands of inconsiderate people. If you've ever been to the Magic Kingdom, you'll understand exactly where I'm talking about. Once you enter the ticket gates, there's 2 tunnels, one on each side of the train station. These tunnels are about 20' wide each. The park opens at 9 and there are thousands of people trying to get through these 2 tunnels. One broad decides that would be the best place to stop and spray her sunblock on causing even more of a traffic jam.

As much as **** like that infuriates me, I don't think once in my 35 years have I ever verbally confronted someone like that. What good would it do? Put me on that person's level? I could see complaining to the staff and having them address it but who the hell am I to be the considerate police? If this guy saw fit to verbally confront this guy twice and lay him out, he's got anger issues.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If the video shows, as alleged, this guy going over to someone seated and attacking him while he is seated or trying to stand, then fleeing the scene, it seems to be pretty clear cut. I've wanted to punch out obnoxious cell phone users, but know you can't beat someone (and nearly kill them/kill them) for offending delicate sensibilities.

While stipulating most of what you've said here, Counselor, I'd like to take issue with one part of your comment: one punch doesn't count as a beating in my book. Quite possibly it's sad that that one punch resulted, indirectly, in major damage, but it wasn't a "beating".

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    In light of the officers outstanding record of service to the community, I herby sentence the man on the cell phone to pay a $500 fine, have his cell phone privilages revoked, and must appolgize to the officer for making him angry.

It matters not one bit if he had recieved awards for anything for outstanding service. I do not care if he cured cancer. You do not get speacial treatment for service to the community, or being an officer or even an "outstanding officer".
    The law applies equally to all.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    While stipulating most of what you've said here, Counselor, I'd like to take issue with one part of your comment: one punch doesn't count as a beating in my book. Quite possibly it's sad that that one punch resulted, indirectly, in major damage, but it wasn't a "beating".

I disagree.

Would not a woman be considered battered, because she only took one punch from a man? Or how about a Mike Tyson placing one punch with his bare fist?

In any event, one punch resulted in a foreseeable result of the affected person hitting the ground.......which is hardly an indirect result.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed

If you throw a punch, you are responsible for the end result.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    (snip)......If this guy saw fit to verbally confront this guy twice and lay him out, he's got anger issues.

I have no problem with approaching some and asking them to act in a more socially acceptable manner.....If nothing for myself, for the consideration of others that are likely too intimidated by the circumstances.

I wasn't there and I can't categorically state if a threat existed for this cop to throw a punch, but if the threat existed, he may well have been justified.....regardless of what anyone may otherwise believe that he should have minded his own business.

Top Bottom