• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Using RICO against the government is very very interesting. I know it will not stick in a criminal setting but I hope civil. It is funny that they are admitting K9s are being used like that.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Using RICO against the government is very very interesting. I know it will not stick in a criminal setting but I hope civil. It is funny that they are admitting K9s are being used like that.
    i know what you mean. cops telling the truth sent a shiver up my spine. im not sure whether to be proud or nervous.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I still think the best way to truncate the nonsense of the Infallible Dog is to make the cops keep batting averages for Officer Chompy.

Right now the cops are testifying that the dogs are perfect and the range of drugs is expanding. I have a heavy presumptiong against new legislation but feel something must be done by the General Assembly on dog sniffs--they are getting silly.:twocents:

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    I still think the best way to truncate the nonsense of the Infallible Dog is to make the cops keep batting averages for Officer Chompy.

Right now the cops are testifying that the dogs are perfect and the range of drugs is expanding. I have a heavy presumptiong against new legislation but feel something must be done by the General Assembly on dog sniffs--they are getting silly.:twocents:
    That's an impossible task for several reasons. I would still like to hear your proposal though.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    That's an impossible task for several reasons. I would still like to hear your proposal though.
    Why?!

I keep a record of whether My dogs track well or not and what the conditions of the day are, as well as other stresses to attempt to forcast whether or not my dog will be useful at finding what it is asked to locate. Several Cadaver and Explosive K9 handlers I know do this as well. Why should Drug K9s be any different!?

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    Dealing specifically with drugs and vehicles is different because first, smoking weed in a car for example will cause a dog to indicate positively for the presence of drugs, even though there are no longer drugs in the vehicle. Would that be considered a false indication? Second, in the case of trafficking large amounts, there could have been a large amount in the vehicle hours before and the dog will indicate correctly for the presence of drugs. I took 100 pounds out of a cadillac once and dogs would hit on the car for weeks afterward. Third, in trafficking, I have seen hidden compartments that 99% of cops wouldn't find and there were numerous kilos of cocaine inside. So, just because the cop doesn't find it doesn't mean it isn't there. In each of these cases the dog is doing its job correctly. Probable cause to search a vehicle doesn't mean you know for sure there is dope only that it is probable.
    I don't disagree that reform is needed, but you're barking up the wrong tree. A standardized certification through the state is what's need. That way you can certify to a certain degree of proficiency using known, or unknown, amounts and remove the uncertainty of field work.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I think he means that it would be impossible under field conditions, to assess whether or not the dog FAILED to pickup a drug scent.

"Excuse me sir, you aren't being detained now or anything, but if I could have a moment of your time please? I'm doing an assessment on my dog and although he didn't indicate that you had any drugs in your possession, could you tell me in a yes or no answer if there was anything here that my good k9 buddy here SHOULD have detected?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you, move along."

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    With "Chompy" being an available tool for the authorities to use to search seemingly any vehicle they want, what would be the motivation for accountability?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Dealing specifically with drugs and vehicles is different because first, smoking weed in a car for example will cause a dog to indicate positively for the presence of drugs, even though there are no longer drugs in the vehicle. Would that be considered a false indication? Second, in the case of trafficking large amounts, there could have been a large amount in the vehicle hours before and the dog will indicate correctly for the presence of drugs. I took 100 pounds out of a cadillac once and dogs would hit on the car for weeks afterward. Third, in trafficking, I have seen hidden compartments that 99% of cops wouldn't find and there were numerous kilos of cocaine inside. So, just because the cop doesn't find it doesn't mean it isn't there. In each of these cases the dog is doing its job correctly. Probable cause to search a vehicle doesn't mean you know for sure there is dope only that it is probable.
    I don't disagree that reform is needed, but you're barking up the wrong tree. A standardized certification through the state is what's need. That way you can certify to a certain degree of proficiency using known, or unknown, amounts and remove the uncertainty of field work.
    Absolutely no different than me tracking the hits of an Explosive K9...

Except I do not have a Badge... :dunno:

Top Bottom