Did anyone else know that the DHS inspects elevators?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm the treasurer for our church's parochial day school (1-8). As such, I review and sign checks to pay the bills. Tonight I signed a check for $120 to the Department of Homeland Security. I thought that was odd, so looked at the invoice a bit more closely that I usually do. It was for an inspection of the elevator we have in our school building.

I was thinking that most of the elevator inspection permits that I've seen over the years all come from a State level inspector. Anyone have any info as to why the DHS is inspecting elevators?

I checked the Federal DHS web page and after 15 minutes of searching through the different divisions, as well as putting "Elevator, Elevator Inspection, etc." into the search bar, turned up nothing. :dunno:

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Did you look at the federal or state department?

IDHS: Elevators & Amusements

I didn't...guess I immediatly thought Federal. Looks like the State level inspections were rolled under the tate DHS, which appears to be much like the Federal DHS...a catch all.

Thanks!

Mods...Feel free to lock this as you see fit. Not trying to start a battle over DHS and government over-reach...just looking for info and Kirk found it for me.

Walt K.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    DHS?

They're a bunch of friggin brown shirts; nothing more.

We are about one staged "crisis" away from becoming a police state.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    DHS?

They're a bunch of friggin brown shirts; nothing more.

We are about one staged "crisis" away from becoming a police state.

The former State Emergency Management Agency, which encompassed the emergency planning/disaster response & recovery functions, the State Fire Marshal's Office, and the EMS Commission, was redesignated the State Department of Homeland Security. They're still primarily the folks who coordinate the preplanning for disaster response & recovery, coordinate fire code inspections throughout the state, and validate EMS training throughout the state. No brown shirts - or at least not many brown shirts as uniforms. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The former State Emergency Management Agency, which encompassed the emergency planning/disaster response & recovery functions, the State Fire Marshal's Office, and the EMS Commission, was redesignated the State Department of Homeland Security. They're still primarily the folks who coordinate the preplanning for disaster response & recovery, coordinate fire code inspections throughout the state, and validate EMS training throughout the state. No brown shirts - or at least not many brown shirts as uniforms. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Oh come on, Blackhawk. You're spoiling Walt's fun! :D

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Indiana DHS lumps a LOT of the Safety Departments under it...
    Pretty much every department that has anything to do with Safety except for the department of health, their pull was to great to get pulled in.

But the elevators fall under the state fire marshall and the building safety division which is part of IDHS.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010

That's the difference between IDHS and DHS.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I like how they give an inspection to ensure you are complying with their rules, then charge you for the privilege...of course they aren't the only ones...I just pray TSA never gets the idea to charge for their special inspections...it would then be quicker to walk than fly as they worked to generate revenue.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom