• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Good!

I do think the Supreme Court will hear one of these cases once some circuit goes the wrong way (if that ever happens). Perhaps the 5th Circuit is the place to create one of these sorts of test cases.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Seems reasonable enough. Leaving it in the recycle bin indefinitely is as good as permanently deleting it for our purposes.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

While I see this as a 1st Amendment issue I do not believe it falls under "freedom of speech."

Rather I think it falls under "...petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

How can you redress a "grievance" if you cannot document and/or record the grievance as evidence for a judge or jury to observe? We must be able to record a problem if we are going to solve a problems.

+1 to SCOTUS on thisun!

Regards,

Doug

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but since t he 7th Cir. is only IL, IN, and WI, this decision not to review the case only safeguards our right to secretly record the police in IL, IN, and WI, and not the other 47 states of the union, or federal enclaves.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but since t he 7th Cir. is only IL, IN, and WI, this decision not to review the case only safeguards our right to secretly record the police in IL, IN, and WI, and not the other 47 states of the union, or federal enclaves.

I am given to understand that Massachusetts and Illinois are the only two states with laws require consent of all parties which do not have an exception based on reasonable expectation of privacy, hence it is legal in the other 48. The First Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against Massachusetts on this issue.

7 Rules for Recording Police - Reason.com

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI

Almost all states already allow it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It can be used as a precedent for other circuit...but it is only binding for their circuit. The others will have to go through the same process if they want it to be binding for them.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Per the article
    "By passing on the issue, the justices left in place a federal appeals court ruling that found that the state's anti-eavesdropping law violates free-speech rights when used against people who audiotape police officers."

So does this not apply to video/pics of LEO?

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Per the article
    "By passing on the issue, the justices left in place a federal appeals court ruling that found that the state's anti-eavesdropping law violates free-speech rights when used against people who audiotape police officers."

So does this not apply to video/pics of LEO?

I could be mistaken but I think pics and video were always allowed so long as they did not record audio.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I could be mistaken but I think pics and video were always allowed so long as they did not record audio.

That was my understanding as well, that the video recordings were not illegal as such but rather because they included audio which had been prohibited under a law passed for a specific purpose that had absolutely nothing to do with the point at issue. Once again, this proves out the danger of providing the police and courts with a club intended to smack one group for a specialized problem which they can manage to repurpose for use on most everyone other than the intended target group.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

It depends on what basis the 7th Circuit decided it. If it addressed it as a matter of Illinois law, then it would be binding on Illinois only. If as a matter of federal law, it would apply to the states of the circuit.

Outside the circuit, not binding.

There are 47 more states? What happened to the other 10??:(

Don't they just make up their own law as they go along in Cook County?
    I believe that Illinois has home rule that allows counties to enact their own criminal code. Not the case in Indiana.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It depends on what basis the 7th Circuit decided it. If it addressed it as a matter of Illinois law, then it would be binding on Illinois only. If as a matter of federal law, it would apply to the states of the circuit.

Outside the circuit, not binding.

There are 47 more states? What happened to the other 10??:(

I believe that Illinois has home rule that allows counties to enact their own criminal code. Not the case in Indiana.

They must be hidden in the same vault that Big Zero' supporters think holds his stash of giveaway cash.

Top Bottom