• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Meezer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Porter County
    This week lawmakers are discussing ending Sunday prohibition on take-home alcohol sales. Tell lawmakers to support free markets for a change.

Also tell them a lot of hoosiers are crossing the borders & spending their money on booze in neighboring states.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I understand why the law was originally instituted. I mean at that time the stores were all closed on Sunday and Sunday was set aside for church and family time. Today, it really isn't for the vast amount of people. And so people who want to have drinks on Sunday buy on Saturday. So might as well sell liquor on Sunday, it really doesn't stop anyone from drinking anyway. Heck, for those who still have family Sundays it might make them more tolerable!:laugh:

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    I understand why the law was originally instituted. I mean at that time the stores were all closed on Sunday and Sunday was set aside for church and family time. Today, it really isn't for the vast amount of people. And so people who want to have drinks on Sunday buy on Saturday. So might as well sell liquor on Sunday, it really doesn't stop anyone from drinking anyway. Heck, for those who still have family Sundays it might make them more tolerable!:laugh:

The more important thing about this is that someone's religious beliefs have no place in laws; then the fact that this isn't stopping anything and is just a PITA when you forget.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not a drinker myself but I'm in favor of repealing this on the grounds that I think as few things as possible should be illegal and I don't see the point of allowing it 6 days out of the week and not 1 more.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    The more important thing about this is that someone's religious beliefs have no place in laws; then the fact that this isn't stopping anything and is just a PITA when you forget.

Actually, there are only some (probably only a small minority) who don't drink because of religious reasons or their religion forbids it. The law one way or the other won't affect them because they don't drink anyway. At least most people of faith I know, myself included, have no problem with an occasional drink. And you are right it is a pain when you forget--been there and done that.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have been mentioning this to my state Rep on EVERY "legislative survey" that I get from him.

Question for the masses: Presuming this doesn't pass (Again) in IN - could the case be made for an Unconstitutional "Blue Law" lawsuit? Same with not being able to buy a car on a Sunday...

I mean, it's pretty much historical fact that yes, it's a Blue Law, and yes, it was enacted due to some folks' ignorance of Christian theology... Therefore, wasn't / isn't it a religious law and unconstitutional?

-J-

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    This makes me laugh so much, the liquor store owner is against repealing the law because it will cost him more to open his doors on Sunday. Let me think, last I checked there was no law requiring a business to be open 7 days a week, 6 days a week or even 1 day a week for that matter. I fail to see how repealing this law will really change anything other than potentially relieving a huge inconvenience. First Sunday after I left the state I went and bought a bottle of Vodka, smiled and drank it. Wouldn't do that now, older, wiser, liver, but you know it's the little things.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I fail to see how repealing this law will really change anything other than potentially relieving a huge inconvenience.

Repealing the Sunday sales law will impact liquor store owners who see the law as an economic fence giving them a state-mandated day off.

The purpose of 99% of the law is economic fence building or rent seeking done in the law of "the children", "safety", "common sense", inter alia.

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    By the liquor store owners logic, Indiana would be the only state that even HAS liquor stores currently - liquor stores in the other 49 states that allow Sunday sales would all have went out of business by now.

I spend time in Florida every year, and the liquor stores there seem to be doing just fine...

buckhunter21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Southeast Indiana
    It seems like this law is discussed every year and every year it stands. A lot of people want it changed and some seem not to care.....I wouldn't mind seeing it changed, but if not hopefully they will discuss more important issues.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I was arguing with one on how they believed it was good for work patterns and phycologic changes to work efficiency Mondays for drinkers who forget to buy on Sunday, blah blah. Day ends, they shouldn't have the right to make it illegal to sell on Sunday in the first place.

Top Bottom