• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You mean it isn't normal to believe that you are the most important person on the planet?

Shocking.

Most people under the age of 45 are more concerned with not being disrespected than of being a good person.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The impact of social media strikes me as playing a significant role in the problem. The article dealt with the subject very well. What it failed to address is that, as Phylodog indicated, an inflated sense of self-importance is common to the human condition. What is new is being able to create an electronic alternate reality in which you can be whatever you present rather then what you are with legions of 'friends' who don't really know you from Adam and are none the wiser. Prior to this, the checks and balances came from the fact that people interacted with real people who could see the truth for themselves and could issue a serious reality check. For example, I could open a FB or Twitter account and profess to be a 'world traveler' and have hundreds or thousands of 'friends' who would be none the wiser so long as I kept it plausible. People who actually know me know that I am actual a chubby 39 year old truck driver--a far less glamorous truth. Needless to say, I am not going to get away with any fanciful stories with these people.

I would add to the previously posted truth regarding less concern for being a good person that this electronic alternate reality eliminates much of the social pressure that previously formed people's, well, not true conscience, but that outer layer of pseudo-conscience that people can be shamed into following well enough to behave decently even when they might not do so of their own volition.

While the present generation didn't invent the concept, they are the first able to capitalize on it. You may recall from some 25 years ago that if you listen through the following, Peter makes the claim of telling people how his life is one big adventure. The difference is that blowing smoke at a party was the best most people could do then as opposed to being able to spin an entire fictional life via social media today.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0FBi5Rv1ho[/ame]

I would also add that the recent incident with that football player from Notre Dame underscored the extent to which constructing a convincing alternate reality via internet is possible.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    You mean it isn't normal to believe that you are the most important person on the planet?

Shocking.

Most people under the age of 45 are more concerned with not being disrespected than of being a good person.

Do you think it's that high? I was thinking something along the lines of 30-ish and under. 45 puts 'em older than me and I don't see most of my sphere in that age bracket being that selfish.

Top Bottom