• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should Sobriety Checkpoints be commonplace?

• Total voters

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Our local county sheriff dept just posted on their facebook page that they will be conducting a sobriety checkpoint on a certain date.

This immediately turned into a huge discussion on the legality of such an operation.

What's ingo's opinion? Violation of 4th amendment? I know courts have upheld these, but there are plenty of laws on the books that are unconstitutional.

I'm all for keeping the public safe, noone wants to be run over by some guy with a BAC of .25, but should we accept this?

--Edited to include link to facebook page--

http://www.facebook.com/LaPorteCountySheriffsOffice/posts/356105931165046

Last edited:

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Unconstitutional response to an inadequate justice system that lets drunk drivers kill people with little consequence.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So called "sobriety checkpoints" have proven to be abject failures at catching drunk drivers. The only thing they actually do do is generate revenue for other reasons, (tail lights out, minor infractions, etc...). They're a scam.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I believe them to be unconstitution. The Indiana Supreme Court disagrees with me. I can post the cases if you guys want to read them.

I am not allowed to go through checkpoints anymore; I have been banned for sarcastic behavior.:D

"And what infraction am I suspected of cimmitting?" JUST GET HIM OUT OF HERE!

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So called "sobriety checkpoints" have proven to be abject failures at catching drunk drivers. The only thing they actually do do is generate revenue for other reasons, (tail lights out, minor infractions, etc...). They're a scam.
    Yep, and a few of our officers on INGO said they could catch more drunk drivers just by paying attention to how people drive vs checkpoints

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I think they should do what they can to stop drunk drivers. To many people drive drunk...everyone thinks it is no big deal until one of their family members or friends are killed by a drunk driver. There is absolutely no reason to drive drunk. I think they work...went through one once about 1 am and there was about a dozen people in the bus.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I think they should do what they can to stop drunk drivers. To many people drive drunk...everyone thinks it is no big deal until one of their family members or friends are killed by a drunk driver. There is absolutely no reason to drive drunk. I think they work...went through one once about 1 am and there was about a dozen people in the bus.
    But where will it stop? Why not have everyone blow into a breathalyzer ala 40 year old virgin, to be able to startup their vehicle?

Another step towards letting the gov be responsible, and not the individual.

mistap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Art. 1, Sec. 32

People under the influence alsoi commit domestic violence which often results in the death of innocents. Maybe we should start having random home inspections as well... I mean, hey, it's for the children, right.

thegunshow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Valpo
    I'm all for them, my mother was killed by a DD when i was 19. I made the decision to not drink and be a responsible adult. If people want to put that garbage in their body so be it, but I'll spend my money on my family.

MTubbs1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    So what do you INGOers do when you come up on a checkpoint? I have never encountered one.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I don't have a problem with them myself. I'll take the minute inconvenience if it means saving someone's life.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    checkpoint

I was stopped at one once after eating at some place with a ton of garlic and onions. I think the officer paid the price by having to smell my breath.

Jason

Top Bottom