• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Very interesting. Not shocked since the whole war was a scam from the beginning. It is sad that even politicians today are willing to easily sacrifice lives of our brave men and women for their own personal and political gain. If we could only hear some of the back room deals of today.
    What I also find troubling in this article is the fbi's pause to prosecute due to the presidents command. There is supposed to be a separation of the two. But as we have seen even recently with Obamas control of the FBI and justice department there is no separation. The office of the president is above the law now and controls who gets bracelets and who doesn't. It's his own private police force.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, tired of the crap on TV, my wife and I watched a couple episodes of All in the Family from 1972. They stand the test of time, mostly.

Lionel Jefferson was prominent in both episodes we watched, which was interesting with the current (timeless?) issues regarding race.

The reason I'm posting in this thread, though, was because of a reference to the Nixon price and wage controls. I'd totally forgotten about that episode.

When people talk about imperial presidencies, some of the current stuff seems kinda tame.

https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/remembering-nixons-wage-price-controls

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So, tired of the crap on TV, my wife and I watched a couple episodes of All in the Family from 1972. They stand the test of time, mostly.

Lionel Jefferson was prominent in both episodes we watched, which was interesting with the current (timeless?) issues regarding race.

The reason I'm posting in this thread, though, was because of a reference to the Nixon price and wage controls. I'd totally forgotten about that episode.

When people talk about imperial presidencies, some of the current stuff seems kinda tame.

https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/remembering-nixons-wage-price-controls

An excellent example of Mr. Nixon's actions and world view. It's amusing to me that history paints Watergate as Nixon's big crime. That was small and petty compared to what he did in front of everyone.

LBJ was another winner.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    An excellent example of Mr. Nixon's actions and world view. It's amusing to me that history paints Watergate as Nixon's big crime. That was small and petty compared to what he did in front of everyone.

LBJ was another winner.

It is also worth remembering that the putative mechanism for him to exercise the wage/price controls was a delegation (or abdication) of authority from Congress. Technically, he did something that he was legally permitted to do.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It is also worth remembering that the putative mechanism for him to exercise the wage/price controls was a delegation (or abdication) of authority from Congress. Technically, he did something that he was legally permitted to do.

To which I would add the obvious that legally permitted .NE. right, just, ethical, good, etc.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    It may sound a lot like “tu quoque”, but I have believed for many years that LBJ forfeited most of his moral authority when he stole the 1948 Texas Democratic Senatorial Primary runoff election, and he forfeited the rest of it with the Gulf of Tonkin resolution.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm sorry, but mentioning "quoque" and LBJ in the same sentence made me giggle a little. :)

The 60s and 70s were a strange time in America, socially and politically. In many ways, the current social/political realities seem analogous.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It may sound a lot like “tu quoque”, but I have believed for many years that LBJ forfeited most of his moral authority when he stole the 1948 Texas Democratic Senatorial Primary runoff election, and he forfeited the rest of it with the Gulf of Tonkin resolution.

Have to disagree! LBJ could not have forfeited that which he never possessed.

Top Bottom