• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Tonight the town of Hebron is going to create Free Speech Zones with its ban on public protest at funerals. As disgraceful as funeral protesters are, it is a form of public expression that you simply cannot restrict according to the First Amendment.

This is a statement issued by Town Councilman Travis Gearheart on a Facebook event page.
    Landmark Town Of Hebron Ordinance Against Funeral Protests
    On Tuesday, March 19th, the Hebron Town Council will be passing an ordinance restricting the protesting of funerals. Everyone has heard of the problems in different areas where groups have shown up and have disrespected those that have given their lives for their country by gleefully protesting; all the while the family is robbed of their chance to mourn in peace. This will not stand in Hebron. If you are a service man or women or if you believe that people should have the right to grieve for their loved ones in peace, regardless of gender, race, or sexual orientation, you are invited to this landmark passing of our ordinance limiting the protests to no closer than 300 feet an hour before, during, and an hour after a funeral. Thank you.

The meeting is tonight:
    Tuesday, March 19th @ 7:00 PM

Hebron Community Center
    611 N. Main Street
    Hebron, IN 46341

If you don't want Indiana towns to be a national disgrace for violating free speech, let the councilmembers know.

Hebron Town Councilmembers
    Peter Breuckman, pete.breuckman@visithebron.org 996-2728
    Don Ensign, don.ensign@visithebron.org 996-7783
    Travis Gearhart, travis.gearhart@visithebron.org 996-2086
    Joyce Kaczmarski, joyce.kaczmarski@visithebron.org 996-4023
    Dave Peeler, dave.peeler@visithebron.org 996-6010​

thegunshow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Valpo
    I have to agree, these people gave their life deserve to be laid to rest without these idiots. I applaud the town...its not saying that can't protest they just have to be 300 feet away.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think its fair to restrict protesting at funerals. They never restricted it before because society used to be decent enough that you didnt have make that a law.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    I just don't see how anyone has the right to protest at a funeral. Does anyone have the right to protest a family picnic or birthday party without it being considered harassment or assault? Aren't the funeral protesters violating the expression of grief and mourning for the recently deceased?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I think it is a disgrace to veterans to restrict the Bill of Rights in their name. How many people died to protect those freedoms? Shame on you.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I just don't see how anyone has the right to protest at a funeral. Does anyone have the right to protest a family picnic or birthday party without it being considered harassment or assault? Aren't the funeral protesters violating the expression of grief and mourning for the recently deceased?

If the protesters are on public property, yes they have the right to protest any of those gatherings.

If the protesters of the funerals are on public property, they should be allowed to protest the funeral as well. I can't imagine why anyone would want to, but they should be able to.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    If the protesters are on public property, yes they have the right to protest any of those gatherings.

If the protesters of the funerals are on public property, they should be allowed to protest the funeral as well. I can't imagine why anyone would want to, but they should be able to.
    Ok, so one group(the protesters) rights trump the rights of the family expressing grief for their dead loved ones. Not.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Ok, so one group(the protesters) rights trump the rights of the family expressing grief for their dead loved ones. Not.

The first amendment protects your right to speak your mind in public.

The fact that you disagree with the words being spoken does not change this.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Getting offended isn't an infringement on the right of expression.

An infringement is a government policy that sends people to jail for saying the wrong thing or holding a sign.

Desdinova

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2012
    Austin
    I would personally love to see every worthless piece of excrement that ever dared to protest at a military funeral put before a firing squad and I would give anything I have to be on the trigger...

But, regardless of how utterly despicable these birth control failures are by doing so, they are exercising the very rights that I hold dear and spent 4 years of my life in uniform defending.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

Yes, yes and yes.

But... free speech should always be protected, even if it's hurtful, offensive and disrespectful.

Now, if someone ran over to them and laid a bat upside their heads, I would be an understanding juror and vote to acquit. If they were lucky enough to get me on their jury.

That said, let's say a brutal serial raping, torturing murderer was killed, and his funeral date/location was discovered. Let's say, further, that one of his victims was your daughter or wife. His close family and friends are in attendance (yes, even POS's like that have family and friends who care about them), and people show up to protest with signs that said "that's what you get" and "good riddance", etc. Would you have a problem with that? Most people I know would not. But is it really any different?

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    The first amendment protects your right to speak your mind in public.

The fact that you disagree with the words being spoken does not change this.
    The grieving family is trying to speak their minds, expressing grief at a funeral is not protected speech? Is someone allowed to cause extra grief and emotional harm?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The grieving family is trying to speak their minds, expressing grief at a funeral is not protected speech? Is someone allowed to cause extra grief and emotional harm?

No one is stopping them from expressing their grief.

Yes.

I don't see how requiring the protesters to be 300' away is violating the protesters rights.

Then you do not understand the Freedom of Speech.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I think a more reasonable solution would be to allow the temporary insanity plea to be used when one of said protestors are attacked and flogged. The penalty for the alleged attacker is being forced to eat the best steak dinner on the planet.

Top Bottom