• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I was a Boy Scout for about two weeks when I was a youngster; I spent my teens in a different paramilitary organization, but if I had a considerable investment in Scouting, I'd be tempted to look for something else to do. I can't imagine what the local Boy Scout Council is going to do about this decision.

BTW, from what I heard on the radio, gay Scouts are in; gay Scoutmasters are verboten.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Yet another American tradition invaded and destroyed by the liberal cancer in our country. If the Scouts do not want homosexuals in their midst, that is their right and their decision.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    ive got not issue with gays. My only question is how they will handle camping together? They wouldnt allow a girl to camp with a boy, so does that mean they have to sleep in a separate tent?

stretch71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Chandler
    No good will come of this. I forsee the ACLU filing mutiple lawsuits because the BSA did not go all in. Plus as a Boy Scout dad & asstnt. Scoutmaster I can say that any gay Scouts will be likely segregated at almost any Scout function Thus leading to more lawsuits.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Yet another American tradition invaded and destroyed by the liberal cancer in our country. If the Scouts do not want homosexuals in their midst, that is their right and their decision.

And if they do want homosexuals in their midst, that is their right and their decision.

I was a boy scout and got a whole lot of good out of scouting. I think it is a very worthy organization. I am not put off by this decision. To be honest, I was OK with the ban and I am OK with the lifting.

Sharpie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    And if they do want homosexuals in their midst, that is their right and their decision.

I was a boy scout and got a whole lot of good out of scouting. I think it is a very worthy organization. I am not put off by this decision. To be honest, I was OK with the ban and I am OK with the lifting.

I never even thought about the ban when I was in scouting, because such things didn't come up. (It's been a looong time ago, lol!) I'm ok with them lifting the ban, although I feel that it is the organizations right to decide who it lets in. I don't think it's correct to consider the question of camp sleeping arrangements as the same as a boy and girl sleeping together in a tent, as there is no potential for mutual sexual attraction between 2 persons of opposite sexual orientation.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    My understanding is that it is a recommendation only at this point and will need to be voted on by the larger body in May.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Should they ban blacks too?

Your query suggests a lower intellect but I will reply anyway.

The answer is that they should be able to exclude anyone they want. If the public agrees, they will thrive. If the public does not agree, they will cease to exist. This is how it should be. If the Scouts do not homosexuals in their midst, so be it.

Sharpie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    Should they ban blacks too?

Your query suggests a lower intellect but I will reply anyway.

The answer is that they should be able to exclude anyone they want. If the public agrees, they will thrive. If the public does not agree, they will cease to exist. This is how it should be. If the Scouts do not homosexuals in their midst, so be it.

I don't think that Mad Mac's question suggests a low intellect. Although certainly not exactly the same thing, there are many parallels between the discrimination experienced by blacks and that experienced by gays. Exactly how similar depends largely on whether you think homosexuality is a choice or an inherent trait, I think. If you think it's inherent, the discrimination looks much the same. If you don't, then it's easier to draw a distinction between the two. Chosen behavior vs. inherent characteristics.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I don't think that Mad Mac's question suggests a low intellect. Although certainly not exactly the same thing, there are many parallels between the discrimination experienced by blacks and that experienced by gays. Exactly how similar depends largely on whether you think homosexuality is a choice or an inherent trait, I think. If you think it's inherent, the discrimination looks much the same. If you don't, then it's easier to draw a distinction between the two. Chosen behavior vs. inherent characteristics.

The jury's still out on you, Sharpie, but they may be coming back in soon. Doesn't look good.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    as there is no potential for mutual sexual attraction between 2 persons of opposite sexual orientation.

Elephant in the room, Murphys law, etc.

And for the record, just because someone is gay does not make them a rapist, but being a rapist is not limited to being straight. An event will happen and the decision will come under fire again.

Sharpie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    The jury's still out on you, Sharpie, but they may be coming back in soon. Doesn't look good.

Why's that? Just seeking discussion. I apologize if I don't think exactly like everyone here, I have always considered it necessary to analyze issues and seek other points of view. These views may not always jibe with the pre-packaged sound bites that most people use as the basis for their political "beliefs," but I find reasoned discussion more enjoyable than calling people names and dismissing them.

Sharpie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    Elephant in the room, Murphys law, etc.

And for the record, just because someone is gay does not make them a rapist, but being a rapist is not limited to being straight. An event will happen and the decision will come under fire again.

You are suggesting that because a rape may occur between a gay perpetrator and a straight victim, all gays should be banned from Scouting? That seems fairly preposterous to me. Talk about guilty until proven innocent!

Top Bottom