• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    There are two issues at work here. One is whether a local community should be free to hire cops with the attributes it wishes, the other is whether it's a good hiring decision not to hire cops with certain attributes that may be desirable in general, but undesirable in police work.

On the first, I think the city should be free to hire whom it wishes. On the other, it may or may not be a good decision. That would depend on the data.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Absolutely discriminatory. Federal standards in which discriminatory concerns are allowed turn on bona fide occupational qualifications. In this case, requiring a person to be intelligent enough to do the job would be a reasonable requirement. In spite of the stated reasons, my guess is that more likely they want people who are willing to do what they are told without thinking too much in terms of becoming conscientious objectors (i.e., good candidates to be JBTs who follow orders, any orders, without questioning them).

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Absolutely discriminatory. Federal standards in which discriminatory concerns are allowed turn on bona fide occupational qualifications. In this case, requiring a person to be intelligent enough to do the job would be a reasonable requirement. In spite of the stated reasons, my guess is that more likely they want people who are willing to do what they are told without thinking too much in terms of becoming conscientious objectors (i.e., good candidates to be JBTs who follow orders, any orders, without questioning them).

You mean like thugs and goons?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    All hiring practices are discriminatory, by definition. The question is whether the discrimination is effective.

Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    Ive had this very thing happen to me..........I was fresh out of the Navy..I had a wife a brand new daughter and we needed to eat, so I was willing to do whatever it took to provide for my family. I saw an ad in the paper for a lawn company that was hiring. I applied and took their test..it was basically figuring up square footage and being able to read measures. I left thinking I was a shoe in, prior military and I knew I had nailed the test. After a week I gave a call to see if they had filled the position yet and to my surprise they had. When I inquired about where my shortcomings were the lady informed me that my only shortcomings were that I was over qualified. I had aced the test and they were looking for people who they could train to do the job and the math. They had hired people like me in the past and those people had only stayed around long enough to find something that challenged them more. She was right. I would have kept looking for a better job that paid more because this job obviously wasnt brain surgery and had a wage that represented that fact......but I needed a job. I dont think it was right but I can understand their position.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Ive had this very thing happen to me..........I was fresh out of the Navy..I had a wife a brand new daughter and we needed to eat, so I was willing to do whatever it took to provide for my family. I saw an ad in the paper for a lawn company that was hiring. I applied and took their test..it was basically figuring up square footage and being able to read measures. I left thinking I was a shoe in, prior military and I knew I had nailed the test. After a week I gave a call to see if they had filled the position yet and to my surprise they had. When I inquired about where my shortcomings were the lady informed me that my only shortcomings were that I was over qualified. I had aced the test and they were looking for people who they could train to do the job and the math. They had hired people like me in the past and those people had only stayed around long enough to find something that challenged them more. She was right. I would have kept looking for a better job that paid more because this job obviously wasnt brain surgery and had a wage that represented that fact......but I needed a job. I dont think it was right but I can understand their position.

I have a lot more sympathy with a private employer with whom I am not required to interact. I have a major problem with the PD hiring dumbasses who will blindly follow orders rather than people who may think enough to question illegal or otherwise harmful orders.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    That is why when you are desperate for a job you lie. Argued over and over with a friend that was looking for a job and he said McDonalds,BK, and Wendys would not hire him. I asked him what he put on his resume and of course he put down his actual qualifications.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That is why when you are desperate for a job you lie. Argued over and over with a friend that was looking for a job and he said McDonalds,BK, and Wendys would not hire him. I asked him what he put on his resume and of course he put down his actual qualifications.

Based on some of the "engineers" I've interviewed and 1-2 I've hired over the last few years, this strategy is certainly attempted the opposite way.:laugh:

:popcorn:

HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A

Otherwise stated: A lack of reasonable intelligence isn't a bar to employment, an individual with too much demonstrated intelligence will be shown the door before they can even make their way to it.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    People throw the "discrimination" word around much too freely without understanding what it really means. Discrimination in employment applies to protected classes (e.g. disability, age, race, gender) Having a high IQ is not a protected class under the law.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    People throw the "discrimination" word around much too freely without understanding what it really means. Discrimination in employment applies to protected classes (e.g. disability, age, race, gender) Having a high IQ is not a protected class under the law.

"Discrimination" means precisely as others have used it upthread, demonstrating that those who have used it, understand its proper usage, while you, apparently only understand the politically-correct coinage applied to the word to be used as a hammer to force particular sorts of discrimination on employers and others.

HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A

Discrimination means exactly how it is defined by Websters.

Though there is lawful discrimination, or as you have pointed out, unlawful discrimination. We all get the fact that while most discrimination may be legal, we just don't have to like it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    People throw the "discrimination" word around much too freely without understanding what it really means. Illegal discrimination in employment applies to protected classes (e.g. disability, age, race, gender) Having a high IQ is not a protected class under the law.

Fixed it. You are correct. An employer should be discriminating, choosing the people he believes are best suited for the job. We may disagree with the criteria that an employer, police department or otherwise, may use. The criteria may be wise or unwise, but if it's not illegal discrimination as to the protected classes (and some of those are more protected than others) then the market, or electorate, should decide whether the employer was wise or not.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If departments want to hire idiots I guess it's on them. The only problem is the taxpayers end up picking up the tab when these lowest common denominator hires keep screwing up.

Top Bottom