• ...and so much more!
  • Is Ted Cruz a "natural born" citizen?

• Total voters

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    He was born in Canada to an American mother and a Cuban father. His advisors claim that his mother's citizenship transferred to him even though he was born on foreign soil and this makes him eligible for the presidency.

What do you think?

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Well he's at least as much of a citizen as Barak Obama is. But specifically I believe this rule applies:

Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship by a Child Born Abroad

Birth Abroad to One Citizen and One Alien Parent in Wedlock

A child born abroad to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent acquires U.S. citizenship at birth under Section 301(g) of the INA provided the U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for the time period required by the law applicable at the time of the child's birth. (For birth on or after November 14, 1986, a period of five years physical presence, two after the age of fourteen, is required. For birth between December 24, 1952 and November 13, 1986, a period of ten years, five after the age of fourteen, is required for physical presence in the United States or one of its outlying possessions to transmit U.S. citizenship to the child.) The U.S. citizen parent must be genetically related to the child to transmit U.S. citizenship.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Well he's at least as much of a citizen as Barak Obama is.

Worst case, at least Cruz appears to be an "American", culturally speaking. By that I mean not a "I've sealed all my personal records and am a ****ing communist" type of person.

That we know of, at least...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Worst case, at least Cruz appears to be an "American", culturally speaking. By that I mean not a "I've sealed all my personal records and am a ****ing communist" type of person.

That we know of, at least...

Regardless of either Obama or Cruz's thought process, the status of obama's legal citizenship was so damn important to so many. How can those same people not place the same importance on Cruz's legal citizenship status? The truth is that most don't give a rats ass about obama's legal citizenship. It's merely a method to attack and try to remove him.

The issue is not the issue.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Regardless of either Obama or Cruz's thought process, the status of obama's legal citizenship was so damn important to so many. How can those same people not place the same importance on Cruz's legal citizenship status? The truth is that most don't give a rats ass about obama's legal citizenship. It's merely a method to attack and try to remove him.

I don't know if Cruz is eligible - I have just been seeing this argument in the last couple of days, BUT either way DA :rules:IS DA:rules: and if you don't play by them or don't care if they are played by (Obama citizen? I honestly don't know, it should have been answered decisively at the outset. EXTREMELY easy to do. Unless . . . ), then nothing matters. Not even the rule of Law. And that my friend is the beginning of the end. And if one doesn't care then one is part of the problem. Actually the crux of the problem. If we let the politicians play fast and loose with the rules, they will take more and greater liberties with them and we might as well not have any rules at all. Then where does that leave us.

When it comes to Constitutional issues we simply MUST go by the Constitution and unless a part has been amended we have to refer back to the Founding Fathers and the Constitutional Conventions. Yet politicians and the Judiciary seem wholly incapable of doing this. And as it appears, so too are many of the citizenry. They want it to say what is convenient for themselves.

On every question of construction carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." --Thomas Jefferson to William Johnson, 1823. ME 15:449
    Loves me some T. Jeff. :)

Last edited:

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    This issue has been resolved in politics many times already, most recently with McCain. No one on either side is questioning Cruz's citizenship status.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Looking forward to the mental gymnastics of how Obama is inelligible and Cruz is.

What mental gymnastics? As I understand it, the allegation was that Obama was born in Kenya; only briefly visited Hawaii; and was raised in Indonesia. Since the actual facts surrounding his birth and childhood residency were in dispute and only hazily and belatedly revealed, there was room for doubt about his constitutional qualification for his natural-born citizen status. Especially, since he apparently claimed foreign student status in college.

If Cruz meets the constitutional test of natural-born citizenship, he's eligible to run for the Presidency. And, again apparently, Cruz's origins and background are out there for everyone to see.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    The where is it coming from? I haven't look yet? And both of McCain's parents were citizens. He was just born out of country.

And on a military base if I'm not mistaken? Which is hoop-jumping-technically US Soil?

But don't blame me, in that election, I voted for the guy who was born in the US. :D

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    the extent of my knowledge on this issue is only highschool history class....but i thought they said that no matter what, you had to be born on American soil to be eligible for presidency...did they teach me wrong?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    the extent of my knowledge on this issue is only highschool history class....but i thought they said that no matter what, you had to be born on American soil to be eligible for presidency...did they teach me wrong?

Considering the state of public education today, that may very well have been what you were taught in school, but it apparently isn't totally correct. Think about children born to military or diplomatic families stationed outside the United States, such as Senator McCain, who was born while his family was stationed in the Panama Canal Zone.

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    Obama is not a natural born citizen. Cruz is not a natural born citizen. McCain (although I detest him recently because of his senility) is a natural born citizen. Both mother and father were citizens just out of the country at the time of birth.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Well to be fair Hillary Clinton was in a Primary against Obama and was doing everything she could to win. I never thought the Democrats cared that much about his citizenship status and I noticed they dropped the subject the minute he became their nominee. They then began attacking anyone else who brought it up. Democrats seem to have this problem with folks who don't look "American". We saw it just this past week when the Chair of the (SC) DNC said they needed to send Nikki Haley back to "wherever in the Hell she came from."

I think the Democrats have a hard time sometimes letting go of their Bull Connor racist past and every now and then with Hillary, Biden ("Hey, Vote for me, Deleware was a slave state.") and the comments made towards Condeleeza Rice while she was Secretary of State sort of allow the curtain to be pulled back...

Last edited:

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    Well to be fair Hillary Clinton was in a Primary against Obama and was doing everything she could to win. I never thought the Democrats cared that much about his citizenship status and I noticed they dropped the subject the minute he became their nominee. They then began attacking anyone else who brought it up. Democrats seem to have this problem with folks who don't look "American". We saw it just this past week when the Chair of the DNC said they needed to send Nikki Haley back to "wherever in the Hell she came from."

I think the Democrats have a hard time sometimes letting go of their Bull Connor racist past and every now and then with Hillary, Biden ("Hey, Vote for me, Deleware was a slave state.") and the comments made towards Condeleeza Rice while she was Secretary of State sort of allow the curtain to be pulled back...

The Democrats have become the party of the crazies. :n00b: For a group that preaches tolerance, they have proven that they are anything but tolerant. Just a bunch of crazy liars.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Hmmn.

Maybe Republicans are more pragmatic than I thought.

Or, maybe it's just human nature to see your side of things more than the other.

Maybe all sides of an issue do that.

Maybe intellectual honesty isn't a natural trait.

Maybe there's not really all that much demand for hypocrisy police.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't know if Cruz is eligible - I have just been seeing this argument in the last couple of days, BUT either way DA :rules:IS DA:rules: and if you don't play by them or don't care if they are played by (Obama citizen? I honestly don't know, it should have been answered decisively at the outset. EXTREMELY easy to do. Unless . . . ), then nothing matters. Not even the rule of Law. And that my friend is the beginning of the end. And if one doesn't care then one is part of the problem. Actually the crux of the problem. If we let the politicians play fast and loose with the rules, they will take more and greater liberties with them and we might as well not have any rules at all. Then where does that leave us.

When it comes to Constitutional issues we simply MUST go by the Constitution and unless a part has been amended we have to refer back to the Founding Fathers and the Constitutional Conventions. Yet politicians and the Judiciary seem wholly incapable of doing this. And as it appears, so too are many of the citizenry. They want it to say what is convenient for themselves.

Loves me some T. Jeff. :)

And if all you say is true, why is Cruz's name even a possibility. If a natural born citizen is crucial to upholding the entire republic when it's a dem in office, the same should hold true for a repub. but we all know that there are birthers out there who would vote for a non natural citizen with an r next to his name.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Those mental gymnastics work both ways. All those who insisted Obama is eligible will be at the forefront screaming about Cruz' ineligibility. That's how this works.

I won't be voting for Cruz. Obama's citizenship is an issue to me but not to the extent of the birthers who are still harping on it some 6 years later. It's a dead issue. It's going nowhere. I find it laughable that where a man exited a vagina is the last vestige holding this republic together. The republic has been on a ventilator for decades and this is the bill people want to die on?

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And if all you say is true, why is Cruz's name even a possibility. If a natural born citizen is crucial to upholding the entire republic when it's a dem in office, the same should hold true for a repub. but we all know that there are birthers out there who would vote for a non natural citizen with an r next to his name.

There is a legal definition of citizenship and eligibility requirement for POTUS. Those are the rules. Either Cruz meets the requirements or not. Same with Obama. I know voters of either stripe who would vote for a dog before voting for the opposition. Who cares? There are times when it's important to point out hypocrisy. But if I spent all my time pointing out percieved hypocrisy in everyone else, that's all I'd ever do. It's like pointing out everytime humans act self serving....or every time we breathe.

Top Bottom